PDA

View Full Version : Farmers Unite against GMO labeling

Peter1469
02-07-2014, 06:30 PM
Farmers Unit against GMO labeling (http://news.yahoo.com/us-farmers-food-interests-unite-against-gmo-labeling-204748206.html;_ylt=A0LEVxrk9vNS0hsAQDlXNyoA;_ylu= X3oDMTB0NGQ5cDg3BHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1ZJUD MzNF8x)

I understand their position: it would be cost prohibited to potentially have 50 different labeling laws to deal with (57 if you are Obama).

But then regarding a federal solution, they lose me:

Instead, members are calling for a federal solution that would only mandate GMO labeling "if the FDA, our nation's foremost food safety authority, determines that there is a health or safety risk," she told reporters.

"Up until now, (the) FDA has said GMO technology is safe and it would be misleading to mandate a label on a GM product," Bailey said.

1. The FDA is corrupt.

2. Why not let people choose what they put inside their bodies?

This is really not a problem that affects me. I shop at local farmers markets and don't buy processed foods. But most Americans are part of a really large long term scientific study on the safety of GMOs (several studies really, because there are several types, some much more problematic than others).

Common
02-08-2014, 07:29 PM
Constantly people are being sickened and dieing for tainted food. Our food producers need strict regulation and clear labeling of whats inside food containers is just common sense,. but of course like everything else the conservatives will be against that your infringing on the freedom of the free market to kill you while making lots of profit.

Peter1469
02-09-2014, 12:08 AM
Constantly people are being sickened and dieing for tainted food. Our food producers need strict regulation and clear labeling of whats inside food containers is just common sense,. but of course like everything else the conservatives will be against that your infringing on the freedom of the free market to kill you while making lots of profit.

All the conservatives that I know are for GMO labeling. It is the left that opposes it.

The Xl
02-09-2014, 01:11 AM
Anything that isn't natural should be labeled as such. Otherwise, it's fraud.

Common
02-09-2014, 08:06 AM
All the conservatives that I know are for GMO labeling. It is the left that opposes it.

Ive read different they have those on both sides against it. Im all for it and I dont care which side is against it.

Peter1469
02-09-2014, 08:35 AM
Ive read different they have those on both sides against it. Im all for it and I dont care which side is against it.

That is true. I was only talking about my small circle of friends. We aren't the pro-big business types of conservatives.

Polecat
02-09-2014, 09:18 AM
I'm not all that sure what risks are involved. Man has been busy genetically altering plants and animals since before recorded history. I still support full disclosure in labeling though. Anything that needs to be hidden also needs to be off the market. I'd also like to see an end to the rampant fraud on TV items being sold with a money back guarantee that dose not include the preposterous handling & shipping fees that make it lucrative to peddle trash and make a fortune doing it.

Peter1469
02-09-2014, 09:21 AM
Would you consider cross breeding tomatoes for certain traits to be equivalent to adding genes to corn, as an example, to self-create pesticides? Polecat?

I'm not all that sure what risks are involved. Man has been busy genetically altering plants and animals since before recorded history. I still support full disclosure in labeling though. Anything that needs to be hidden also needs to be off the market. I'd also like to see an end to the rampant fraud on TV items being sold with a money back guarantee that dose not include the preposterous handling & shipping fees that make it lucrative to peddle trash and make a fortune doing it.

Polecat
02-09-2014, 09:30 AM
That would depend on the nature of the "pesticide". The term can mean anything from DDT to a flavor that target pests find repulsive.

Peter1469
02-09-2014, 09:34 AM
That would depend on the nature of the "pesticide". The term can mean anything from DDT to a flavor that target pests find repulsive.

True. But animals have died from eating Bt Cotton (the same GMO in corn) in India.

Polecat
02-09-2014, 09:36 AM
What exactly is Bt, I'm not up to speed on the GMO flap. Why are animals being fed cotton? Seems that would kill them from digestive tract obstruction.

Peter1469
02-09-2014, 09:40 AM
What exactly is Bt, I'm not up to speed on the GMO flap. Why are animals being fed cotton? Seems that would kill them from digestive tract obstruction.

Bt is a type of genetic modification. (http://www2.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef130.asp)

About the animals and Bt agricultural products. (http://www.monsanto.no/index.php/en/environment/gmo/gmo-news/117-gmo-bt-cotton-linked-to-livestock-deaths-in-india)

Polecat
02-09-2014, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the links. Turns out ironically enough that Bt was the tree huggers' answer to lawn care back in the 80s. Because it is a naturally occurring biological control as opposed to chemical concoctions. At the time it was thought to be completely safe for animals & people. Also I forgot that cotton seed oil is extracted for multiple uses and the left overs turned into animal feed. I wonder if the fibers are a topical risk when used in clothing? This is why I look with major skepticism at products that are barked as being "organic". This term has become so over abused that it is right up there with new and improved. I watched a show not long ago about some old hippies selling a product that was essentially a bucket that you shit in then put on your veggie garden. This is a major no no. Even heavily prepared human waste (milorganite) should never be used on food crops. It is used primarily by the sod growers. But these old bunny humpers were all giddy thinking they had hit the big time.

Peter1469
02-09-2014, 10:13 AM
The topic is so politicized that you can find all sorts of pro research and con research, all by neutral sources (j/k!). But that is why I agree with labeling. Why not let the consumer decide?

Thanks for the links. Turns out ironically enough that Bt was the tree huggers' answer to lawn care back in the 80s. Because it is a naturally occurring biological control as opposed to chemical concoctions. At the time it was thought to be completely safe for animals & people. Also I forgot that cotton seed oil is extracted for multiple uses and the left overs turned into animal feed. I wonder if the fibers are a topical risk when used in clothing? This is why I look with major skepticism at products that are barked as being "organic". This term has become so over abused that it is right up there with new and improved. I watched a show not long ago about some old hippies selling a product that was essentially a bucket that you shit in then put on your veggie garden. This is a major no no. Even heavily prepared human waste (milorganite) should never be used on food crops. It is used primarily by the sod growers. But these old bunny humpers were all giddy thinking they had hit the big time.

lynn
02-09-2014, 10:25 AM
One must ask yourself, why did GMO make sure that no one can sue them if they are confident that their food products are safe for human consumption. At this point why the reluctance to label their products if they have nothing to hide.

Peter1469
02-09-2014, 10:33 AM
One must ask yourself, why did GMO make sure that no one can sue them if they are confident that their food products are safe for human consumption. At this point why the reluctance to label their products if they have nothing to hide.

Good points.