PDA

View Full Version : Is Jeb Bush More Electable Than Romney or Santorum

Conley
03-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Mitt Romney’s tortured triumph in Michigan put him back in the GOP driver’s seat — but that hasn’t quelled the desire among some Republicans to trade up.

Yes, Republicans are still pining for former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush despite his repeated and vehement refusal to be sucked into the 2012 Republican vortex.

And Democrats continue to cast a wary eye on a guy they see as more dangerous — and capable of connecting with middle-class and Latino voters — than Romney.

The Bush murmurs persist, even as a resilient Romney marches toward Super Tuesday with a commanding lead in cash, delegates and momentum over a sagging Rick Santorum.

“I have the perfect candidate — Jeb Bush. But he’s not running,” former George W. Bush chief of staff Andy Card told Charlie Rose on CBS on Wednesday, echoing the sentiments of many in his party.

“What Democrat would not worry about a popular leader from a critical state who sounds pretty moderate and can rescue the GOP from its anti-Latino death grip?” asked former Bill Clinton press secretary Mike McCurry, who said he’s yet to find a Democratic elder who thinks the GOP is truly “unhinged” enough to consider ditching Romney for Bush.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0212/73475.html#ixzz1nulSXYho

It is becoming painfully obvious that Romney or Santorum aren't the answer. Unless Obama makes a major misstep or the economy craters, he's going to be in good shape against either of those two. Now, Bush has said he doesn't want to run, but is it possible he could get the nomination through a brokered convention if he changes his mind? I think he would be miles ahead of the other two.

Mister D
03-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Would you really vote for Bush?

Mister D
03-01-2012, 07:33 PM
To answer your question, yes, I think he is more electable but I'd take Santorum over Bush any day.

Conley
03-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Would you really vote for Bush?

Me personally? I doubt it. I'm almost certainly voting 3rd party. That said if I had to pick between the four, I'd probably go with him.

Mister D
03-01-2012, 07:47 PM
None of them are inspiring in my opinion but I agree with you that he is more electable than Santorum for sure. Not sure if he is more electable than Romney come to think of it.

Mister D
03-01-2012, 07:48 PM
I'm sure Bush is a good man like his brother but his vision is a non-starter for me.

Mainecoons
03-01-2012, 07:51 PM
No more liberal Bushes. The last one gave us BO.

Conley
03-01-2012, 07:51 PM
None of them are inspiring in my opinion but I agree with you that he is more electable than Santorum for sure. Not sure if he is more electable than Romney come to think of it.

IMO Jeb's standing in Florida makes him much more likely to be elected.

Conley
03-01-2012, 07:52 PM
I'm sure Bush is a good man like his brother but his vision is a non-starter for me.

:laugh: I'm taking fire from all sides.

I'm not voting for any of these chumps! I'm just saying if I had to chose I'd go with Jeb. I don't like any of them.

What about you guys? Romney, Santorum or Bush?

Mister D
03-01-2012, 07:58 PM
IMO Jeb's standing in Florida makes him much more likely to be elected.

His brother's legacy will also be his though. Right or wrong.

Mister D
03-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Out of those 4 I'd say I like Santorum the most. In terms of electability I'm not sure if I would go with Romney or Bush.

wingrider
03-01-2012, 08:16 PM
right now no one named Bush is electable for anything. sorry but that is the way it is.. people gonna have to get over George before Jeb can make the move.

Conley
03-01-2012, 08:20 PM
If W ran against Obama right now I think W would win. Maybe I'm crazy...I'm not talking about the popular vote but the electoral. Heck, John freaking McCain would have won had Obama not had that once-in-a-lifetime voter turnout.

Mister D
03-01-2012, 08:23 PM
right now no one named Bush is electable for anything. sorry but that is the way it is.. people gonna have to get over George before Jeb can make the move.

Agreed. Way too soon for Jeb.

Mister D
03-01-2012, 08:27 PM
If W ran against Obama right now I think W would win. Maybe I'm crazy...I'm not talking about the popular vote but the electoral. Heck, John freaking McCain would have won had Obama not had that once-in-a-lifetime voter turnout.

I think Romney has a chance. We agree that young voters and blacks put BO in the White House and we agree that neither group will be displaying anything like the enthusiasm they did in 2008. Plus, I don't think Romnet will generate that negative vote. People won;t come out to vote against Romney like they would Bush at this point, IMO.

Conley
03-01-2012, 08:30 PM
I think Romney has a chance. We agree that young voters and blacks put BO in the White House and we agree that neither group will be displaying anything like the enthusiasm they did in 2008. Plus, I don't think Romnet will generate that negative vote. People won;t come out to vote against Romney like they would Bush at this point, IMO.

That's fair.

RollingWave
03-01-2012, 09:24 PM
didn't Jeb Bush do some good work with education in Florida?

Still, I think the name is working against him not to his own fault at this point.

But still, you can't help to feel how much Romney sound like John Kerry these days, a guy that seems to be living in a totally different world from the rest of the folk and sound awkward most of the time he tries to connect... and at least Kerry had that war vet thing going for him.

Mister D
03-01-2012, 09:27 PM

Still, I think the name is working against him not to his own fault at this point.

But still, you can't help to feel how much Romney sound like John Kerry these days, a guy that seems to be living in a totally different world from the rest of the folk and sound awkward most of the time he tries to connect... and at least Kerry had that war vet thing going for him.

Honestly, most of these guys live in a totally different world than the rest of us.

Conley
03-01-2012, 09:30 PM

He puts his foot in his mouth a lot, it's true. It's unfortunate that one of the keys to gaining the presidency is the ability to speak in meaningless sound bites in a completely unrealistic and vague manner.

wingrider
03-01-2012, 09:44 PM
He puts his foot in his mouth a lot, it's true. It's unfortunate that one of the keys to gaining the presidency is the ability to speak in meaningless sound bites in a completely unrealistic and vague manner.

very true..

Mister D
03-01-2012, 09:47 PM

And crowds applaud. Amazing.

Conley
03-01-2012, 09:49 PM

I made this point before but during the debate when Santorum explained that politics involves compromise it was as if he admitted to killing babies. People just don't get it.

wingrider
03-01-2012, 09:50 PM

I cannot decide if they are seals... or lemmings

Conley
03-01-2012, 09:51 PM
I cannot decide if they are seals... or lemmings

:laugh: Probably a combination of both.

RollingWave
03-01-2012, 10:55 PM
Honestly, most of these guys live in a totally different world than the rest of us.

Yeah, but most of them manage to hide it well enough, Romney however... not so much. (of course he's also more publically exposed so it doesn't help him)

Yes, but the work of a President also include a lot o communication, so it's not like oral skill is irrelevant to the job.

Conley
03-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Yes, but the work of a President also include a lot o communication, so it's not like oral skill is irrelevant to the job.

That's true, but he's getting knocked around for bad jokes and not knowing enough about NASCAR. You probably know that is American car racing. Why should that kind of thing matter? Romney has been very successful at different jobs (governor, private business, the Olympics, etc.) so I think he's probably a very effective communicator.

wingrider
03-02-2012, 12:18 AM
Yeah, but most of them manage to hide it well enough, Romney however... not so much. (of course he's also more publically exposed so it doesn't help him)

check with monica about theses skills LOL

RollingWave
03-02-2012, 01:00 AM
That's true, but he's getting knocked around for bad jokes and not knowing enough about NASCAR. You probably know that is American car racing. Why should that kind of thing matter? Romney has been very successful at different jobs (governor, private business, the Olympics, etc.) so I think he's probably a very effective communicator.

True true, I'm sure he's immeniently qualified to do the job, based on predigree alone he's probably better than anyone in a looooong time . but then again, pedigrees don't always translate into success for top leaders, the most successful Japanese prime minister during it's boom era probably had by far the worst pedigree of them all.

And of course, from a comedian POV these don't really matter, they just like a awkward guy who's easy to find punchlnies in :grin:

wingrider
03-02-2012, 01:58 AM
True true, I'm sure he's immeniently qualified to do the job, based on predigree alone he's probably better than anyone in a looooong time . but then again, pedigrees don't always translate into success for top leaders, the most successful Japanese prime minister during it's boom era probably had by far the worst pedigree of them all.

And of course, from a comedian POV these don't really matter, they just like a awkward guy who's easy to find punchlnies in :grin:

kinda like gerald ford? now that was a fun time LOL

MMC
03-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Jeb Bush would be more electable with the GOP inhouse. But I don't think he is known thru-out the country to well. Maybe moreso with the SE or East Coast. Still I think the Delegates would have much preferred Jeb over Romney.

Mainecoons
03-02-2012, 09:28 AM
All the Bushes are liberals, so was Ford. These are the people who turned the Republican Party into Democrat lite. Let me remind you that Junior not only got us into a totally useless war, he started yet another entitlement program, expanded the Department of Maleducation, and gave us the new Gestapo better known as the Department of Homeland Security.

A pox on all the Bushes!

Mister D
03-02-2012, 09:41 AM
It's why I stopped my subscription to National Review a few years back. They went neocon. I still read the online version here and there because they have some good writers (e.g. John Derbyshire) but the neocons have changed the party and the "conservative" philosophy substantially.

ramone
03-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Agreed. Way too soon for Jeb.

Come listen to a story bout a man named Jeb
Rich politician and he keeps his family fed
His brother messed with sands because he wanted all that crude
Now Obammy's in the house and we're gonna get screwed.

They are all the same I think, Paul 2012 for a real change.......

Captain Obvious
03-03-2012, 08:17 PM
I think Romney is more electable than any of these other monkeys. I'm not a huge Romney fan, but he's a bit of a centrist. Jeb, Newt and Santorum are all extremists in one form or another - all righties though. Independents are more likely to vote for centrists, righties will generally always vote righty.

cindy
03-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Romney is the only good man in the bunch! The rest are dogs and Stantorum too

Mainecoons
03-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Sure if you love Republicrats, Romney is your guy. Why not just vote for Obama and let him take the fall for the same kinds of policies that Romney would support?

Tell us, do you know what the prototype for ObamaCare was?

Hint: Substitute "Romney" for "Obama" and you have your answer.

Mister D
03-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Come listen to a story bout a man named Jeb
Rich politician and he keeps his family fed
His brother messed with sands because he wanted all that crude
Now Obammy's in the house and we're gonna get screwed.

They are all the same I think, Paul 2012 for a real change.......

That was beautiful Ramone. :grin:

Captain Obvious
03-03-2012, 08:35 PM
I understand Romney's role in governmental healthcare, thanks for the tip though.

It's one of several reasons that cool me off about the guy - I've never been a staunch supporter of Romney in any fashion. My history of dialogue on the guy here is testament to that.

My statement was a purely unbiased one and more of an observation. I'm suggesting, my politics aside, that Romney of all the GOP candidates is more electable.

Having said that, my ideal GOP candidate would be a purely fiscal conservative. Jeb could be that maybe, I don't know a lot about Jeb. Newt is kinda that to some degree but he brings too much baggage to the table. He's not a guy I would readily support but at the end of the day, save Santorum - I'm supporting anyone who opposes BO.

Conley
03-04-2012, 08:57 PM
So uh, how do you guys feel about Jeb?

http://i.imgur.com/JHA1d.gif

:grin:

wingrider
03-05-2012, 08:00 AM
So uh, how do you guys feel about Jeb?

http://i.imgur.com/JHA1d.gif

:grin:

substitute those lions for jackals or hyenas and you would be more correct.. it seems the rebublican party is eating their own right now. I know it is a weeding out process but some of these attacks are downright uncalled for.