PDA

View Full Version : Public College 'FREE' for all Students?

Libhater
01-13-2014, 01:58 PM
Government could make Public College Free for all students.

Tuition at public colleges came to $62.6 billion in 2012, according to the latest government data.
That's less than what the government already spends to subsidize the cost of college through grants,
tax breaks, and work-study funds, which comes to about $69 billion. It spends another $107.4 billion
on student loans.

Think of the money saved by eliminating costly government and bureaucracies that only gum up the
works leaving many students in a quandary as to how to pay off those enormous college debts by
instituting or issuing a tuition paid check to all public college students.

http://www.nationofchange.org/how-government-could-make-public-college-free-all-students-1389622771

Mainecoons
01-13-2014, 02:02 PM
As soon as this was done, the government parasites in charge of these colleges would start jacking up tuition. Then they'd have to hire more Federal parasites to fight with the state/local government parasites, who would in turn hire more of themselves to fight with the Feds.

Pretty interesting numbers, though.

nathanbforrest45
01-13-2014, 02:02 PM
The government should get out of the education business all together. All colleges and universities should be private. Colleges and universities get enormous amounts of money from sports coverage and grants from various industries. Couple that with the fact that probably half of the current student body at a minimum should not set foot on a college campus and the private sector could more than cover educating America far better than liberals can.

Mainecoons
01-13-2014, 02:05 PM
It's clear to me that you are a racist or you wouldn't post subversive ideas like taking away the government feedbag for all these educrats.

:grin:

nathanbforrest45
01-13-2014, 02:08 PM
It's clear to me that you are a racist or you wouldn't post subversive ideas like taking away the government feedbag for all these educrats.

You caught me!!!

:afro:

monty1
01-13-2014, 02:09 PM
Government could make Public College Free for all students.

Tuition at public colleges came to $62.6 billion in 2012, according to the latest government data.
That's less than what the government already spends to subsidize the cost of college through grants,
tax breaks, and work-study funds, which comes to about $69 billion. It spends another $107.4 billion
on student loans.

Think of the money saved by eliminating costly government and bureaucracies that only gum up the
works leaving many students in a quandary as to how to pay off those enormous college debts by
instituting or issuing a tuition paid check to all public college students.

http://www.nationofchange.org/how-government-could-make-public-college-free-all-students-1389622771

You're a very confused liberal. I've never seen a better example in a bagger, even though they all portray it eventually!

Mainecoons
01-13-2014, 02:16 PM
You're a very confused liberal. I've never seen a better example in a bagger, even though they all portray it eventually!

Why don't you try addressing the topic?

Libhater
01-13-2014, 02:19 PM

Please don't leave me out of that racist remark, for like you, I am for eliminating the government from the college subsidy list all together. Just bringing up a point of how a little tweaking can save big time money for a government intrusion that is already on the books in the form of college grants, work study funds etc. I know, streamlining our bloated government is a no-no in the lefty world.

The Xl
01-13-2014, 02:20 PM
The answer is for government to get out of the business entirely. These unplayable guaranteed government loans are killing my generation, and inflating the market.

Libhater
01-13-2014, 02:30 PM
The answer is for government to get out of the business entirely. These unplayable guaranteed government loans are killing my generation, and inflating the market.

Agree. Now try convincing the low information Obama voters of this current generation that government isn't or shouldn't be the answer to all their woes. They could start by returning all unused foodstamps and obamaphones just to show that they're being serious.

Mainecoons
01-13-2014, 02:40 PM
Please don't leave me out of that racist remark, for like you, I am for eliminating the government from the college subsidy list all together. Just bringing up a point of how a little tweaking can save big time money for a government intrusion that is already on the books in the form of college grants, work study funds etc. I know, streamlining our bloated government is a no-no in the lefty world.

OK, you're a flaming racist too.

:rofl:

nathanbforrest45
01-13-2014, 03:01 PM
OK, you're a flaming racist too.

:rofl:

How do you know he's flaming?

zelmo1234
01-13-2014, 03:08 PM
OR WE COULD JSUT LET THE PEOPLE TAKE CARE OF IT

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/16/magazine/kalamazoo-mich-the-city-that-pays-for-college.html?_r=0

Funded by those greedy 1% bastards that are only in it for themselves!

kilgram
01-13-2014, 04:08 PM
Must Education be universal or only for those who can pay it?

zelmo1234
01-13-2014, 04:38 PM
Must Education be universal or only for those who can pay it?

In the USA at this time there is not reason for someone not to go to collage with the scholarships and all of the ways that they can borrow money the ability to go is there, the drive is often absent!

Mainecoons
01-13-2014, 04:41 PM
I agree with Nathan. Half of them shouldn't even be there and much of the crap these colleges "teach" is of little or no benefit in the real world.

bladimz
01-13-2014, 05:10 PM
Good Choices
Loans that originate with the U.S. Department of Education are often considered the safest, most affordable form of guaranteed student loan available in the marketplace today. These loans come with a variety of protections, including:

--Flexible payback options
--Limitations on payment size
--Debt forgiveness options
--Locked interest rates

According to documents produced by The White House, two-thirds of those graduating from college have debts of more than $23,000. These guaranteed student loans are designed to reduce the debt burden, as payments are small and forgiveness of the balance can come after a borrower pays on time for a specific number of years.
http://www.simpletuition.com/student-loans/guaranteed/Your generation's higher educational tuition rates are what's killing your generation. Higher Education is now big business (for the time being), with tuition skyrocketing (tuition has increased 559% since 1985 while consumer prices have only doubled. [http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/02/why-tuition-has-skyrocketed-at-state-schools/?_r=0])

There is a certain amount of greed involved. Drastic salary increases in school administration staff, especially college presidents, are a primary example. If this continues, some of you will get your wish in that fewer and fewer kids will find their way into college. As that happens competition for the student's check will increase and a certain amount of schools will close.

I personally don't see any positives to this scenario. It's a moot point anyway. In ten years, most higher education will be conducted online. Colleges, for the middle-class student, are on their way out.

roadmaster
01-13-2014, 05:52 PM
It wouldn't be free for all and we know it.

The Xl
01-13-2014, 05:53 PM
Your generation's higher educational tuition rates are what's killing your generation. Higher Education is now big business (for the time being), with tuition skyrocketing (tuition has increased 559% since 1985 while consumer prices have only doubled. [http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/02/why-tuition-has-skyrocketed-at-state-schools/?_r=0])

There is a certain amount of greed involved. Drastic salary increases in school administration staff, especially college presidents, are a primary example. If this continues, some of you will get your wish in that fewer and fewer kids will find their way into college. As that happens competition for the student's check will increase and a certain amount of schools will close.

I personally don't see any positives to this scenario. It's a moot point anyway. In ten years, most higher education will be conducted online. Colleges, for the middle-class student, are on their way out.

Guaranteed loans allow colleges to jack up rates, that would not be the case if not for the loans.

Mainecoons
01-13-2014, 05:54 PM
It would be a "free for all" of folks wanting to get on the government feed bag.

I'll admit that it is getting a bit crowded there after five years of Obama.

Chloe
01-13-2014, 06:00 PM
Free college would be amazing but at the very least it should much less expensive and people shouldn't be forced into debt for wanting/needing an education in my opinion.

The Xl
01-13-2014, 06:03 PM
Free college would be amazing but at the very least it should much less expensive and people shouldn't be forced into debt for wanting/needing an education in my opinion.

Free college would devalue degrees immensely, effectively turning college into an extension of high school.

I agree about the debt though, it's messed a lot of people up. There is no reason for college to be that expensive, it's an artificially created cost.

Mainecoons
01-13-2014, 06:11 PM
Spend your money on a good trade school in one of the many trades where good jobs are going begging.

Or go to college, listen to a bunch of crap put out by a bunch of "professors" who couldn't hold a real job if their lives depended on it, and when you get out get one of those great jobs at Mickey Ds.

The Xl
01-13-2014, 06:14 PM
Spend your money on a good trade school in one of the many trades where good jobs are going begging.

Or go to college, listen to a bunch of crap put out by a bunch of "professors" who couldn't hold a real job if their lives depended on it, and when you get out get one of those great jobs at Mickey Ds.

This happens a lot, sadly.

Then you have to pay off your lolwtfbbq sized debt with your McDonalds level job.

I assure you that they're not loving it, contrary to McDonalds slogan.

bladimz
01-13-2014, 06:19 PM
Guaranteed loans allow colleges to jack up rates, that would not be the case if not for the loans.That's one way to see it. If it weren't for loans to cover tuitions, many schools would close, and the competition for the student dollar would still exist; just among a smaller circle of colleges. No loans + High tuition = higher education for the wealthy only.

The Xl
01-13-2014, 06:21 PM
That's one way to see it. If it weren't for loans to cover tuitions, many schools would close, and the competition for the student dollar would still exist; just among a smaller circle of colleges. No loans + High tuition = higher education for the wealthy only.

The schools might not exist with the size and luxury most have, but many would exist.

Even if a few closed down, how is that worse? What we have now is degrees becoming more and more worthless, and people my age being destroyed by crippling debt.

bladimz
01-13-2014, 06:25 PM
Spend your money on a good trade school in one of the many trades where good jobs are going begging.That's exactly right. And that's exactly what will eventually happen on a large scale. My partner and i were discussing just this; technical training schools are traditionally low-attendance schools, with the large majority of the students there only because they really don't have much interest in anything. The trades industry (plumbers, HVAC, etc.) are desperate for new, well-trained blood.

bladimz
01-13-2014, 06:33 PM
The schools might not exist with the size and luxury most have, but many would exist.

Even if a few closed down, how is that worse? What we have now is degrees becoming more and more worthless, and people my age being destroyed by crippling debt.No, i'm certainly not saying it's worse. Yes, degrees are losing their worth. As far as the crippling debt, what do you suggest would solve that dilemma? Private bank loans certainly are not the answer. Not everyone is eligible for scholarships. Very few scholarships cover anything more than tuition, and then not even 100% of that. Not all schools are designed with a major sports program in mind. Still a lot of hurdles for those kids who have the brains, but just don't have the $$$.

The Xl
01-13-2014, 06:40 PM
No, i'm certainly not saying it's worse. Yes, degrees are losing their worth. As far as the crippling debt, what do you suggest would solve that dilemma? Private bank loans certainly are not the answer. Not everyone is eligible for scholarships. Very few scholarships cover anything more than tuition, and then not even 100% of that. Not all schools are designed with a major sports program in mind. Still a lot of hurdles for those kids who have the brains, but just don't have the $$$.

Well, if loans weren't guaranteed, college would be less expensive, and for those that couldn't afford it, I'd recommend working for a few years prior to going to college. Hell of a lot better then getting raped by debt.

bladimz
01-13-2014, 07:34 PM
Well, if loans weren't guaranteed, college would be less expensive, and for those that couldn't afford it, I'd recommend working for a few years prior to going to college. Hell of a lot better then getting raped by debt.I'm not following you as for college being not as expensive without guaranteed loans... i guess i'm missing something.

But i can tell you that as for your recommendation, 90% of the time that just doesn't work out. 1. Find a job. 2. find a job that pays enough for you to cover your expenses and put something substantial away for college. 3. Avoid unexpected expenses (:grin:) like (a) accidents/hospital stays (b) pregnancies (c) sure bets that really aren't, and 4. Don't get (a) fired or (b) laid off or (c) arrested. You know. Things like that.

Cigar
01-15-2015, 11:25 AM
Seriously! We need to give Americans a free College Education!
http://assets.amuniversal.com/d2518b007df80132be15005056a9545d.jpg