PDA

View Full Version : Winter Storm: North East US

Peter1469
01-21-2014, 01:12 PM
The northeast is being hit by a strong winter storm and it might last another 18 hours. The DC area may get 8 inches. Not a lot, but DC isn't used to it. At least it is the light fluffy snow rather than the wet and heavy snow. But with the temps dropping, it is likely that people not parked in a garage will have a lot of ice around their cars.

It isn't bad out yet, but the wind is gusting over 30mph.

Captain Obvious
01-21-2014, 01:14 PM
It snowed this morning in the Ohio Valley.

Called off school. 1 fucking inch off snow and they call off school. Fucking pussies, we got 16 inches overnight one time and the fucking school bus showed up 5 minutes early the next morning.

Captain Obvious
01-21-2014, 01:16 PM
http://themidwestnashvillian.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/snow-in-the-south.jpg

exotix
01-21-2014, 01:20 PM
http://themidwestnashvillian.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/snow-in-the-south.jpg

It was like 80 degrees yesterday here in North Alabama ... now we're in Polar Vortex again today.

Peter1469
01-21-2014, 01:21 PM
I was surprised they closed so much here. One big issue is the major exit routes from the DC metro area. At least I-66 is too narrow and easily becomes a parking lot. A couple of years ago a major snow storm hit during the evening rush hour, lots of cars broke down or ran out of gas and enough people abandoned their cars that the road was largely blocked. In a major emergency around here, I-66 will become a death trap.

It snowed this morning in the Ohio Valley.

Called off school. 1 fucking inch off snow and they call off school. Fucking pussies, we got 16 inches overnight one time and the fucking school bus showed up 5 minutes early the next morning.

hanger4
01-21-2014, 01:26 PM
Snowing at my house now in the mountians of NC. Those at 3500 ft. or more expecting 4-6 inches. I'm about 2500 ft maybe an inch another over night. High Mt. County Schools closed this morning the rest are closing now. Busses don't do well on snowy/icey mountian roads.

The Xl
01-21-2014, 01:27 PM
It's snowing like a motherfucker over here.

Cigar
01-21-2014, 01:39 PM
Suck it up Sunshine ... It's Winter, and it Snows in Winter.

It's the Fucking Subzero shit that I'm tired of.

My next trip south isn't planned until March, I may have to move that forward.

:laugh:

Mainecoons
01-21-2014, 02:13 PM
On our way to the beach a week ago we saw some snow on top of one of our dormant volcanoes that is about an hour from the Pacific Ocean. 85 at the beach, water temperature 81.

Y'all enjoy your snow, ya hear?

:grin:

nathanbforrest45
01-21-2014, 02:26 PM
The northeast is being hit by a strong winter storm and it might last another 18 hours. The DC area may get 8 inches. Not a lot, but DC isn't used to it. At least it is the light fluffy snow rather than the wet and heavy snow. But with the temps dropping, it is likely that people not parked in a garage will have a lot of ice around their cars.

It isn't bad out yet, but the wind is gusting over 30mph.

DC is used to getting snow jobs all the time. This is nothing new for them

exotix
01-21-2014, 02:57 PM
“bombogenesis”

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01/21/22386800-bombogenesis-the-latest-winter-weather-event-to-wreak-havoc?lite

Term coined by meteorologists to describe an area of low pressure that “deepens rapidly,” creating a strong storm, or cyclone, that intensifies as it moves over the ocean.

To have a bombogenesis situation, a cold air mass needs to meet a warmer one.

That can happen over water or land, although the East Coast is a prime spot during the winter months when the cold arctic air clashes with the warmer Gulf Stream waters, Oravec said.
The barometric pressure drops, sending the winds into overdrive.
Condensation clouds bring the snow or rain.

“Genesis refers to the generating (of the storm), while bomb means it’s an explosive growth”

Captain Obvious
01-21-2014, 02:59 PM
That this?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-GAR3CDpjUhc/UUUTNDpT0lI/AAAAAAAADqc/U8vknyLukVU/s1600/truck-snow-sculpture.jpg

Cigar
01-21-2014, 03:02 PM
That this?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-GAR3CDpjUhc/UUUTNDpT0lI/AAAAAAAADqc/U8vknyLukVU/s1600/truck-snow-sculpture.jpg

There's no such thing as a Unicorn :laugh:

Peter1469
01-21-2014, 03:20 PM
Well the snow is actually sticking, but it isn't that much yet. The wind is still gusting pretty high. I wouldn't want to be in the ocean with this wind. We are supposed to get the heavier snow this evening and tonight.

Ravens Fan
01-21-2014, 03:38 PM
There's about 5-6 inches already here, strong wind gusts are making for near white-out conditions. Tons of accidents coming across the scanner. It's been a few years since we have seen this kinda storm hit us.

Newpublius
01-21-2014, 05:04 PM
Problem with snow days like today isn't so much the accumulation, it was the timing of it all. People woke up and had little excuse not to go to work this morning. So of course you'll have heavy traffic in the snow. I went and got the kids out of daycare at 12:30, my wife had to make it back from Newark and my dad, who I thought was smart by choosing to do a project relatively close by in Wayne took a 10:40 bus into NYC, his office closing at 2:30. Odds are, snow will stop, the roads will be cleared overnight and the roads will be sufficiently cleared where even kids will be going to school tomorrow.

BB-35
01-21-2014, 07:11 PM
On our way to the beach a week ago we saw some snow on top of one of our dormant volcanoes that is about an hour from the Pacific Ocean. 85 at the beach, water temperature 81.

Y'all enjoy your snow, ya hear?

:grin:

Get a rope......:tongue20: