PDA

View Full Version : Obama to Dems: I'll act with or without Congress

Cigar
01-16-2014, 11:26 AM
President Barack Obama has told Senate Democrats he plans to use his executive authority to act in 2014 when Congress stands in his way.

Obama met with senators from his own party Wednesday at the White House. The White House says Obama and Democrats discussed proposals to raise the minimum wage and efforts to pass a comprehensive immigration overhaul. Education initiatives and jobs measures were also on the agenda.

The White House says Obama wants to work with Congress to make progress, but will also act on his own to get things done.

The meeting was the first such session of 2014 and comes two weeks before Obama is set to deliver his State of the Union address.

Read more: http://news.yahoo.com/obama-dems-39-ll-act-without-congress-004736977--politics.html

It's bout time ,,, fucking "A" :laugh:

BB-35
01-16-2014, 11:31 AM
President Barack Obama has told Senate Democrats he plans to use his executive authority to act in 2014 when Congress stands in his way.

Obama met with senators from his own party Wednesday at the White House. The White House says Obama and Democrats discussed proposals to raise the minimum wage and efforts to pass a comprehensive immigration overhaul. Education initiatives and jobs measures were also on the agenda.

The White House says Obama wants to work with Congress to make progress, but will also act on his own to get things done.

The meeting was the first such session of 2014 and comes two weeks before Obama is set to deliver his State of the Union address.

Read more: http://news.yahoo.com/obama-dems-39-ll-act-without-congress-004736977--politics.html

Ahhh,Il Douche' shows his true colors

MrJimmyDale
01-16-2014, 11:32 AM
Easy to say........harder to do..........

zelmo1234
01-16-2014, 11:34 AM
You know Treason is one of the crimes that you can still be hung for!

I think he is likely to loose his Court Case and thus his power of the pen.

This actually could be something great! This may turn the tide on Presidential power! Lets face it both republicans and democrats have been abusing it for a long time!

Cigar
01-16-2014, 11:40 AM
Ahhh,Il Douche' shows his true colors

That's right ... enough fucking around and waiting for bipartisanship ... should have done this starting 2010

On Inauguration Night 2009, The GOP tipped their hand ... so Screw them ... Wide, Deep and Dry ... No Flowers, No Kiss!

jillian
01-16-2014, 11:42 AM
You know Treason is one of the crimes that you can still be hung for!

like shutting down the government and intentionally trying to destroy the full faith and credit of the US government? i think you should take that up with ted cruz and his buddies.

I think he is likely to loose his Court Case and thus his power of the pen.

your basis for that belief?

This actually could be something great! This may turn the tide on Presidential power! Lets face it both republicans and democrats have been abusing it for a long time!

good luck with that. i'll just point out that not a single one of you said boo when regan, daddy bush and baby bush abused their power with actual illegal acts like iran/contra and outng a CIA agent or starting a war based on false intel.... or torturing prisoners... or doing away with habeas corpus.

texan
01-16-2014, 11:51 AM
It will sound awesome in his address, but he is saying nothings changed in the end? He acts without anyone all the time. Including but not limited to:

Allies
Congress
The Senate
The laws

Cigar
01-16-2014, 11:54 AM
It will sound awesome in his address, but he is saying nothings changed in the end? He acts without anyone all the time. Including but not limited to:

Allies
Congress
The Senate
The laws

It's either that or go Play some Golf :laugh:

monty1
01-16-2014, 01:06 PM

This could get interesting now. The teabaggers have so much racist hate in them for Obama that they're just liable to act out if he starts to do some good to change the existing mess they've caused your country. Such as maybe a demonstration on the floor in front of Obama to disrupt his Sotu speech. Is so then it's time to jail some of them for the good of your country.

And I might add, the resistance to his successful peace initiative with Iran is just fucking disgusting. It has to be largely interference by AIPAC which doesn't want to see an progress for peace at all costs. This is a crossroads and it can make Obama one of the greats or it can destroy his progress again. Good people need to start making a noise because there's just too much at stake to have this teabagged. This rises above racist hate politics.

Cigar
01-16-2014, 01:47 PM
Obama weighing executive action on minimum wage?
Here’s some welcome news. At his meeting with Democratic Senators last night, President Obama indicated that he is giving serious consideration to executive action designed to raise the minimum wage for employees of federal contractors, according to one Senator who was present.

Proponents want to see this executive action happen on the merits — they believe it could impact as many as two million employees of federal contractors, and would help the economy. But they also believe such action could give a boost of momentum to the push for a minimum wage hike for all American workers, which obviously would require Congressional approval, but is currently facing Republican opposition.

Senator Bernie Sanders told me in an interview that the president took the idea very seriously when asked about it last night.

“I am very pleased that the president and members of his administration indicated they’re giving very serious consideration to this proposal,” Sanders said. “The president is weighing the pros and cons in terms of the impact on the overall debate.”

-snip-

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2014/01/16/obama-weighing-executive-action-on-minimum-wage/

Sanders wouldn't specify what "cons" might have been brought up in that meeting, but Sargent speculates that some Democrats "could be worried that raising the minimum wage for employees of federal contractors could be counter-productive, sapping momentum in the broader debate."

Sanders disagrees with that and thinks that an executive order raising the minimum wage for federal workers "will have a very significant positive impact on the debate to raise the minimum wage for all American workers."

Sargent points out that the GOP will "scream about Obama tyranny" -- Boehner is already issuing silly warnings -- but "the minimum wage is popular, and Congressional Republicans aren’t."

monty1
01-16-2014, 01:56 PM
Obama being more bold is definitely what is called for. But make no mistake, when he does the rabid right is going to start frothing at the mouth in earnest and I wouldn't doubt if they go and get their guns out. This is getting better and better by the minute and Obama has lots of time left.

If Obama can kick the ingrained feeling of having to be respectful of his white masters 'syndrome', he could make some real waves and save the US before his time expires. There's a slight chance!

Mainecoons
01-16-2014, 01:59 PM
Monty, I am amazed at how the IQ level of your posts went up after I put you on ignore and they come up blank under your name.

:rofl:

The Xl
01-16-2014, 02:01 PM
I don't think Barry Sotero quite understands how our government is supposed to work.

Mainecoons
01-16-2014, 02:03 PM
Actually, I think he understands just how broken it is and is taking advantage of that knowledge.

The Xl
01-16-2014, 02:04 PM
Actually, I think he understands just how broken it is and is taking advantage of that knowledge.

Yeah, the precedent was set long before him, and he's just doing the bidding of bankers and corporate America, but for him to so brazenly come out and say that....

monty1
01-16-2014, 02:05 PM
Monty, I am amazed at how the IQ level of your posts went up after I put you on ignore and they come up blank under your name.

:rofl:

If you are really ignoring me, which is quite doubtful, it means that I have managed to marginalize you and that's progress. Actually, I think I've made a fair amount of progress on this forum by even being able to piss off the righties who are frothing at the mouth mad already. More like an even playing field now at least. Some moral support for Cigar's efforts!

Cigar
01-16-2014, 02:05 PM
I don't think Barry Sotero quite understands how our government is supposed to work.

Obama can raise the hourly rate for any Contract or Government worker ... and he don't need your permission sport. :laugh:

monty1
01-16-2014, 02:06 PM
Obama can raise the hourly rate for any Contract or Government worker ... and he don't need your permission sport. :laugh:

Get em Cigar! They're not on the run yet but their tails are tucked up between their back legs already!

Cigar
01-16-2014, 02:09 PM
Get em Cigar! They're not on the run yet but their tails are tucked up between their back legs already!

What tail do they have?

That got ripped off during the first election ... then their balls the second.

Now they're just blowing air for the next 3 years. :laugh:

MrJimmyDale
01-16-2014, 02:09 PM
Get em Cigar! They're not on the run yet but their tails are tucked up between their back legs already! Get a room.........

Peter1469
01-16-2014, 04:43 PM
like shutting down the government and intentionally trying to destroy the full faith and credit of the US government? i think you should take that up with ted cruz and his buddies.

good luck with that. i'll just point out that not a single one of you said boo when regan, daddy bush and baby bush abused their power with actual illegal acts like iran/contra and outng a CIA agent or starting a war based on false intel.... or torturing prisoners... or doing away with habeas corpus.

The US wasn't going to default by not increasing the debt limit. :shocked:

zelmo1234
01-16-2014, 04:44 PM
This could get interesting now. The teabaggers have so much racist hate in them for Obama that they're just liable to act out if he starts to do some good to change the existing mess they've caused your country. Such as maybe a demonstration on the floor in front of Obama to disrupt his Sotu speech. Is so then it's time to jail some of them for the good of your country.

And I might add, the resistance to his successful peace initiative with Iran is just fucking disgusting. It has to be largely interference by AIPAC which doesn't want to see an progress for peace at all costs. This is a crossroads and it can make Obama one of the greats or it can destroy his progress again. Good people need to start making a noise because there's just too much at stake to have this teabagged. This rises above racist hate politics.

Still waiting for you to show me those examples of TEA party racial hate! Have not come up with any yet?

zelmo1234
01-16-2014, 04:46 PM
obama being more bold is definitely what is called for. But make no mistake, when he does the rabid right is going to start frothing at the mouth in earnest and i wouldn't doubt if they go and get their guns out. This is getting better and better by the minute and obama has lots of time left.

If obama can kick the ingrained feeling of having to be respectful of his white masters 'syndrome', he could make some real waves and save the us before his time expires. There's a slight chance!

you never did tel us how ding just the opposite of what harper is doing that is working in your country, is going to save ours?

zelmo1234
01-16-2014, 04:48 PM
If you are really ignoring me, which is quite doubtful, it means that I have managed to marginalize you and that's progress. Actually, I think I've made a fair amount of progress on this forum by even being able to piss off the righties who are frothing at the mouth mad already. More like an even playing field now at least. Some moral support for Cigar's efforts!

Except what you are promoting doesn't work, it did not work for your country, but the things that you are against are the things that your current leadership are doing, and they are working wonders.

So while you may succeed in making some people angry. You are still wrong!

zelmo1234
01-16-2014, 04:49 PM

Prevailing wage is 28 bucks an hour? how high do you think it needs to be?

hanger4
01-16-2014, 04:55 PM
Obama can raise the hourly rate for any Contract or Government worker ... and he don't need your permission sport. :laugh:Yup, BUT Congress still has to appropriate the funds.

BB-35
01-16-2014, 05:55 PM

oh jeeze :rollseyes:

jillian
01-16-2014, 07:34 PM
The US wasn't going to default by not increasing the debt limit. :shocked:

Only if we pretended that we could pick and choose what we pay for.

And only if we pretend that our messing around with our ability to pay isn't going to affect people's faith in the dollar, our credit rating bad the interest we pay.

But it I'm aware that there was a school of thought that put forth your premise.

zelmo1234
01-16-2014, 08:26 PM
Except that defaulting is not paying on the debt that you have.

Not paying for the Cowboy Poetry Festival is not defaulting!

Mainecoons
01-16-2014, 08:28 PM
Only if we pretended that we could pick and choose what we pay for.

And only if we pretend that our messing around with our ability to pay isn't going to affect people's faith in the dollar, our credit rating bad the interest we pay.

But it I'm aware that there was a school of thought that put forth your premise.

No, as usual you don't understand economics. The U.S. would not have defaulted unless it chose to do so.

You should have supported doing so. There's no other way to get rid of all the debt progressives have piled on. It is unpayable.