PDA

View Full Version : Holder: Change laws to let ex-convicts vote

Green Arrow
02-12-2014, 09:08 AM
via USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/02/11/holder-voting-rights-ex-felons/5377119/):

WASHINGTON — Attorney General Eric Holder called Tuesday for the repeal of state laws that restrict the voting rights of millions of former prison inmates.

In a speech to the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights at Georgetown University Law Center, Holder said it is "time to fundamentally re-think laws that permanently disenfranchise people who are no longer under federal or state supervision.''

"These restrictions are not only unnecessary and unjust, they are also counterproductive,'' the attorney general said. "By perpetuating the stigma and isolation imposed on formerly incarcerated individuals, the laws increase the likelihood they will commit future crimes.''

The proposal is an extension of a broader plan first announced by Holder last year to revamp the U.S. criminal justice system, including the re-integration of thousands of former offenders who are returning to communities every year from prison.

I agree with this proposal, and am pleased to see that such efforts are also supported by a bi-partisan coalition that includes Sen. Rand Paul.

Cigar
02-12-2014, 09:10 AM
via USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/02/11/holder-voting-rights-ex-felons/5377119/):

I agree with this proposal, and am pleased to see that such efforts are also supported by a bi-partisan coalition that includes Sen. Rand Paul.

It's simple common since things like this that should be put to a Vote and then move onto more critical issues ... Like Fucking Jobs for American Citizens

Green Arrow
02-12-2014, 09:12 AM
It's simple common since things like this that should be put to a Vote and then move onto more critical issues ... Like Fucking Jobs for American Citizens

C'mon, Cigar, you know better. Congress can't stand being productive, unless "productive" means passing laws that hurt Americans in either our pockets or our civil liberties.

Cigar
02-12-2014, 09:16 AM
C'mon, Cigar, you know better. Congress can't stand being productive, unless "productive" means passing laws that hurt Americans in either our pockets or our civil liberties.

I said it long time ago ... Obama is suppose to be a Harvard Grad, he should know how to handle this.

Say he hates it and it's for sure to get Voted on :laugh:

Green Arrow
02-12-2014, 09:18 AM
I said it long time ago ... Obama is suppose to be a Harvard Grad, he should know how to handle this.

Say he hates it and it's for sure to get Voted on :laugh:

The real problem is the committees and the head honcho of the House and Senate. The Committees are terrible at getting bills through in a timely manner, assuming they even get the bills through at all. Then the bills go to John Boehner and Harry Reid, and both men have been known to only allow bills they like to reach the floor.

Codename Section
02-12-2014, 09:35 AM

Rand does the right thing even if it will hurt his own standing.

Captain Obvious
02-12-2014, 11:42 AM
So do ex-cons (I'm assuming that means convicted felons) have a higher likelihood to vote democrat or republican, or neither?

Mr. Right
02-12-2014, 11:45 AM
I guess Holder and his ilk would love it if they were able to vote while incarcerated. Are they really that afraid?

TheInternet
02-12-2014, 11:52 AM
Sounds like I've finally found something I disagree with Rand on.

I'm curious, are the same ones pushing for voting rights for felons also pushing to restore their 2A gun rights?

Codename Section
02-12-2014, 11:56 AM

I'm curious, are the same ones pushing for voting rights for felons also pushing to restore their 2A gun rights?

Yes, based off the libertarian principle of self-defense. Oh, not Holder. No.

Green Arrow
02-12-2014, 12:00 PM
So do ex-cons (I'm assuming that means convicted felons) have a higher likelihood to vote democrat or republican, or neither?

I have no clue. Not even certain if there's a study on that...

Green Arrow
02-12-2014, 12:01 PM

Depends. Rand Paul? Yes, he supports both. Holder? No, he only supports second amendment gun rights for Mexican drug cartels.

Captain Obvious
02-12-2014, 12:03 PM
I have no clue. Not even certain if there's a study on that...

I got five bucks that says it leans liberal.

donttread
02-12-2014, 12:59 PM

I kind of agree as well. Once you've served your time, you've served your time