PDA

View Full Version : Pentagon Relaxes Rules on Turbans, Beards

Green Arrow
02-14-2014, 01:01 PM
via NBC News (http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01/22/22376938-pentagon-to-relax-rules-on-personal-religious-wear-including-beards-turbans):

The Pentagon on Wednesday is expected to announce widespread changes to rules governing religious items and religion-based physical attributes that service members can maintain while in uniform — including beards, some religious tattoos, and turbans.

NBC News obtained an early draft of the new Department of Defense instruction which states that the military will make every effort to accommodate “individual expressions of sincerely held beliefs” (conscience, moral principles, or religious beliefs) of service members.

It goes on to say that unless doing so could have an adverse impact on military readiness, unit cohesion, good order and discipline, health and safety, or any other military requirement, commanders can grant service members special permission to display their religious articles while in uniform.

Requests for religious accommodation can be denied when the “needs of mission accomplishment outweigh the needs of the service member,” the directive will explain.

What do you think, forum? Particularly our military members.

Cthulhu
02-14-2014, 01:32 PM
It goes on to say that unless doing so could have an adverse impact on military readiness, unit cohesion, good order and discipline, health and safety, or any other military requirement, commanders can grant service members special permission to display their religious articles while in uniform.

So basically nothing will change. Because commanders aren't gonna let this fly especially with how subjective something like 'unit cohesion' is.

Whatever, I'm not the dog in the fight anymore and I don't have to participate in the social experiment any longer.

IzzyB
02-14-2014, 01:47 PM
I asked him to post this because this is the type of shit that seems like a good idea but will end up hurting cohesiveness and morale. The Army tried that whole Army of One shit and when they got to Iraq they had their ass kicked over and over.

They shave the guys heads, they make us wear our hair up or off, they do this so that we share common complaints and those forge common bonds.

Cigar
02-14-2014, 01:51 PM
What's the big deal ... they're all waring the same uniform anyway.

IzzyB
02-14-2014, 01:53 PM

This is the attitude of someone not in the military and why civilians ruin it. Beards destroy uniformity. The marines are the most uniform branch of service and they all look like each other. It's hard to tell them apart. Show up with a turban instead of a cover, a beard instead of clean shaven, and you're not 'one of the bunch'.

Cthulhu
02-14-2014, 01:53 PM

The military is more than the same uniform bub. So much more I couldn't explain it all if I tried.

Cthulhu
02-14-2014, 01:55 PM
This is the attitude of someone not in the military and why civilians ruin it. Beards destroy uniformity. The marines are the most uniform branch of service and they all look like each other. It's hard to tell them apart. Show up with a turban instead of a cover, a beard instead of clean shaven, and you're not 'one of the bunch'.

Exactly. You're not one of them. You're 'that guy'. Nobody wants to be 'the one'.

IzzyB
02-14-2014, 02:01 PM
Exactly. You're not one of them. You're 'that guy'. Nobody wants to be 'the one'.

I have to be cruder, tighter, more of everything to be one of the guys because I have a ponytail and tits. This will just turn into passive aggressive warfare. Let's get the raghead killed by not backing his shit up.

Cthulhu
02-14-2014, 02:05 PM
I have to be cruder, tighter, more of everything to be one of the guys because I have a ponytail and tits.

Shouldn't have to be that way, but that is the nature of the male marine. I don't envy you.

This will just turn into passive aggressive warfare. Let's get the raghead killed by not backing his shit up.

If he makes it to the battlefield - alive. Grunts whose bacon is on the line with someone they don't trust will "fall him down some stairs". Twice if necessary.

darroll
02-14-2014, 02:08 PM
I expect anything with our liberal power structure.

nathanbforrest45
02-14-2014, 02:14 PM
Why not just let them wear what ever they want. No uniforms, just clothing. Let the American Military uniform be the Eddie Bauer catalog.

IzzyB
02-14-2014, 02:15 PM
The United States government right now is afraid of its own military. It is trying to attract a different type of marine and soldier.

nathanbforrest45
02-14-2014, 02:17 PM
The United States government right now is afraid of its own military. It is trying to attract a different type of marine and soldier.

One that would rather make love than war? Look, the purpose of the military is to kill people and break things. A kinder, gentler soldier ain't going to work.

IzzyB
02-14-2014, 02:19 PM
Deleted my post with better judgment.

Codename Section
02-14-2014, 02:20 PM
IzzyB

this isn't talk for a forum and for outsiders. Take it down a notch, marine.

BB-35
02-14-2014, 02:20 PM
I remember back in the early 80's I had just started a job at a newspaer,and we ran a story about the navy not allowing sailors to have beards anymore..

I was thinking about that,looking in the mirror at the graybeard I've turned into...

Cigar
02-14-2014, 02:22 PM
I expect anything with our liberal power structure.

... and don't you forget it sport :wink:

Captain Obvious
02-14-2014, 02:53 PM
I can wear my turban now, yay!

darroll
02-14-2014, 02:56 PM
Beards and long hairs have rats and things in them in a combat area.
Then they can contract jungle rot in their lip?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcDy8HEg1QY

Peter1469
02-14-2014, 04:02 PM
With beards you can jell them up and get a good seal on your pro-mask. You can't wear a turban under a helmet. And it sure wouldn't stay on when you exit an aircraft at 800 feet. Might even get caught in the engine and fuck the entire op up.

Codename Section
02-14-2014, 04:06 PM
I got to have a beard when I made special forces. Suck it, yall. :cool2:

IzzyB
02-14-2014, 04:35 PM

It was a shitty beard. Can you even grow one, son?

Codename Section
02-14-2014, 04:37 PM

I'm part Native American. We have facial hair issues. Unlike you, son. Doh!

Peter1469
02-14-2014, 05:03 PM

:shocked:

Cthulhu
02-14-2014, 05:14 PM

Really? I grew one every time we went out in the field for 3+ days. Just a regular grunt with a reasonable platoon sergeant I guess.

Our haircuts were laughable at best. Of course once you go back to CONUS all that changes.:angry:

Montoya
02-14-2014, 05:46 PM
Oh blah blah blah. Spare us the rah rah nonsense ok?

Cthulhu
02-14-2014, 05:51 PM

Like "rah-rah-reality"? Because that is what it is.

Why don't you address the argument before poisoning the well?

Peter1469
02-14-2014, 05:53 PM

It is reality.

Dr. Who
02-14-2014, 06:23 PM
Since the rules will require that the religious affectations not interfere with mission critical issues, which includes safety, you won't see either excessive facial hair or turbans or unsecured hair on the head in the marines, nor likely in any other combat troops. Perhaps in non-combat roles. If anyone is willing to fight for the right to wear said long beard, hair and turban and wins, they will ultimately be rewarded with the "Darwin award".

IzzyB
02-14-2014, 07:38 PM

Rah rah is for cheerleaders and dudes who have relationships with their own hands.

darroll
02-14-2014, 08:36 PM
Rah rah is for cheerleaders and dudes who have relationships with their own hands. Ok,
LOL

BB-35
02-14-2014, 08:56 PM
It is reality.

Montoya seems to be suck in 'troll'....

Blackrook
02-14-2014, 09:29 PM
While I don't like hearing that men in our military murder each other, I think it's a bad idea to keep changing the military in ways that harm it's combat-readiness.

Ivan88
02-15-2014, 05:50 PM
I have to be cruder, tighter, more of everything to be one of the guys because I have a ponytail and tits. This will just turn into passive aggressive warfare. Let's get the raghead killed by not backing his shit up.
Then this kind comes back to the USA and become cops who then go out killing the American people like they terrorized and gunned down people all over the world.

IzzyB
02-15-2014, 09:54 PM
While I don't like hearing that men in our military murder each other, I think it's a bad idea to keep changing the military in ways that harm it's combat-readiness.

No one said we murder each other.

Codename Section
02-15-2014, 10:31 PM
Then this kind comes back to the USA and become cops who then go out killing the American people like they terrorized and gunned down people all over the world.

She's saying Grandmaster Weird, that in order to get people to risk their life to save yours you have to be someone people want to do that for. If you don't act like the group the group's not going to go out into hell for you.

btw, I looked up that one dude whose picture you keep posting. He's like some gay Russian or some kind of country like that pop star. Wassup?

iustitia
02-15-2014, 11:10 PM
I fucking hate shaving every day. Bring on the liberalization. Death to razorbumps. And fuck uniformity. And our gay-ass digital camo.

IzzyB
02-15-2014, 11:14 PM
I like the digis. I look tough in mine.

iustitia
02-15-2014, 11:39 PM
Most people with tits do. Except men. Then they look unhealthy.

Peter1469
02-16-2014, 12:52 AM
Most people with tits do. Except men. Then they look unhealthy.

You haven't seen me in mine. :cool2: