PDA

View Full Version : Never Forget

Common
01-28-2014, 08:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/v/AgYLr_LfhLo?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0

Green Arrow
01-28-2014, 09:44 PM
The halls of Valhalla are filled with the souls of the honored dead. There is a reason warriors of bravery and sacrifice are treated with such respect and honor even by the gods themselves.

zelmo1234
01-29-2014, 03:17 AM
Thanks Common. makes me weep to think that we are in a generation that has forgotten!

Libhater
01-29-2014, 07:12 AM
Very touching 4-minute video. Thank you for sharing.

Chloe
01-29-2014, 12:12 PM
Thanks Common. makes me weep to think that we are in a generation that has forgotten!

I liked the video, it was really well done and emotional, but I don't really think that we are in a generation that has forgotten really. So like for example people my age know about WW2 and the people that fought and died and sacrificed for it, however, I think it's more of you can't just expect people, younger people especially, that have no real connection to that war, memory of that war, or even family that are alive that possibly even fought in that war and so on to have the same kind of strong feelings as someone with more of a connection to it will have. It's not that it is forgotten it's more just that it is not as relevant to a lot of people as it once was. If you want younger generations to have more of a connection with it, understanding of it, appreciation of it and so on, then you have to figure out ways to make younger generations more aware and engaged in my opinion.

nathanbforrest45
01-29-2014, 04:48 PM
Anyone who fought in any war deserves the respect of those who did not. My Great Grandfather fought in the War Between the States, My father and father in law fought in WW2, my FIL was wounded and carries the marks to this day. I and my brother fought in Vietnam, another brother was stationed in South Korea. My nephew fought in Afghanistan and unless we are fortunate my grandsons will probably fight some God Forsaken war as well. Only the dead have seen the end of war. To say, well we don't have any connection to that war slaps all of those who have come before us and experienced the fear, the cold, the lost of friends that is war. I, of course, never knew my great grandfather but I certainly have the utmost respect for his service to this country (he was from Indiana and fought on the side of the Union). I don't know the names of those I see in uniform now but I never fail to thank them for their service.

Chloe
01-30-2014, 08:11 PM
Anyone who fought in any war deserves the respect of those who did not. My Great Grandfather fought in the War Between the States, My father and father in law fought in WW2, my FIL was wounded and carries the marks to this day. I and my brother fought in Vietnam, another brother was stationed in South Korea. My nephew fought in Afghanistan and unless we are fortunate my grandsons will probably fight some God Forsaken war as well. Only the dead have seen the end of war. To say, well we don't have any connection to that war slaps all of those who have come before us and experienced the fear, the cold, the lost of friends that is war. I, of course, never knew my great grandfather but I certainly have the utmost respect for his service to this country (he was from Indiana and fought on the side of the Union). I don't know the names of those I see in uniform now but I never fail to thank them for their service.

I really didn't mean it as a slap in the face or anything like that. All I meant was that it's hard for people to relate to things that they have no real connection to, but that's why you need to do things that will help make them interested and help make them see why it's important...not just expect it.

nathanbforrest45
01-31-2014, 09:09 AM
I really didn't mean it as a slap in the face or anything like that. All I meant was that it's hard for people to relate to things that they have no real connection to, but that's why you need to do things that will help make them interested and help make them see why it's important...not just expect it.

I, and I am sure 99.9% of all other veterans, did what we did out of a sense of duty. None of us expect or even want ticker tape parades or to be invited on talk shows to talk about our experiences. What we don't expect or want is the seemingly endless stories of how veterans are all mentally unbalanced. We also don't need or certainly didn't expect the rancor many of us received upon returning home.

You don't need to know anything about veterans except that we did our duty and your life is better because of it.