PDA

View Full Version : How Texas Health Care Failed Israel, A Man With Terminal Cancer

nic34
02-13-2014, 09:31 AM
Think the healthcare system in this country isn't all fucked up by idiot governors and the Roberts court playing politics?
Think again:

How Texas Health Care Failed Israel, A Man With Terminal Cancer Who’d Worked His Whole Life

Despite having the largest uninsured population in the nation, Texas is one of two dozen states that has rejected federal funding to expand its Medicaid rolls. As a result, Israel can’t get health insurance. Though he is fortunate to be receiving indigent care from a private Texas hospital, without insurance he can’t get treatment for other health problems, including diabetes.

“Maybe if I did have some type of health insurance, I would’ve been able to afford to get a second opinion,” Israel said. But he was caught in a doughnut hole. The jobs he’d worked didn’t offer insurance and he was too poor to buy it on his own. Last year, his income was $13,334, but that was nearly $10,000 higher than Texas’s cutoff to qualify for Medicaid. So he went without.

After six months he finally went back to the hospital where he was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. The doctors removed as much as they could, but it was too late to get it all. “So right now they’re just trying to work as far as extending the length of…time that I’ll have,” Israel told ThinkProgress, choking back tears. Doctors estimate Israel has 18 months to live. If he had been able to get a second opinion earlier, “Maybe the tumor would’ve been smaller, might have been able to treat it better,” his sister, Miriam Mora, added.

A new organization, Texas Left Me Out, has been launched in the state to collect stories from some of the 1.5 million Texans who would benefit if Gov. Rick Perry (R) and his legislative allies decided to accept the Medicaid expansion.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/02/12/3242731/video-texas-medicaid-expansion/

Yes sir, Rick will make damn sure Texans don't get all their tax money back from DC....

Peter1469
02-13-2014, 09:35 AM
I would wonder whether Medicaid would have done much good. With the compensation to the providers, the patients don't get in-depth treatment.

Chris
02-13-2014, 09:44 AM
The evil here is the assumption the state is responsible for the man's diabetes.

Captain Obvious
02-13-2014, 09:45 AM
I would wonder whether Medicaid would have done much good. With the compensation to the providers, the patients don't get in-depth treatment.

First, it's "thinkprogress" - probably full of lies with some shreds of truth.

Second, Texas still has Medicaid - it's just not expanded. In WV's case, expanded meant that if you qualified for food stamps, you now qualify for Medicaid. Before if you were white, male and 20-something - fuck you, no coverage. Which wasn't necessarily a bad thing mind you.

Third, Medicaid would cover stuff like this normally but some providers don't take Medicaid. But if you accept Medicaid (participate in the program), you cannot be turned down.

Green Arrow
02-13-2014, 09:49 AM
Obamacare won't fix it, it just puts more power behind big insurance companies and big pharma.

Peter1469
02-13-2014, 10:00 AM
Obamacare won't fix it, it just puts more power behind big insurance companies and big pharma.

It doesn't really put power in big insurance. It will force them into insolvency. Big Pharma will make out though.

Green Arrow
02-13-2014, 10:05 AM
It doesn't really put power in big insurance. It will force them into insolvency. Big Pharma will make out though.

Perhaps later on down the line, but not initially. The big insurance corps were among the many corporate lobbyists in favor of Obamacare. I highly doubt they would support something that would kill them.

nic34
02-13-2014, 10:06 AM
What a bunch of cop out b_ll shit comments.

He would have had earlier treatment that could have made the difference.

The evil here is the assumption the state is responsible for the man's diabetes.

No, the evil assumption is that he had anything to do with contracting diabetes.

First, it's "thinkprogress" - probably full of lies with some shreds of truth.

Have at it O, find the real truth...... there's half a dozen other cites...

Second, Texas still has Medicaid

Yes, with a donut hole.

What are you even talking about? This is about TX not accepting expanded medcaid ..... not accepting back the taxes Texans already paid into the system!

If you don't like the system already in place, fix it, just don't take it out on the working folks caught in it.

Peter1469
02-13-2014, 10:30 AM
Perhaps later on down the line, but not initially. The big insurance corps were among the many corporate lobbyists in favor of Obamacare. I highly doubt they would support something that would kill them.

The inside story is that they were given a choice by the administration. Come to the table and figure out how to maximize short term profits, or be locked out.

Peter1469
02-13-2014, 10:33 AM
No, he may not have had in-depth treatment from Medicaid. Since November I have had 2 MRIs, 2 CAT scans and have since doctors over 60 times. Medicaid wouldn't stand for that. And I am getting another MRI tonight.

BB-35
02-13-2014, 10:36 AM
Perhaps nic ought to LIVE here,and be getting shitty service before slamming the state...

I have NO complaints about the healthcare here

Chris
02-13-2014, 10:42 AM

Hell, they helped write the damned law. They will benefit if for no other reason than forcing millions to become customers. Perhaps they will lose out in the long run, but only after they've made out like bandits.

Captain Obvious
02-13-2014, 10:42 AM
Perhaps nic ought to LIVE here,and be getting shitty service before slamming the state...

I have NO complaints about the healthcare here

Living vicariously through thinkprogress is so... progressive though.

Chris
02-13-2014, 10:45 AM

No, the evil assumption is that he had anything to do with contracting diabetes.

Have at it O, find the real truth...... there's half a dozen other cites...

Yes, with a donut hole.

What are you even talking about? This is about TX not accepting expanded medcaid ..... not accepting back the taxes Texans already paid into the system!

If you don't like the system already in place, fix it, just don't take it out on the working folks caught in it.

You seem angry.

Sorry, nic, but I nor anyone else has made that assumption. Basically you're arguing O! life is hard and harsh and unfair and cruel! O! Sorry, but that's life, has nothing to do with government, politics, economics, it's just life.

nic34
02-13-2014, 10:50 AM
Well that wasn't expected on this forum..... I got mine, screw the rest....

Peter1469
02-13-2014, 11:00 AM

Who said that?

Chris
02-13-2014, 11:18 AM

Once again you misread what's posted into strawmen you have ready arguments against.

But they're always the same emotional appeals.

Captain Obvious
02-13-2014, 11:19 AM
Who said that?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-JgD6g7_4sv4/UZ79sktVlEI/AAAAAAAAD0M/1SwVHA4Bc0k/s1600/The-Flintstones.jpg

The Xl
02-13-2014, 12:10 PM

It's not, but the state has been stealing from him all his life via taxation and inflation, money of which he could have used to handle his health issues.

So I guess it is, in a way.....

Chris
02-13-2014, 12:12 PM
It's not, but the state has been stealing from him all his life via taxation and inflation, money of which he could have used to handled his health issues.

So I guess it is, in a way.....

That view of it I understand, the state owes him, it owes us all, till we stop the theft.

The Xl
02-13-2014, 12:15 PM
That view of it I understand, the state owes him, it owes us all, till we stop the theft.

So long as the state steals from us, it has certain obligations, and I believe heathcare is one, not imperialism, not cronyism, not welfare, etc.

Now, I don't want the state involved in general, but that hasn't and won't stop it.

nic34
02-13-2014, 01:58 PM
So long as the state steals from us, it has certain obligations, and I believe heathcare is one, not imperialism, not cronyism, not welfare, etc.

Now, I don't want the state involved in general, but that hasn't and won't stop it.

Exactly, the man worked and paid taxes for years. His state just decided for him he didn't need any of it back.

Sure fix the fucked up system, but don't abandon those presently stuck in it.... damn...

The Xl
02-13-2014, 01:59 PM
The man worked and paid taxes for years, read the article. His state just decided for him he didn't need any of it back.

Sure fix the fucked up system, but don't abandon those presently stuck in it.... damn...

I'm sort of agreeing with you here. Read my response again.

Peter1469
02-13-2014, 02:02 PM
Exactly, the man worked and paid taxes for years. His state just decided for him he didn't need any of it back.

Right. But don't fuck the system up more than it already is.....

nic34
02-13-2014, 02:02 PM
I'm sort of agreeing with you here. Read my response again.

Fixed it Xl, thx...

Chris
02-13-2014, 02:03 PM

Nic, in Texas we don't pay state taxes.

You don't fix broken things by using them.

nic34
02-13-2014, 02:03 PM
Right. But don't fuck the system up more than it already is.....

...and another thread...:wink:

Peter1469
02-13-2014, 02:07 PM
...and another thread...:wink:

We talk about fixing stuff in most threads.

Green Arrow
02-13-2014, 02:10 PM

Do you have sales tax? Property tax? Estate tax? Any sin taxes?

nic34
02-13-2014, 02:22 PM

You pay federal taxes... where do you think the expanded medicaid Perry turned down comes from....?

Chris
02-13-2014, 02:23 PM

Property taxes, but that largely goes to local use, mainly schools. Sales tax, use tax. --I don't sin so don't know about those taxes. :rollseyes:

I associate medicare/medicaid with income taxes.

nic34
02-13-2014, 02:23 PM

Of course they do, this is just more survival of the fittest ayn rand-think...

Chris
02-13-2014, 02:25 PM
You pay federal taxes... where do you think the expanded medicaid Perry turned down comes from....?

Now think, why would he and other governors turn it down, nic, what strings come attached, and why is the federal government tying strings to helping people with their own money?

Chris
02-13-2014, 02:27 PM
Of course they do, this is just more survival of the fittest ayn rand-think...

Survival of the fittest is a progressive misinterpretation of Darwinian evolution.

Ayn Rand supported government, especially programs paid into by the people.

nic34
02-13-2014, 02:40 PM
Now think, why would he and other governors turn it down, nic, what strings come attached, and why is the federal government tying strings to helping people with their own money?

You tell me what strings were involved OK? ... meanwhile the attitude of anything to derail obama continues.... AT THE EXPENSE OF YOUR OWN FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS....

1.5 million low-income Texans may go without health care coverage after lawmakers in the state voted against (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/27/texas-medicaid_n_3341034.html) expanding Medicaid using $100 billion in federal funds offered under President Obama’s health care law. The decision comes almost a year after the Supreme Court ruled that the federal government cannot require states to enroll more Medicaid beneficiaries.
The proposal, sent to Gov. Rick Perry (R) on Sunday, says state health officials “may only provide medical assistance to a person who would have been otherwise eligible for medical assistance or for whom federal matching funds were available under the eligibility criteria for medical assistance in effect on December 31, 2013.”

Under the Affordable Care Act, the federal government fully funds Medicaid expansion until 2016 and gradually reduces its contribution to 90 percent in 2020 and subsequent years. Texas — which has the highest percentage of uninsured residents — would never pay more than 7 percent of the cost of providing coverage to Texans, but Texas Republicans argued that “even $1 in the name of ‘Obamacare’ was a dollar too much.”

“Texas will not be held hostage by the Obama administration’s attempt to force us into this fool’s errand of adding more than a million Texans to a broken system,” Perry said. The decision means a loss of approximately $7 billion for Texas hospitals, which comes on top of the $700 million a year reduction in Medicaid payments from state budget shortfalls and cuts under sequestration.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/05/27/2064061/texas-will-deny-health-coverage-to-15-million-low-income-residents/

Chris
02-13-2014, 02:43 PM
You tell me what strings were involved OK? ... meanwhile the attitude of anything to derail obama continues.... AT THE EXPENSE OF YOUR OWN FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS....

1.5 million low-income Texans may go without health care coverage after lawmakers in the state voted against (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/27/texas-medicaid_n_3341034.html) expanding Medicaid using $100 billion in federal funds offered under President Obama’s health care law. The decision comes almost a year after the Supreme Court ruled that the federal government cannot require states to enroll more Medicaid beneficiaries.
The proposal, sent to Gov. Rick Perry (R) on Sunday, says state health officials “may only provide medical assistance to a person who would have been otherwise eligible for medical assistance or for whom federal matching funds were available under the eligibility criteria for medical assistance in effect on December 31, 2013.”

Under the Affordable Care Act, the federal government fully funds Medicaid expansion until 2016 and gradually reduces its contribution to 90 percent in 2020 and subsequent years. Texas — which has the highest percentage of uninsured residents — would never pay more than 7 percent of the cost of providing coverage to Texans, but Texas Republicans argued that “even $1 in the name of ‘Obamacare’ was a dollar too much.”

“Texas will not be held hostage by the Obama administration’s attempt to force us into this fool’s errand of adding more than a million Texans to a broken system,” Perry said. The decision means a loss of approximately $7 billion for Texas hospitals, which comes on top of the $700 million a year reduction in Medicaid payments from state budget shortfalls and cuts under sequestration.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/05/27/2064061/texas-will-deny-health-coverage-to-15-million-low-income-residents/

meanwhile the attitude of anything to derail obama continues....

Meanwhile the attitude of anything to coerce obamacare continues....

To cite your own cite: “Texas will not be held hostage by the Obama administration’s attempt to force us into this fool’s errand of adding more than a million Texans to a broken system."

Why are you asking answered questions?

nic34
02-13-2014, 03:10 PM
NOT an answer. Admission of failure to find one.

Mainecoons
02-13-2014, 03:19 PM
In other words, Texas did a great job of anticipating the unfolding ObombedItCare debacle. You know, the health plan so good that the POS POTUS has to keep changing and delaying it. And they don't want Texas dragged into it and on the hook for billions more to pay for it.

That seven percent estimate is probably worth about as much as all the other crap Obama and his minions have put out about ObombedItCare. You know, like, "if you like your doctor. . . ."

Texas participated in Medicaid. And they've seen the estimated cost to the taxpayers far exceed those given by the D.C. idiot gang otherwise known as the Feral (whoops) Federal government.

Since they aren't liberals, they learn from their mistakes. Since Nic is a liberal, he just comes here daily and demonstrates his inability to learn from his.

:grin:

nic34
02-13-2014, 03:26 PM
That's right coonz, Tx residents have an affordable healthcare system.... across the BORDER.