PDA

View Full Version : Another Success Story of a Good Guy without a Gun

Cigar
01-15-2014, 08:43 AM
Middle School Teacher Reportedly Stopped 12-Year-Old Alleged Shooter Who Opened Fire On Two
http://www.ccccnm.org/web/images/stories/coaches/2011-2012/Fall/coach-godd-bso-%28masterson-john%29_r.jpg

Officials credit John Masterson, an eighth-grade social studies teacher, with saving lives as he immediately stepped in and talked the boy into dropping his weapon. Masterson then held him until authorities arrived.

"He stood there and allowed the gun to be pointed right at him," Gov. Susana Martinez told a packed room of 1,500 or so people at a prayer vigil late Tuesday, "so there would be no more young kids hurt."

Officials also credit previous "active shooter" drills by Roswell Independent School District for preparing teachers and students, who say they were ready for what happened Tuesday morning. Students say they even thought the shooting was a surprise drill at first.

"I thought it was a drill. I really did," James said. "Then, I realized it wasn't."

Read more: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/roswell_middle_school_shooting

If only the teacher was armed ... wait ... I hear a noise

Chris
01-15-2014, 08:44 AM
Why do you troll your anti-gun agenda with this good news story?

Cigar
01-15-2014, 09:20 AM

Because I know for a fact there's no credible argument against it. :wink:

jillian
01-15-2014, 09:21 AM

why do you troll your anti-government agenda on every thread?

Adelaide
01-15-2014, 11:44 AM

If the teacher had done it with a gun, someone would definitely have posted about "hooray for guns". Just let it go.

Anyways, sounds like the guy was brave for what he did.

McCool
01-15-2014, 01:04 PM
Because I know for a fact there's no credible argument against it. :wink: Sure there is. The teacher's chances of survival would have increased. It's just plain dumb luck that this dude isn't lying in a morgue.

I haven't had much contact with you, but something tells me that you and "facts" fight each other at every turn.

Chris
01-15-2014, 01:08 PM

Are you saying you can put forth a credible argument? Let's hear it.

Chris
01-15-2014, 01:09 PM

My response to cigar was not anti-government, so, wrong again, jillian. Try harder.

Chris
01-15-2014, 01:11 PM
If the teacher had done it with a gun, someone would definitely have posted about "hooray for guns". Just let it go.

Could you show us an example of this on the forum? Someone taking advantage of a happy ending to a tragic situation to support guns. I don't read everything, perhaps there is?

Adelaide
01-15-2014, 01:26 PM
Could you show us an example of this on the forum? Someone taking advantage of a happy ending to a tragic situation to support guns. I don't read everything, perhaps there is?

Were you posting after Newtown or Aurora? Thread after thread... I'm not going to hunt them down for you. I'm busy writing a blog post. I can't believe you are claiming to never have seen any of those threads.

Chris
01-15-2014, 01:33 PM
Were you posting after Newtown or Aurora? Thread after thread... I'm not going to hunt them down for you. I'm busy writing a blog post. I can't believe you are claiming to never have seen any of those threads.

I saw many a discussion on those tragedies. I never saw a pro-gun advocate use those tragedies to push an agenda. That was my challenge here.

Peter1469
01-15-2014, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the good news story- the guy is a hero.

Middle School Teacher Reportedly Stopped 12-Year-Old Alleged Shooter Who Opened Fire On Two

http://www.ccccnm.org/web/images/stories/coaches/2011-2012/Fall/coach-godd-bso-(masterson-john)_r.jpg

Officials credit John Masterson, an eighth-grade social studies teacher, with saving lives as he immediately stepped in and talked the boy into dropping his weapon. Masterson then held him until authorities arrived.

"He stood there and allowed the gun to be pointed right at him," Gov. Susana Martinez told a packed room of 1,500 or so people at a prayer vigil late Tuesday, "so there would be no more young kids hurt."

Officials also credit previous "active shooter" drills by Roswell Independent School District for preparing teachers and students, who say they were ready for what happened Tuesday morning. Students say they even thought the shooting was a surprise drill at first.

"I thought it was a drill. I really did," James said. "Then, I realized it wasn't."

Read more: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/roswell_middle_school_shooting

If only the teacher was armed ... wait ... I hear a noise

Peter1469
01-15-2014, 04:50 PM
Sure there is. The teacher's chances of survival would have increased. It's just plain dumb luck that this dude isn't lying in a morgue.

I haven't had much contact with you, but something tells me that you and "facts" fight each other at every turn.

Not necessarily. A gun is just a tool. If you have one available, it doesn't mean you need to use it. Anyway, the teacher didn't have that tool. So he adapted and overcame.

Mr Happy
01-15-2014, 04:53 PM

http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/21296-Too-Bad-He-Didn-t-Have-A-Gun-To-Defend-Himself?p=489317#post489317
Not exactly a happy ending, but definitely somebody taking advantage of a tragic situation...

nic34
01-15-2014, 04:59 PM

How is it simply "anti" gun?

How about "pro- use guns as last resort" agenda...

Chris
01-15-2014, 05:42 PM
How is it simply "anti" gun?

How about "pro- use guns as last resort" agenda...

OK, why do you troll your pro-gun-control agenda with this good news story?

Help?

Chris
01-15-2014, 05:44 PM
http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/21296-Too-Bad-He-Didn-t-Have-A-Gun-To-Defend-Himself?p=489317#post489317
Not exactly a happy ending, but definitely somebody taking advantage of a tragic situation...

That links to you saying "And if there were tighter gun controls maybe this wouldn't have happened."

nic34
01-15-2014, 05:46 PM
OK, why do you troll your pro-gun-control agenda with this good news story?

Help?

What trolling?

And we all have "agendas"....

Chris
01-15-2014, 05:50 PM
What trolling?

And we all have "agendas"....

Yes, we all have opinions, agendas and etc. Cigar's not here to discuss anything. The troll is found at the end of the OP: "If only the teacher was armed ... wait ... I hear a noise"

What word would you prefer?

McCool
01-15-2014, 06:39 PM
Not necessarily. A gun is just a tool. If you have one available, it doesn't mean you need to use it. Anyway, the teacher didn't have that tool. So he adapted and overcame. You're right, of course. He used his maturity and experience and whatever else he had overtake that kid. He is a hero. I just let cigar's flame baiting get to me.

darroll
01-15-2014, 07:07 PM
It's not about guns.
The kid finished what he started out to do.
Our leaders have no idea as to deal with this kind of thing.
Maybe school uniforms will end this.

Peter1469
01-15-2014, 07:18 PM
It's not about guns.
The kid finished what he started out to do.
Our leaders have no idea as to deal with this kind of thing.
Maybe school uniforms will end this.

right, that is why the teacher talked him down.

zelmo1234
01-15-2014, 07:30 PM

You know here is a study from HARVARD, You remember HARVARD! You know the collage that makes Obama the smartest man on the planet according to you and the other libs.

http://theacru.org/acru/harvard_study_gun_control_is_counterproductive/

They disagree?

http://marquettetribune.org/2012/02/14/news/concealed-carry-prevents-more-crime-than-it-creates-study-says/

Here is another, but lets just look at some of those Gun Free zones! Lots of deaths there, tons of them in fact.

So now what you have been proven WRONG again! Or is Harvard just a place for hacks and losers?

zelmo1234
01-15-2014, 07:31 PM

I really think that you and Chris should get a room!

zelmo1234
01-15-2014, 07:32 PM

He was, very brave and had the active shooter training so he did not just wait for the shooter to come and shoot fish in a barrel.

It would be great if all teachers would go through this training!

zelmo1234
01-15-2014, 07:33 PM
Sure there is. The teacher's chances of survival would have increased. It's just plain dumb luck that this dude isn't lying in a morgue.

Cigar is a legend in his own mind!

Chris
01-15-2014, 07:41 PM
Cigar is a legend in his own mind!

I think you and cigar should get a room. :-P