PDA

View Full Version : "c" is for COOKIE!!!!

MrJimmyDale
01-21-2014, 02:10 PM
Girl Scout cookie controversies By The Week Staff | March 3, 2011 Girl Scouts cookies may seem like harmless sweet treats hawked by uniformed cherubs, but the high-caloric cookies are causing controversy and making news across the nation. Here, a quick rundown of the flare-ups: 1. Are Girl Scout cookies killing orangutans? Many of the scouts' cookie varieties contain palm oil, otherwise known as the "No. 1 culprit behind deforestation in Southeast Asia, particularly Indonesia and Malaysia," says Glenn Hurowitz at Grist. When two girl scouts in Michigan learned the cookies were contributing to destroying the habitats of endangered animals like orangutans, pygmy elephants, and Sumatran tigers, they stopped selling the cookies and demanded the Girl Scouts use more environmentally friendly ingredients. The organization has thus far refused to budge. 2. Do Thin Mints trigger violence? Two Florida roommates got violent when one accused the other of eating her Thin Mints. The 31-year-old woman chased her cookie-scarfing roomie with scissors, and hit her with a board. She was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and release on $10,000 bail. For $4, she could have just gotten another box of cookies... 3. Why did Savannah ban the sale of Do-Si-Dos? In Savannah, Ga., where peddling goods on a public sidewalk is forbidden, the Girl Scouts were banned from selling cookies outside the historic home of the group's founder. "I know it doesn't look good," a city zoning administrator said of the ban. "However, other businesses won't care if it's the Girl Scouts or March of Dimes. They're going to say, 'Why can't I sit out front and solicit business?'" After a public outcry, Savannah's city manager intervened to grant the scouts an exception. 4. Did the Scouts fib about trans fats? In January, the Girl Scouts came under fire for labeling their cookies as trans-fats-free, when some varieties do indeed contain the artery-clogging oils. Like Chips Ahoy and Nutter Butters, the scouts take advantage of an FDA loophole that allows them to be less than 100 percent honest in their labeling. A spokesman for the Girl Scouts wouldn't reveal how much trans fat the cookies contain, saying only that the sweet treats are "to be enjoyed in moderation."

Peter1469
01-21-2014, 02:27 PM
When I see the girl scouts I just give them money and tell that that the cookies will make you fat.

Cigar
01-21-2014, 02:35 PM
I likey Girl Scouts

http://www.halloweenandcostumes.com/images/Product/large/7086_2_.jpg

Captain Obvious
01-21-2014, 02:41 PM
I likey Girl Scouts

So do many convicted felons.

Peter1469
01-21-2014, 03:05 PM
Or soon to be convicted felons....

nathanbforrest45
01-22-2014, 10:08 AM
When I see the girl scouts I just give them money and tell that that the cookies will make you fat.

I just give them money (here in Cocke County most are already fat). The reason I give them money and don't take the cookies is because out of the $3.00 a box they get less than 50 cents. If you buy $9.00 worth of cookies they only get $1.50. If you give them $9.00 cash they get $9.00 for that Troop (or whatever it is the little darlings call themselves) which they do not have to share with National.

nathanbforrest45
01-22-2014, 10:09 AM
I likey Girl Scouts

I was a Boy Scout until I was 16, then I became a girl scout.

Captain Obvious
01-22-2014, 10:11 AM
I was a Boy Scout until I was 16, then I became a girl scout.

Still scouting too, I'm guessing.