PDA

View Full Version : 6 UK Troops Missing in Afghanistan, Presumed Dead.....

MMC
03-07-2012, 08:33 AM
KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — Six British soldiers were believed killed after an explosion hit their armored vehicle in southwestern Afghanistan, Britain's Ministry of Defense said Wednesday. If confirmed, it would be the biggest loss of life for British forces in the country since a plane crash in 2006.

The soldiers were on patrol in Helmand province at the time of the blast on Tuesday evening. The military did not explain why they are unable to confirm whether the soldiers were killed.

"This tragic incident brings home to us the dangers that are faced on a daily basis by the men and women of our armed Forces deployed in Afghanistan," said Defense Secretary Philip Hammond said. "My thoughts are with the families and friends of the six soldiers who are missing, believed killed and also with their colleagues, both in Afghanistan and the UK, whose brave work continues or is about to start.".....snip~

http://news.yahoo.com/6-uk-troops-missing-presumed-dead-afghanistan-102429798.html
Associated Press – 2 hrs 48 mins ago<<<<< More Here!

Mister D
03-07-2012, 08:53 AM
I'm curious as to why they are unable to confirm their deaths. Do they not have the bodies? Were they isolated somewhere when it happened?

Conley
03-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Yes, that seems very odd unless there is combat going on in the region where the bodies are? I guess we'll find out. Could also be that the AV fell into a chasm.

Mister D
03-07-2012, 09:20 AM
Yes, that seems very odd unless there is combat going on in the region where the bodies are? I guess we'll find out. Could also be that the AV fell into a chasm.

Combat is a strong possibility. Still you'd think the area would be cleared pretty quickly unless they are out in the middle of no where. Then again, I guess most of Afghanistan is in the middle of no where.

Conley
03-07-2012, 09:29 AM
Combat is a strong possibility. Still you'd think the area would be cleared pretty quickly unless they are out in the middle of no where. Then again, I guess most of Afghanistan is in the middle of no where.

Yeah. We have a lot of canyons around here and sometimes cars over the cliff without anyone seeing it. The victims are reported missing and they find the cars with the bodies inside a few months later. In this case it might just be that the vehicle got wedged down somewhere inaccessible if it got blown of the road.

Mister D
03-07-2012, 09:32 AM
Yeah. We have a lot of canyons around here and sometimes cars over the cliff without anyone seeing it. The victims are reported missing and they find the cars with the bodies inside a few months later. In this case it might just be that the vehicle got wedged down somewhere inaccessible if it got blown of the road.

Ugh. Really? Yeah, I guess that's also a likely scenario.

Conley
03-07-2012, 09:35 AM
Yeah, it's really weird but I'd say it happens at least once a year, in populated areas too. It's often a senior or a senior couple.

MMC
03-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Still, one would think that the Brits Military brass would know.

Conley
03-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Still, one would think that the Brits Military brass would know.

I think they must know, they're just not saying?

Mister D
03-07-2012, 04:18 PM
There isn't much difference between presumed dead and confirmed in that regard.

Conley
03-07-2012, 04:24 PM
They may be notifying the families.