PDA

View Full Version : Mitt Romney Speaks to an Empty Stadium in Detroit

Conley
02-25-2012, 02:33 PM
http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/4f47e332ecad047038000010/mitt-romney-empty-stadium.jpg

Mitt Romney "unveiled" his economic plan — again — to about 1,200 members of the Detroit Economic Club this afternoon.

For a speech about taxes, that's a pretty good turnout. So good, in fact that the campaign had to find a bigger venue.

Their solution? Ford Field Stadium, the 65,000-seat football arena.

According to the Detroit Free Press, the Romney campaign spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out how to make the stadium look full for television cameras:
About 100 news media representatives and 50 or so TV cameras will set up behind the guests, so that it will be clear Romney is speaking to a crowd....They scrapped three earlier plans: one to have Romney stand in the end zone, speaking up to guests seated in the stands; another to have him on the sidelines near midfield, speaking to guests seated in the stadium's middle sections, and an initial plan to hold the event at the Westin Book Cadillac, which quickly became oversold.

Steve Grigorian, chief operating officer for the Economic Club, said the two earlier Ford Field plans were changed because camera angles would have made it appear there was no one in the stadium but Romney.

Their plan worked — kinda. CSPAN coverage actually did not look too bad — the audience, made up mostly of men in suits and ties, filled the screen whenever the cameras panned back.

But this is the 21st century. Reporters at the event immediately began tweeting photos that showed that Romney was, in fact, speaking to an empty stadium.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/mitt-romney-empty-stadium-rally-2012-2#ixzz1nQKxwdDY

What a poor choice for a venue. Isn't there somewhere else he could have chosen?

Mister D
02-25-2012, 02:41 PM
It just looks funny. :grin:

MMC
02-25-2012, 03:21 PM
:shocked: I thought he said he was going to have it filled. I understand it is Detroit, but you mean to tell me not one fan in the house.

Wonder if Obama will come round and then try to fill it up just to shake Romney up. I mean thats what I would do. These damn polls had Romney taking back the lead. I think these pollsters are full of shit.

Conley
02-25-2012, 03:32 PM
It is full...Illuminati so you can't see them. :wink:

Conley
02-25-2012, 03:32 PM
I don't get why they couldn't just rent a bigger theatre.

Mainecoons
02-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Funny how those same "reporters", though, miss it when Obama plays to small crowds.

Mister D
02-25-2012, 03:52 PM
This would have been a great opportunity for a Lions joke but they have been doing better. Shucks.

MMC
02-25-2012, 03:57 PM
Okay so if they remove the Romney family, then security, and then the press. What do we have then?

Conley
02-25-2012, 03:59 PM
Funny how those same "reporters", though, miss it when Obama plays to small crowds.

Does Obama still speak to crowds? It seems to me he's too busy throwing those dinner parties that start at $35,000 a plate. :rollseyes:

jgreer
02-26-2012, 02:47 PM
I already posted this but yea, it looks really bad for Romney. Obama has gotten lots more money and people always will come to see the president talk

Mainecoons
02-27-2012, 01:24 PM
I wouldn't go across the street to listen to Barack Obama, or is his name Barry Soetoro?

Truthfully, the only one of these people I would go listen to is Ron Paul.

MMC
02-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Oh.....alright I confess, I was trying to get into any event Gingrich decided to come and speak around here and talk for a bit. As I want to make sure he understands about that Sacred Honor of his!!!!!

Can't believe this Little Con man has the nerve to even show his face to the American people. IMO the only one left up there with any sort of Republican values and what Republicanism is about. Is Ron Paul. I just wish he never came out with that crap about Jimmy Carter being right on foreign policy. That IMO is one major dedriment he carries.

Captain Obvious
02-29-2012, 05:08 PM
What do Romney and the Cleveland Browns have in common?

Can't sell out a home game.

MMC
02-29-2012, 05:47 PM
What do Romney and the Cleveland Browns have in common?

Can't sell out a home game.

I was going with that they always get pounded! :grin: