PDA

View Full Version : Obama Says, He is Not Bluffing on Iran.....

MMC
03-02-2012, 04:03 PM
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama warned that he is not bluffing about attacking Iran if it builds a nuclear weapon, but in an interview published Friday, Obama also cautioned U.S. ally Israel that a premature attack on Iran would do more harm than good.

In his most expansive remarks on the issue thus far, Obama told The Atlantic magazine that Iran and Israel both understand that "a military component" is among a mix of many options for dealing with Iran, along with sanctions and diplomacy. That is the most direct threat he has issued during months of escalating tension with Iran over its disputed nuclear development program.

His comments appeared aimed more at Israel and its supporters in the United States than at Iran. Obama addresses the influential American Israel Public Affairs Committee on Sunday and meets with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu Monday at the White House. Netanyahu will also address AIPAC.

Obama will try to convince Netanyahu to postpone any plans his government may have to unilaterally attack Iran's nuclear facilities in coming months. An attack that soon would not carry U.S. backing, and the U.S. would probably not be involved in planning or executing it.

Israeli leaders have strongly hinted that they want to hear clearer terms from Obama for what the United States would do if Iran crosses the threshold from nuclear energy to nuclear weapons. Until now, Obama has said a nuclear Iran is unacceptable but has not spelled out just what the U.S. would do or when.

Israeli officials acknowledge the pain in Iran but have publicly expressed doubt those measures will ever cause Iran's clerical leaders to change course.

In the interview, Obama did go further than he has before. He explicitly referred to the possible use of military force, and he firmly rejected the notion that the United States might settle for a strategy of deterring Iran from using a nuclear weapon.....snip~

http://news.yahoo.com/interview-obama-says-hes-not-bluffing-iran-130532562.html
Associated Press – 3 hrs ago<<<<< More Here!

Khamenie came out and stated they will not change course. Today Iran is having their alleged elections. So if others were waiting to see if there was going to be a flip of the script there. They are SOL.

Conley
03-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Obama also cautioned U.S. ally Israel that a premature attack on Iran would do more harm than good.

There's nothing premature about it. By the time Obama makes up his mind Iran will already have nuclear capabilities. This idea of waiting for sanctions to take hold (which have already been around for a long time) is absurd and plays right into the Iranians' hands.

Mainecoons
03-02-2012, 04:55 PM
Well, I just don't see how you can be so skeptical. I mean, sanctions have such a great track record, right? You know, like Iraq, North Korea, (fill in blanks).

Of course, if the U.S. would simply make itself energy independent, we wouldn't have to be constantly dealing with these Islamic nut job countries. It would be the Europeans problem and as far as I'm concerned we should let them deal with it.

Conley
03-02-2012, 05:38 PM
I know, I'm being sooo cynical! Iran will probably just stop with the nuclear stuff if we ask politely.

If gas prices keep going up like this it will only speed up alternative energy investment and research.

MMC
03-02-2012, 09:13 PM
I agree with what you stated MC.

ramone
03-03-2012, 12:43 PM
He explicitly referred to the possible use of military force, and he firmly rejected the notion that the United States might settle for a strategy of deterring Iran from using a nuclear weapon

He hasn't rejected anything from any middle east country since he has been in office. I don't look for that to change anytime soon, it is more smoke and mirrors from the progressive liberals because of the election. He has head bobbed every middle east dictator and president that he has met. Must be his muslim breeding showing through.

In the end he will do nothing, same as he has for the past three years besides destroying our economy and giving our tax money to the lazy people who don't pay taxes. Same with the occupy people he supports, I bet around 1 out of 50 would take a job if you offered it to them.

MMC
03-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Notice he ran down to the Atlantic Magazine for this little ditty. Is that part of the Atlanta Journal or whatever? Why Not the NY Times or Washington Post, his usual supporters.

Captain Obvious
03-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Great avatar, Ramone.

Mister D
03-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Obomba doesn't appear to have much compunction about dropping lots of ordnance on Muslims.

MMC
03-03-2012, 04:40 PM
As long as they are not Sunni Muslims.....that is!

ramone
03-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Great avatar, Ramone.

Thank you, I consider Obama to be a parasite who is sucking the life blood out of our Republic. Kind of like this, click it for a bigger image. :)

Mainecoons
03-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Obama is a reflection of a political system broken beyond repair and a debased, badly educated, government addicted population who would vote for an Obama.

Captain Obvious
03-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Thank you, I consider Obama to be a parasite who is sucking the life blood out of our Republic. Kind of like this, click it for a bigger image. :)

Heh, heh - fully engorged.

spunkloaf
03-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Iran wants to thumb their nose at us. Great. We had nukes, after all. Why can't they? I'm just trying to see their perspective with that, not trying to make excuses for them. Honestly I think if they are smart enough to build a nuke, they are smart enough to understand the ramifications of using one against anybody else unprovoked. Of course, let's keep our eyes on them, sure. In any case, for us to escalate the situation because it's possible they have a nuke...really. So much could have happened in the wake of our tensions with Iran already, and it hasn't.

spunkloaf
03-03-2012, 08:26 PM
Of course I understand that we don't nearly trust their security of such a dangerous weapon as we did with ourselves.

Captain Obvious
03-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Iran wants to thumb their nose at us. Great. We had nukes, after all. Why can't they? I'm just trying to see their perspective with that, not trying to make excuses for them. Honestly I think if they are smart enough to build a nuke, they are smart enough to understand the ramifications of using one against anybody else unprovoked. Of course, let's keep our eyes on them, sure. In any case, for us to escalate the situation because it's possible they have a nuke...really. So much could have happened in the wake of our tensions with Iran already, and it hasn't.

Even in light of your follow-up reply, I don't agree with your statement that they are "smart enough" to understand the consequences.

This is the same regime that denies the Holocaust. They are hell bent against Jews and the West.

I'm guessing that they are hoping Israel strikes them, that may unify Arabs against Israel and cause more chaos and conflict in the region - what is what Iran is all about. You really think they're not supplying insurgents across the region with military aid?

spunkloaf
03-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Even in light of your follow-up reply, I don't agree with your statement that they are "smart enough" to understand the consequences.

This is the same regime that denies the Holocaust. They are hell bent against Jews and the West.

I'm guessing that they are hoping Israel strikes them, that may unify Arabs against Israel and cause more chaos and conflict in the region - what is what Iran is all about. You really think they're not supplying insurgents across the region with military aid?

I'm not saying that isn't true. They are probably also hoping that we invade them to look for nukes where we end up finding nothing so that they can use that against us. Who the fuck knows.

Captain Obvious
03-03-2012, 10:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_HH_jher3c

ramone
03-04-2012, 08:13 PM

Well, I'll agree that they aren't too bright, but in reality I used to think the same way as you do about the holocaust until I saw the population statistics. There is no way that the Jewish population could have recouped that many people in that short of a time. In my estimation there is at least a left wing cover up of actual numbers of dead. I'm not saying it didn't happen but not in the magnitude that is shown. Same with the reparations that the blacks want, there were few who could afford a slave at around eight hundred to a thousand for a starting price in the 1800's.

Honestly, I think it time to get the hell out of all these foreign countries and let them fight it out among themselves. It's none of our business if they kill each other..........Is it?

Captain Obvious
03-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Well, I'll agree that they aren't too bright, but in reality I used to think the same way as you do about the holocaust until I saw the population statistics. There is no way that the Jewish population could have recouped that many people in that short of a time. In my estimation there is at least a left wing cover up of actual numbers of dead. I'm not saying it didn't happen but not in the magnitude that is shown. Same with the reparations that the blacks want, there were few who could afford a slave at around eight hundred to a thousand for a starting price in the 1800's.

Honestly, I think it time to get the hell out of all these foreign countries and let them fight it out among themselves. It's none of our business if they kill each other..........Is it?

What - in Israel? You do realize that many if not most of the people living in Israel at the time it became a populated State came there from all over Europe, Middle East, etc.?

ramone
03-04-2012, 08:58 PM
What - in Israel? You do realize that many if not most of the people living in Israel at the time it became a populated State came there from all over Europe, Middle East, etc.?

So what, really? What do we owe them or any other middle east country? Let them battle it out and let the chips fall where they may.

Do you want to see your children or grandchildren defend some foreign country ? Wouldn't you rather we take care of our own and let the crazy people fight it out? Look where we are with those crazy freaks in Iran, how are the sanctions working, not very well are they? Do you think they can put a first strike on us, and if they even could get that far with their minimal technology would we not be able to drop the thing before it got here?

My question is this, "Why are we defending the frigging world". Why not defend our people and close our borders to the rejects from around the world who want to come here.

Captain Obvious
03-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Hey - I'm not making a political statement of any sort, I'm just trying to define history and your calculation of holocaust victims.

For the record, I'm no Israel supporter. I'm not anti-Israel either.

Conley
03-04-2012, 09:07 PM
Estimates for the Holocaust vary like they do for Stalin's victims and other widespread atrocities...saying it's part of a left-wing cover up is ridiculous.

Mister D
03-04-2012, 09:08 PM
'Tis true that our involvement in the Mid East brings us nothing but headaches. I support Israel in so far as I believe Israel has a right to exist. That said, let's develop alternative fuels, tap more domestic resources, and import more oil from Canada and Mexico. Consign Islamists to the Medieval past they pine for.

Captain Obvious
03-04-2012, 09:13 PM
'Tis true that our involvement in the Mid East brings us nothing but headaches. I support Israel in so far as I believe Israel has a right to exist. That said, let's develop alternative fuels, tap more domestic resources, and import more oil from Canada and Mexico. Consign Islamists to the Medieval past they pine for.

Agreed - sort of.

I tend to sway toward the chess game in the Middle East as being more than a extremist, religious affair. We want to be there so we invest huge amounts of resources, funding, capital, military, etc. wherever we get a foothold. Israel is one of them. So is Saudi Arabia, so is Iraq, so is Afghanistan. That's our foot in the door. Russia is in the same boat, so is China increasingly.

"Islamists" - the radical kind know this, it's an excuse for them to defend their territory. To some degree at least, there are probably some fundamental radical aspects there also but in reality, if they would just get their shit together and develop themselves, they could dictate more of their future rather than having foreign influence do it for them.

Conley
03-04-2012, 09:14 PM
I would much rather the nation of Israel had never been created but I don't agree with just leaving them to their own devices in the Middle East. We need allies and stability in the region at the very least in the short term until we are less dependent on Middle Eastern oil.

Peter1469
03-04-2012, 09:15 PM
It is in our interest to keep the ME in chaos.

Should we decide to employ 19th century chemical engineering to replace oil as our transportation fuel then we can totally ignore the ME.

Let them live as they wish.

Captain Obvious
03-04-2012, 09:19 PM
It is in our interest to keep the ME in chaos.

Should we decide to employ 19th century chemical engineering to replace oil as our transportation fuel then we can totally ignore the ME.

Let them live as they wish.

Alternative energy sources is the long term solution but I understand why we are so "invested" in the region. Having little influence over what is probably the most critical aspect of our economy, standard of living, production, way of life, etc. at this stage of the game would be perilous.

Mister D
03-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Agreed - sort of.

I tend to sway toward the chess game in the Middle East as being more than a extremist, religious affair. We want to be there so we invest huge amounts of resources, funding, capital, military, etc. wherever we get a foothold. Israel is one of them. So is Saudi Arabia, so is Iraq, so is Afghanistan. That's our foot in the door. Russia is in the same boat, so is China increasingly.

"Islamists" - the radical kind know this, it's an excuse for them to defend their territory. To some degree at least, there are probably some fundamental radical aspects there also but in reality, if they would just get their shit together and develop themselves, they could dictate more of their future rather than having foreign influence do it for them.

For us it's not a religious affair at all unless we want to call our democracy fetish and universalism a religion of sorts. I suppose we can do that but it only muddies the waters for our purposes. Frankly, I don't blame the Islamists one bit for resisting the sort of cultural imperialism evidenced in our nation building efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan. We have no business doing that. We can address our interests without trying to remake their societies.

Conley
03-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Alternative energy sources is the long term solution but I understand why we are so "invested" in the region. Having little influence over what is probably the most critical aspect of our economy, standard of living, production, way of life, etc. at this stage of the game would be perilous.

Exactly. Some of the conversations all of us have on here seem based on Pollyanna-ish ideas about what could be. Right now the fact is that our economy depends on oil, and if the entire Middle East were in chaos we would be up a creek.

Mister D
03-04-2012, 09:26 PM
I would much rather the nation of Israel had never been created but I don't agree with just leaving them to their own devices in the Middle East. We need allies and stability in the region at the very least in the short term until we are less dependent on Middle Eastern oil.

In hindsight, sure, but Israel is firmly established so whether it should or should not have been created is moot at this point. I would not want to see the west leave Israel to its own devices either and not just out of consideration of our own interests.

Captain Obvious
03-04-2012, 09:27 PM
For us it's not a religious affair at all unless we want to call our democracy fetish and universalism a religion of sorts. I suppose we can do that but it only muddies the waters for our purposes. Frankly, I don't blame the Islamists one bit for resisting the sort of cultural imperialism evidenced in our nation building efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan. We have no business doing that. We can address our interests without trying to remake their societies.

Wait - I'm a neocon, so I have to disagree with you.

:wink:

Captain Obvious
03-04-2012, 09:28 PM
In hindsight, sure, but Israel is firmly established so whether it should or should not have been created is moot at this point. I would not want to see the west leave Israel to its own devices either and not just out of consideration of our own interests.

Great way to put it - "Israel is firmly established". Totally agree with it, time to move on in the Arab world.

Captain Obvious
03-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Exactly. Some of the conversations all of us have on here seem based on Pollyanna-ish ideas about what could be. Right now the fact is that our economy depends on oil, and if the entire Middle East were in chaos we would be up a creek.

Right - and we should be focusing more on alternative energy sources, I'm just not convinced that we're moving in that direction with a sense of urgency.

Captain Obvious
03-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Didn't we used to have "thanks" buttons?

Conley
Right - and we should be focusing more on alternative energy sources, I'm just not convinced that we're moving in that direction with a sense of urgency.

I agree with all that.

Mister D
Great way to put it - "Israel is firmly established". Totally agree with it, time to move on in the Arab world.

That's the thing. Get over it. If every Jew died tomorrow your lives would still suck.

Mister D
03-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Didn't we used to have "thanks" buttons?

They used to disappear on Political Hotwire from time to time too.

Captain Obvious
03-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Wait - there they are.

I think I just repped myself.

... felt kinda good tho

Conley
03-04-2012, 09:40 PM
They used to disappear on Political Hotwire from time to time too.

Joos?

edit: nm, I see. :laugh:

Peter1469
03-04-2012, 09:40 PM

That is what is funny about this entire mess. Alcohol was the first fuel. Then there was prohibition and oil was king.

Alcohol fuel is not a future tech. It is an old tech.

Captain Obvious
03-04-2012, 09:45 PM
That is what is funny about this entire mess. Alcohol was the first fuel. Then there was prohibition and oil was king.

Alcohol fuel is not a future tech. It is an old tech.

You think the Big Oil sock puppets in Washington are going to put that damper on profit margins?

Conley
03-04-2012, 09:46 PM
And clusters like Obama with Solyndra just set everything back even further...

Captain Obvious
03-04-2012, 09:48 PM
And clusters like Obama with Solyndra just set everything back even further...

Exactly.

It's more about the pork than the technology.

Peter1469
03-04-2012, 10:04 PM
You think the Big Oil sock puppets in Washington are going to put that damper on profit margins?

I say they don't get a vote in the matter. Of course almost everyone else says that they do.

Peter1469
03-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Exactly.

It's more about the pork than the technology.

So eliminate the pork.

And eliminate the technology. I am offering 18th century chemical engineering to totally replace oil.

Both of your demands have just be met.

Captain Obvious
03-04-2012, 10:07 PM
I say they don't get a vote in the matter. Of course almost everyone else says that they do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HRa4X07jdE