PDA

View Full Version : Putin warns West against use of military in Syria, Iran

Captain Obvious
02-29-2012, 05:13 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/02/27/putin-warns-west-against-use-military-in-syria-iran/#ixzz1nZGIq1s9

Is Putin correct?

Conley
02-29-2012, 05:28 PM
Well he's right that the "Arab Spring" didn't work out so well for U.S. interests, and you would hope that our administration would have learned its lesson from that regarding the newer developments in Syria.

Captain Obvious
02-29-2012, 05:37 PM
Is he right about our participation in the Arab Spring being wholly or mostly based on our interests in resources there?

Conley
02-29-2012, 05:40 PM
Is he right about our participation in the Arab Spring being wholly or mostly based on our interests in resources there?

I think so. We don't get involved unless our government thinks it serves our interests. NATO's efforts in Libya let a lot of Gaddafi's arms fall into the hands of terrorists also.

MMC
02-29-2012, 05:45 PM
In one aspect he is correct. If I was him I wouldn't dismiss the Aspect of that Sunni Agenda either!

Captain Obvious
02-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Ironically (or hypocritically), Russia's (and China's) position marches in lockstep with what he accuses the West of. Russia is losing economic positioning with the Arab Spring but I give him credit for at least being honest about the matter.

It can also by hypothesized that Russia's and China's stance against "regime change" runs parallel with their efforts to keep their own citizens from becoming too "uppity".

MMC
02-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Ironically (or hypocritically), Russia's (and China's) position marches in lockstep with what he accuses the West of. Russia is losing economic positioning with the Arab Spring but I give him credit for at least being honest about the matter.

It can also by hypothesized that Russia's and China's stance against "regime change" runs parallel with their efforts to keep their own citizens from becoming too "uppity".

Well that would run in line with us. Did you see the piece Conley put up about H.R. 347.....funny they should have called H.R. 357. As in Magnum! :angry:

Conley
02-29-2012, 05:51 PM

Oh yeah, I agree with all of that. I wouldn't expect Russia to be any more ethical than the U.S. or vice versa. Plus, as you're probably aware, there have been massive protests against Putin in Moscow. No doubt he wants to squash them even more than the uprising in Syria.

Mister D
02-29-2012, 06:13 PM

That's certainly true in China's case. Contemporary Russian leaders are just as paranoid as the CCCP was. In fact, in some cases they are the same people. After all, Putin was KGB.

Mister D
02-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Oh yeah, I agree with all of that. I wouldn't expect Russia to be any more ethical than the U.S. or vice versa. Plus, as you're probably aware, there have been massive protests against Putin in Moscow. No doubt he wants to squash them even more than the uprising in Syria.

Anyone who thinks this is about ethics is a fool.

Conley
02-29-2012, 09:05 PM
That's certainly true in China's case. Contemporary Russian leaders are just as paranoid as the CCCP was. In fact, in some cases they are the same people. After all, Putin was KGB.

Yep, and those that weren't KGB were spied on by the KGB, so it all makes sense.