PDA

View Full Version : use of the home in my profile

Bob
02-11-2014, 04:47 PM
When my sister was doing genealogy work, she came up with a wonderful story as to the origins of my family name.

I have for the first time on any forum decided to show the members the origins. Not full disclosure mind you, but in picture form.

That mansion is the roots of my name. It is in England and as you can tell, pretty large. I am sure that as mansions go, it is moderate.

Many times when you meet a person, you ask them, where are you from.

It is natural. It is done all the time on TV shows like the game shows. Where you are from becomes you.

My family name in England is a place and not a job.

When it comes to being in the USA, the family shows up in the USA in Virginia. One of my kin landed at Jamestown and one came here a year earlier so we got here in 1623.

Green Arrow
02-11-2014, 04:51 PM
Is your family name Bigasshouse by any chance? :tongue:

Bob
02-11-2014, 05:16 PM
Is your family name Bigasshouse by any chance? :tongue:

As I said, it was the home at the place. The name comes from the place where the home is located.

I am curious. Is that how your family does things?

Green Arrow
02-11-2014, 05:18 PM
As I said, it was the home at the place. The name comes from the place where the home is located.

I am curious. Is that how your family does things?

Nah, our family name is just the name of our clan.

Bob
02-11-2014, 06:18 PM
Nah, our family name is just the name of our clan.

On moms side, that seems to be the case. I believe her family roots are Welsh.

Dr. Who
02-11-2014, 08:27 PM
I have it on good authority via my maternal grandmother who was a nun (well only for a while), and familial lay brothers who researched the family history back to France, having nothing better to do, that this is the old homestead:

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.607998237635578033&w=230&h=146&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

Of course the lineage is full of scandal since my mother's family is descended from one of the most famous courtesans in French history being from the Court of Henri IV. Her name was Gabrielle d’Estrées, Duchess of Beaufort and Verneuil, Marchioness of Monceaux, with whom he had an intimate relationship with a view to having children, since the King's wife Maregerite de Valois, was barren. He had three children with Gabrielle, (whom he recognized) whilst married to Maregerite, two boys and a girl, and it is through one of the sons and his offspring that my mother's mother was descended. Note: Henri eventually got papal dispensation to have his marriage to Meregerite annulled and therefore permission to marry Gabrielle, who eventually died in childbirth.

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.607999710813947517&w=136&h=154&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

Bob
02-11-2014, 08:35 PM
I have it on good authority via my maternal grandmother who was a nun (well only for a while), and familial lay brothers who researched the family history back to France, having nothing better to do, that this is the old homestead:

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.607998237635578033&w=230&h=146&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

Of course the lineage is full of scandal since my mother's family is descended from one of the most famous courtesans in French history being from the Court of Henri IV. Her name was Gabrielle d’Estrées, Duchess of Beaufort and Verneuil, Marchioness of Monceaux, with whom he had an intimate relationship with a view to having children, since the King's wife Maregerite de Valois, was barren. He had three children with Gabrielle, (whom he recognized) whilst married to Maregerite, two boys and a girl, and it is through one of the sons and his offspring that my mother's mother was descended. Note: Henri eventually got papal dispensation to have his marriage to Meregerite annulled and therefore permission to marry Gabrielle, who eventually died in childbirth.

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.607999710813947517&w=136&h=154&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

Such an interesting story. Days ago I was reading about another courtesan that banged another French king. Gosh how the French knew how to pull that stuff and get away with it.

Germanicus
02-11-2014, 08:52 PM
I think people need to know their history. Most people do not.

Peter1469
02-11-2014, 08:57 PM

My great, great, grandfather was Otto Von Bismark's personal secretary. Or as we would say today, executive assistant. :wink:

Bob
02-11-2014, 09:07 PM
My great, great, grandfather was Otto Von Bismark's personal secretary. Or as we would say today, executive assistant. :wink:

I lived in Germany for close to a year and a half and at that time the Germans still seemed to me to admire Bismark a lot.

Dr. Who
02-11-2014, 09:12 PM

Secretary in those days meant something rather different, less clerical. The Secretary would have had staff.

Dr. Who
02-11-2014, 09:21 PM

Alas on my father's side the history is much shallower. I don't know much beyond my grandfather, perhaps because my father had to leave Poland as a very young man after the war, before he was old enough to have those family history talks - he was a radical anti-communist and didn't want his family to be persecuted for his deeds.

Germanicus
02-11-2014, 10:08 PM
A secretary?

Pretty sure Americans still say secretary for stuff like that. Like how Chuck Hagel is Obamas secretary.

The rest of us prefer minister but whatever.

And that is interesting. I have been reading about Bismark a little.

I am the blood of Odin. (:

The son of a star.

Green Arrow
02-12-2014, 12:01 AM
On moms side, that seems to be the case. I believe her family roots are Welsh.

Both sides of my family come from the Scottish Highlands and Viking Fjords. I also am related to Jimmy Hoffa, on my father's side.