PDA

View Full Version : Class War over Workfare

Mister D
02-28-2012, 02:17 PM
In Britain, the Conservative–Liberal Democrat coalition government has introduced a small change into the welfare system, and all hell has broken loose.The reform requires the able-bodied unemployed to work as a condition of their drawing welfare. More specifically, it obligates beneficiaries to put in 30 hours a week for eight weeks at private-sector placements, usually in retail. At the end of the eight weeks, the recipients may be interviewed for a permanent position, thus getting themselves onto the job ladder. If jobseekers drop out after the first week, they have their benefits withdrawn.
A version of this system is already in place in Britain, with recipients being required to work for charities or in the public sector. But, now that the government has involved private companies in the scheme, the professional Left has started to scream bloody murder.

Continues

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/291905/class-war-over-workfare-charles-c-w-cooke

Mister D
02-28-2012, 02:21 PM
They are calling it slavery. :rollseyes:

Conley
02-28-2012, 04:31 PM
Their benefits system is so messed up. I'd like to believe that our out of work would be more agreeable to such a program. People in this country seem more willing to accept the idea of work, though I admit there are those who just want to lie around all day.

Those "slaves" don't know how good they have it. :rollseyes:

Mister D
02-28-2012, 04:37 PM
The only thing I resented was getting notices about having to show up for job training nonsense in a local city. I never showed. I'm actually looking for a job. I don't need counseling from some bureaucratic fat ass.

Conley
02-28-2012, 04:42 PM
Exactly...if you have no skills then you end up working a government job like that. I wouldn't be taking advice from a such a person.