PDA

View Full Version : Who Gave GOP SOTU Response Tells Big Lie About Support For Women

Cigar
01-31-2014, 12:47 PM
http://upload.democraticunderground.com/imgs/2014/140131-rep-who-gave-gop-sotu-response-tells-big-lie-about-support-for-women.jpg

On CNN Wednesday, Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA) told host Wolf Blitzer that she supports equal pay for women despite voting against a measure that would help women achieve that goal.
In response to a question from Blitzer about President Obama’s call for equal pay in his State of the Union Address on Tuesday and whether she is “with the President when he says that there should be laws mandating equal pay for equal work for women,” McMorris Rodgers, who gave the official Republican response, replied:

Yes. Yes. Absolutely. Republicans and I support equal pay for equal work. My message last night was one about empowering everyone in this country, no matter what your background, no matter where you live, what corner of the country, no matter what your experiences are. We want you to have the opportunity for a better life.

<snip>

But McMorris Rodgers actually voted against laws meant to address the pay disparity between men and women four times. She voted against the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act twice, which lengthened the time for victims of pay discrimination to file a complaint. She also voted twice against the Paycheck Fairness Act, a measure aimed at closing the gender wage gap by ending the practice of salary secrecy, thus giving women and others a better chance of rooting out discrimination, narrowing the guidelines for what pay disparities are justified, and strengthening penalties for discrimination as a way to deter it, among other things.

Read more: http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/01/30/3227971/mcmorris-rodgers-equal-pay/

Green Arrow
01-31-2014, 01:04 PM
I highly doubt a woman is saying she doesn't want equal pay, so my guess is that once again, you're seeing everything in black and white and ignoring all the grey.

zelmo1234
01-31-2014, 01:05 PM
First there are already laws on the book and second the Demos don't want this legislation to pass so they poison it!

Peter1469
01-31-2014, 05:05 PM
Equal pay for equal work is another created Dem talking point. The real difference in wages when you look behind the numbers is due to time off for child rearing.

Blackrook
01-31-2014, 05:36 PM
Ending salary secrecy would introduce total chaos to the business world. I don't see that ever passing.

Peter1469
01-31-2014, 05:41 PM
Ending salary secrecy would introduce total chaos to the business world. I don't see that ever passing.

I don't see how it could work, especially in the private sector.

I turned down a gov job with the premier agency because they didn't accept my counter offer- they were offended and though that I should accept being low balled for the honor of working with them....

Then they got desperate and hired someone else at what I was asking for, except she had zero expertise in the specific job [I know the woman, so I base this on knowledge, not sexism or hard feelings].

donttread
01-31-2014, 09:11 PM
http://upload.democraticunderground.com/imgs/2014/140131-rep-who-gave-gop-sotu-response-tells-big-lie-about-support-for-women.jpg

On CNN Wednesday, Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA) told host Wolf Blitzer that she supports equal pay for women despite voting against a measure that would help women achieve that goal.
In response to a question from Blitzer about President Obama’s call for equal pay in his State of the Union Address on Tuesday and whether she is “with the President when he says that there should be laws mandating equal pay for equal work for women,” McMorris Rodgers, who gave the official Republican response, replied:

Yes. Yes. Absolutely. Republicans and I support equal pay for equal work. My message last night was one about empowering everyone in this country, no matter what your background, no matter where you live, what corner of the country, no matter what your experiences are. We want you to have the opportunity for a better life.

<snip>

But McMorris Rodgers actually voted against laws meant to address the pay disparity between men and women four times. She voted against the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act twice, which lengthened the time for victims of pay discrimination to file a complaint. She also voted twice against the Paycheck Fairness Act, a measure aimed at closing the gender wage gap by ending the practice of salary secrecy, thus giving women and others a better chance of rooting out discrimination, narrowing the guidelines for what pay disparities are justified, and strengthening penalties for discrimination as a way to deter it, among other things.

Read more: http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/01/30/3227971/mcmorris-rodgers-equal-pay/

And yet she's a successful high income women without any more laws. Go figure