PDA

View Full Version : Could it really be this simple?

donttread
02-07-2014, 09:28 PM
The US government spends about 20% more than it takes in and has done so, or worse , for about 12 straight years.
During this time your "representatives" have proven beyond any reasonable doubt that they are completely incapable of solving this problem through specific cuts because they cannot and will not agree on where and how much to cut.
If we simply applied 10% across the board cuts we could balance the budget in two years and start paying down the debt in three.
If we assume that 50% of federal spending is wages ( which I think is a high estimate) we could freeze wages and cut everything else 10% and balance the budget in 4 years and start paying down the debt in 5.
I submit that there is not a single federal program that couldn't trim enough fat to survive these cuts.

Peter1469
02-07-2014, 09:48 PM
more than 20%.

Germanicus
02-07-2014, 09:55 PM
( I think that is a high estimate ) In my opinion all the US really needs to do in the short term is get to any kind of surplus. I do not believe that across the board cuts are ever sensible. It is sensible to target public servants though. ( or government workers if you please )

USA is already doing a good job of increasing industry and stuff like the Pipe-line that looks all good now should be rushed and not stalled. All of this is good now even if a sudden plummet of standard of living in USA should happen to occur. People will need work under during the emergency period. (:

Many federal programs are a total waste and should be scrapped. What will the public do? Either build more jails, or lower minimum wage and make unemployed work. See the state should take the jails under martial law. They are an asset because the prisoners work for food and accomodation.

The State needs revenue that does not come from taxing the public. The State must produce value. Balancing the budget should involve cuts but also should be about finding ways to increase revenue. The protection of the Public Treasure is a matter of National Security for all citizens.

Newpublius
02-07-2014, 10:11 PM
( I think that is a high estimate ) In my opinion all the US really needs to do in the short term is get to any kind of surplus. I do not believe that across the board cuts are ever sensible. It is sensible to target public servants though. ( or government workers if you please )

USA is already doing a good job of increasing industry and stuff like the Pipe-line that looks all good now should be rushed and not stalled. All of this is good now even if a sudden plummet of standard of living in USA should happen to occur. People will need work under during the emergency period. (:

Many federal programs are a total waste and should be scrapped. What will the public do? Either build more jails, or lower minimum wage and make unemployed work. See the state should take the jails under martial law. They are an asset because the prisoners work for food and accomodation.

The State needs revenue that does not come from taxing the public. The State must produce value. Balancing the budget should involve cuts but also should be about finding ways to increase revenue. The protection of the Public Treasure is a matter of National Security for all citizens.

Don't hold your breath. The fiscal profligacy is DEEPLY entrenched.

donttread
02-07-2014, 11:26 PM

Aren't they sensible when no other meaningful cuts are occurring?

Mac-7
02-08-2014, 09:03 AM
. I do not believe that across the board cuts are ever sensible.

In a perfect world across the board cuts are not the best solution.

But in a perfect world the budget would not be this screwed up to begin with.

The US is politically divided and neither side has the power to dictate cuts.

In the Pasteur feckless politicians solved the problem by giving everyone almost everything thy wanted.

IAW, "I'll vote for your wasteful spending if you vote for mine."

Now the only compromise that is achievable is equal cuts for everyone.

Polecat
02-08-2014, 10:05 AM
Cut all travel related expenses to zero until the situation has been fixed. Eliminate all benefits for elected personnel. Terminate ALL foreign aid.