PDA

View Full Version : After outcry from right, Mitt Romney reverses stance on minimum wage

Stoney
03-08-2012, 09:12 AM
It didn't get much notice amid the buildup to Super Tuesday. But after conservative outcry over his support for raising the minimum wage, Mitt Romney quietly reversed his position this week. "There's probably not a need to raise the minimum wage," the Republican front-runner told CNBC's Larry Kudlow (http://www.opposingviews.com/i/politics/2012-election/video-mitt-romney-opposes-raising-minimum-wage) on Monday.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/outcry-mitt-romney-reverses-stance-minimum-wage-181557691.html

He can't make up his mind rather he's a liberal or a politician first.

Conley
03-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Wow, that's embarrassing. What a mess of a campaign.

I think right now Romney is more politician than liberal, meaning he'll say anything, even if he doesn't believe it, to get funding for his campaign and to win the nomination.

Stoney
03-08-2012, 09:22 AM
I'm conflicted about what he'd do in office. I wonder if he wouldn't lean to his right to try to reflect his support even if it didn't reflect his true beliefs. But then I think he would appoint people like him, taking a left turn.

I'm not voting for him.

Conley
03-08-2012, 09:26 AM
I'm conflicted about what he'd do in office. I wonder if he wouldn't lean to his right to try to reflect his support even if it didn't reflect his true beliefs. But then I think he would appoint people like him, taking a left turn.

I'm not voting for him.

Even if he tried to lean right to be loyal to his supporters I think his true convictions would win out over time. He may be somewhat more conservative now than he was as governor but I don't see how a person that age suddenly has an awakening and makes a big move in political convictions. The only way I would buy that is if he had some life altering event during that time, but to my knowledge he hasn't.

Stoney
03-08-2012, 09:35 AM
I see very few politicians whose convictions go beyond getting elected. I agree his instincts at getting elected are to the left. Maybe it wouldn't take longer than being chosen as the Republican candidate for him to turn left.

BTW, I see Ron Paul as one of the few that sees principles more important than getting elected, as did Barry Goldwater.

Conley
03-08-2012, 09:37 AM
I see very few politicians whose convictions go beyond getting elected. I agree his instincts at getting elected are to the left. Maybe it wouldn't take longer than being chosen as the Republican candidate for him to turn left.

BTW, I see Ron Paul as one of the few that sees principles more important than getting elected, as did Barry Goldwater.

I agree with you about Paul. There were times in the past where I wished he had tried harder to get elected, but then a lot of his treatment in the 2008 election was beyond his control.

Peter1469
03-08-2012, 11:15 AM
How many places in the US does the federal minimum wage ever become an issue?

Here in the DC area any job offered at the minimum wage goes un-filled. You can't live here in the minimum wage.

ramone
03-08-2012, 11:46 AM
You can't live anywhere on min wage, that is mainly for school kids I think. Anybody who is making min wage is getting xtra money from the government to make up for the cost of living. Just like cola in the military I figure.

Mister D
03-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Having years of experience in payrolling I can say that the vast majority of mimimum wage jobs are filled by kids and migrants (mostly Latin Americans and Chinese in my experience).

Scotty
03-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Mitt is a person that i couldn't vote for. I don't know what he stands for. the only thing he is consitant on is the govt on some level should be able to tell us what to do. (Individual Mandate)

MMC
03-08-2012, 06:51 PM
I'm not voting for the flag-crosser. :angry: I don't belive he saw the light at all. Althought I can see him carrying on that Neo-Con/Neo-lib agenda. To drop ones flag means to drop the ideology that comes with it. At least on the streets that is.....in the Ancient Sanskrit TeChs :laugh:

or the Annuals of history......one who changed flags, was called Traitor! Even if employed or made to serve another. :wink: