PDA

View Full Version : The myth of Christian values

jgreer
02-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Christians like to think that treating people right is a christian value. Actually its not. There are lots of jews, muslims, Atheists, Buddists and so on who do the same. Christians come in all different kinds (look at Santorum) same thing for other religions and ones without religion. Think about it :flag:

Mister D
02-28-2012, 01:01 PM
It is a Christian value. It's also a Jewish value etc.

Please stop thinking. You'll hurt yourself.

jgreer
02-28-2012, 01:05 PM
Its funny tho when people like Santorum and his people say they are christian and want to get back to christian values but in fact he just attacks people. doesn't seem christian to me.

jgreer
02-28-2012, 01:06 PM
santorum does not give money to his church either so how is he a good Christian...... he hates gays and other religions

Conley
02-28-2012, 01:13 PM
What on earth is the point of this train wreck? I'm not getting it. :huh:

Mister D
02-28-2012, 01:13 PM
Why did you start this thread?

jgreer
02-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Because in the other thread people were talking about how America was founded on christian values

my point is that atheists have these values too and muslim, jews or whoever and a lot of christians don't follow their own values so it is silly to call them christian values

MMC
02-28-2012, 01:34 PM
Christians like to think treating people right.....is a Christian value. :shocked: :geez: :wtf20:

Alias
02-28-2012, 01:34 PM
Its funny tho when people like Santorum and his people say they are christian and want to get back to christian values but in fact he just attacks people. doesn't seem christian to me.

Jesus attacked people.

jgreer
02-28-2012, 01:35 PM
Jesus attacked people.

how?

Alias
02-28-2012, 01:41 PM
how?

It's right there in your bible. You never read when Jesus attacked the Pharisees? Then there was the attack on the money changers in the temple when he tore the place up and drove them out by whipping them?

Chris
02-28-2012, 02:03 PM
Money changers for example.

That Christian values are shared fairly universally makes them good and not a myth.

Shared is key.

wingrider
02-29-2012, 12:49 AM
ever heard of the money changers in the temple.. or how about how he called the scribes and pharasees hipocrits and vipers..

it is all in the new testament .. please read it.

jgreer
02-29-2012, 03:44 PM
Christians like to think treating people right.....is a Christian value. :shocked: :geez: :wtf20:

Right they think only Christians do that.

See you can be a good person without being a christian

jgreer
02-29-2012, 03:45 PM
Money changers for example.

That Christian values are shared fairly universally makes them good and not a myth.

Shared is key.

sorry guys i guess i don't know the bible as well as you

Chris you are right the key is shared it is not just christian its about being good people

MMC
02-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Right they think only Christians do that.

See you can be a good person without being a christian

I know Plenty of Christians that don't make such a judgement upon others.

Chris
02-29-2012, 04:33 PM
You're right, MMC.

Alias
02-29-2012, 04:47 PM
All Christians are imperfect. Perfection is not attainable and if that is your goal as a Christian then you're gonna be miserable. As bad as that may be, giving in to intimidation by non-believers to be silent is far worse. Be bold.

Captain Obvious
02-29-2012, 05:15 PM
Some of my best friends are Christian.

Alias
02-29-2012, 07:53 PM
I'm a collosal sinning psychobilly saved by the Grace of God and I'm eternally grateful.

spunkloaf
03-04-2012, 09:21 PM
jgreer buddy I used to have alot of the same anger as you are experiencing towards the same things. You will realize sooner or later that sarcasm and cynicism will only initiate an unproductive debate, no matter how strong your feelings are. Try separating opinions from facts and serve your opinions with a grain of salt. Otherwise you're no different from the assholes who summon that anger in you.

I agree about Santorum. (does he really not give money to his church?) He is a very intolerant man. He is also visibly frustrated and disturbed.

Mr. D and I once had numerous debates about religion being responsible for the human principles of decency and respect. The truth is that religion probably had quite an influence on our morals, though it can't be said how much. I completely understand your frustration in people who seem to take sole responsibility for blessing all of us with common human decency and using that credit to their advantage. Yes, it's wrong to do that. Yes, there are a bunch of assholes who are going to continue to do it. Why let it bother you if you know what the truth is?

On a similar topic, there's the silly notion that America has an obligation to respect and protect Christianity. Additionally there are people who obtusely misinterpret the first amendment to a great dogmatic advantage.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

To me, the text is in black and white. It is simple. The government does not respect any establishment of religion, except to say that government can't prohibit the free exercise of religion by the people. Unfortunately some people think that interpretation doesn't adequately serve their personal principles or religious ambitions.

For instance, recently a woman on a Yahoo News comment board had the gull to proclaim that the constitution "...Gives us the freedom OF religion only because the founding fathers didn't want one national religion. The constitution doesn't give us the freedom FROM religion, though..."

You can't imagine how much I wanted to just slap the shit out of that ho. :angry:

Conley
03-04-2012, 09:46 PM
Yeah, Santorum released his taxes and he doesn't give much at all to his church. He's made good money since he left the Senate.

http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/2054-Santorum-s-Charitable-Donations

Captain Obvious
03-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Yeah, Santorum released his taxes and he doesn't give much at all to his church. He's made good money since he left the Senate.

http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/2054-Santorum-s-Charitable-Donations

Santorum has a history of being just another good ol' boy working the system to his benefit.

Peter1469
03-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Santorum needs to run for state office. That is where these social issues should play out.

Our Founders only gave the federal government limited powers. The federal government has no authority over this stuff.

spunkloaf
03-04-2012, 10:56 PM
Santorum needs to run for state office. That is where these social issues should play out.

Our Founders only gave the federal government limited powers. The federal government has no authority over this stuff.

True. Although, I think the man needs to do some serious soul searching before he runs for anything. I wouldn't wish his reign over anybody right now. He's unsettled over injustices which he perceives to exist but don't.

spunkloaf
03-04-2012, 11:03 PM
Santorum has a history of being just another good ol' boy working the system to his benefit.

By his benefit do you mean an agenda shared by him and those alike? Or something more personal?

Mainecoons
03-05-2012, 07:56 AM

You got that right! Just look at the voting record of this clown.

Ron Paul or forgeddabout it!

wingrider
03-05-2012, 08:03 AM
considering the media bias whee ron paul is concerned you can right him off also,, the media wants romney to against Obama so they are gonna diss RP and others like its cool.. to bad the media has to be complicit in picking who our next president will be... they should all report the news and keep out of the political arena,