PDA

View Full Version : New Era of 'Free Speech'

Cthulhu
02-03-2014, 10:00 AM
http://www.amren.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/ChicoState.jpg

Chico State University.

Sure, you're speech is free, so long as it falls under the guidelines of what is considered acceptable.

So how does an institution which is funded by taxes not abide by said magical constitution? Is it not publicly funded? Are there rules allowing for the ducking of certain rights if your income is not all from tax payers?

Captain Obvious
02-03-2014, 10:13 AM
What are the guidelines?

What percentage of this schools overall insources are taxpayer funded?

Cthulhu
02-03-2014, 10:17 AM
What are the guidelines?

What percentage of this schools overall insources are taxpayer funded?

Truth be told, not sure, that is why I wonder how this is possible. Going to look into it later. It being a "State" university I would think it was propped up primarily by taxes. But I do know that is the not the only stream of income for schools.

Captain Obvious
02-03-2014, 10:21 AM
Universities can get away with a lot of shit, it's a different institution than the real world. I don't claim to understand how and why either.

Mister D
02-03-2014, 10:27 AM
Universities can get away with a lot of shit, it's a different institution than the real world. I don't claim to understand how and why either.

They get sued a lot and lose. They get away with a lot because they try and intimidate students.

Captain Obvious
02-03-2014, 10:29 AM
They get sued a lot and lose. They get away with a lot because they try and intimidate students.

It's a false reality institution, much like government.

Mister D
02-03-2014, 10:32 AM
It's a false reality institution, much like government.

The hypocrisy is truly staggering. On the other hand, there is also a lot of cowardice in university administrations. If punishing speech that upsets a vocal group will save them some trouble they'll do it.

Captain Obvious
02-03-2014, 10:33 AM
The hypocrisy is truly staggering. On the other hand, there is also a lot of cowardice in university administrations. If punishing speech that upsets a vocal group will save them some trouble they'll do it.

The irony is - most universities are extreme liberally governed.

Mister D
02-03-2014, 10:36 AM
The irony is - most universities are extreme liberally governed.

There is definitely a liberal bent most of the time but some of these people just don't want controversy so they will restrict speech that might be controversial. Whenwas at Rutgers I would have had a lot of difficulty if I had said the kinds of things I say here.