PDA

View Full Version : What would happen if modern America had PR?

Tricky Dicky
02-08-2014, 06:23 AM
Would the Democratic and Republican parties survive if the people had a real choice?
Would there be a Latino party, a Black Party?
What do you think about PR and its application to a multi-ethnic nation that America now is?

midcan5
02-08-2014, 07:18 AM
Can you explain what it is you are asking? As a half PR I'm kinda curious.

Libhater
02-08-2014, 07:56 AM
What is PR.......public relations, Puerto Rico, passive Republicans, pan races or what?

midcan5
02-10-2014, 02:31 PM
@Tricky Dicky (http://thepoliticalforums.com/members/1003-Tricky-Dicky)

Mainecoons
02-10-2014, 03:50 PM
I think he means Parliamentary Rule.

I'm all for it.

Ivan88
02-11-2014, 02:52 PM
In ancient Greek democracy, the rich people hired solons, (persuasive speakers) to con, sway, cajole and persuade the general voting public to vote the way the rich wanted them to vote.

It is the same racket going on in America since the American Revolution.

And, most so called Americans are total suckers for it one way or another.
We absorb the social mindset and imagine that it is our mind and personality.

The beauty of our society is that one only needs to control the voting majority/herd,/mob to commit the rest of the nation to the lastest scam.

Tricky Dicky
02-12-2014, 05:53 AM
By context, Proportinal Representation eg If the combined population of Latinos and Blacks is say 50% of the voters then they will get a combined membership of the house of 50%.
I've got the feeling that no one has thought about it or seeing the implication for modern America has kept stum about it!

Max Rockatansky
02-12-2014, 07:09 AM
What is PR.......public relations, Puerto Rico, passive Republicans, pan races or what?

Penis Rights, Pissing Regulations, Portion Rules (to control rampant obesity!). It's a wide open field.

Max Rockatansky
02-12-2014, 07:14 AM
By context, Proportinal Representation eg If the combined population of Latinos and Blacks is say 50% of the voters then they will get a combined membership of the house of 50%.
I've got the feeling that no one has thought about it or seeing the implication for modern America has kept stum about it!

Ahh, so you want a government based on race. Okay. Since Latinos are not a race, but a culture, does this mean we should include WASPs, Jews and Catholics too?

After the debacle of the 2000 National election, there was a lot of talk about revamping our election system. I favor eliminating the current winner-take-all electoral system for being able to rank candidates. This prevents a third party candidate from splitting the vote. I'd also like to see a State's electoral votes be divided proportional to their State's votes. If the State voted 60% for one candidate, 30% for a second and 10% for a third, their electoral votes should reflect those percentages.

Green Arrow
02-12-2014, 08:25 AM
I'm totally in favor of a parliamentary system. It would break the Republican-Democrat stranglehold and allow other parties to get in. It's true representation, because if a party gets 1% of the vote, they get a seat in Congress.

Tricky Dicky
02-13-2014, 10:58 AM
Obviously I am being simplistic to start a debate.
Latino is a culture which also includes Italian Americans and French Americans eg Cagins.
I agree with your suggestion. The point being the present first past the post will inevitably favour only the two well funded Establishment controlled parties. If 30% of the population could get their representatives in then instead of not bothering to vote as they do at the moment, they can vote for alternatives to the brain dead historical Republicans and Democrats and America would become again A VIBRANT DEMOCRACY OF THE COMMON MAN.

Captain Obvious
02-13-2014, 11:09 AM
Obviously I am being simplistic to start a debate.
Latino is a culture which also includes Italian Americans and French Americans eg Cagins.
I agree with your suggestion. The point being the present first past the post will inevitably favour only the two well funded Establishment controlled parties. If 30% of the population could get their representatives in then instead of not bothering to vote as they do at the moment, they can vote for alternatives to the brain dead historical Republicans and Democrats and America would become again A VIBRANT DEMOCRACY OF THE COMMON MAN.

Everything always looks good on paper...

Green Arrow
02-13-2014, 11:20 AM
Everything always looks good on paper...

Parliamentary democracies are the most common form of democracy around the world and the system functions quite well.

Peter1469
02-13-2014, 11:32 AM
Parliamentary democracies are the most common form of democracy around the world and the system functions quite well.

They tend to implode a lot.

Peter1469
02-13-2014, 11:33 AM
The one thing that I do like about them is accountability. The MSM would have a hard time convincing the American people that it wasn't the dem's fault when the dem's are in charge.

Green Arrow
02-13-2014, 11:34 AM
They tend to implode a lot.

In what manner?

Peter1469
02-13-2014, 11:44 AM
In what manner?

The entire lost confidence procedure that can end the government and call for new elections at like anytime.

Captain Obvious
02-13-2014, 11:45 AM
The entire lost confidence procedure that can end the government and call for new elections at like anytime.

Could you imagine that option in our current congressional system?

It would be exercised every other nanosecond.

Peter1469
02-13-2014, 11:59 AM
Could you imagine that option in our current congressional system?

It would be exercised every other nanosecond.

The dynamics would be different. But our systems are not so far apart. We have all of the same multitude of political parties. They just have to coalesce into the two major parties and the left overs as "independents."