PDA

View Full Version : Mormons block records of jewish baptisms

jgreer
03-09-2012, 04:56 PM
What do you guys think about this.....

The mormons are baptizing jews after they die, I guess thinking they are saving there souls. I think it is offensive and wrong.

oops the forgot link:

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/09/10622877-mormon-church-restricts-online-access-to-jewish-names

Stoney
03-09-2012, 07:18 PM
I read it through twice trying to determine what physical action was be taken and could not. I can't imagine that anything physically invasive is being done, and if not don't see how it can be stopped. I would leave it to others to determine the harm.

Conley
03-09-2012, 07:24 PM
It's a weird story but one that has been going on for a while. Nothing is being done physically to the dead Jews, but I believe there is some kind of ceremony that the Mormon church undertakes on their behalf to baptism them with a surrogate. I suppose you can say their heart is in the right place but it seems disrespectful to me.

Scotty
03-09-2012, 07:55 PM
I read this earlier and decided to think about it for a while. the question i have that i could get from the story...Are they taking the physical bodies and doing it and if so how are they getting them?

Conley
03-09-2012, 08:07 PM
No, they are not doing anything to the bodies. As I understand it, they have a 'stand in' Mormon volunteer for the baptism.

Scotty
03-09-2012, 08:12 PM
No, they are not doing anything to the bodies. As I understand it, they have a 'stand in' Mormon volunteer for the baptism.

I'm not so sure this is a big deal..to me it's kinda like praying for somebody. Which i don't find disrespectful at all. At the church i attend and many other( Christian) we have had people stand in to pray for other who may be sick, and stuff like that. It's a non issue story for me. However i do see this story as a way to drag Mitt thru the mud by association.

Conley
03-09-2012, 08:33 PM
I'm not so sure this is a big deal..to me it's kinda like praying for somebody. Which i don't find disrespectful at all. At the church i attend and many other( Christian) we have had people stand in to pray for other who may be sick, and stuff like that. It's a non issue story for me. However i do see this story as a way to drag Mitt thru the mud by association.

Well, I don't think it has much to do with Mitt but sure, anything Mormon related and his name comes up.

Jewish associations have asked the Mormon Church to stop doing this, and the Mormon Leadership have agreed that they shouldn't be doing it. In my mind that suggests that they know the practice is wrong. Praying for someone IMO is a whole different story and I wouldn't have a problem with that. My sense is that this is more of a news story for the oddity of it rather than anything terribly offensive though.

Scotty
03-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Well, I don't think it has much to do with Mitt but sure, anything Mormon related and his name comes up.

Jewish associations have asked the Mormon Church to stop doing this, and the Mormon Leadership have agreed that they shouldn't be doing it. In my mind that suggests that they know the practice is wrong. Praying for someone IMO is a whole different story and I wouldn't have a problem with that. My sense is that this is more of a news story for the oddity of it rather than anything terribly offensive though.

I just see it bringing him into it...as the article did. I don't see this practice as a big deal personally. it's not gonna change the persons religion in the end. I think the mormons know that....so to this story i give a big MEH

Mister D
03-09-2012, 09:39 PM
This is a story because the hatchet men at MSDNC made it one. It's a transparent attempt to impugn Mitt Romney. I'm so glad everyone at this this site has the class...oh wait...

MMC
03-10-2012, 01:03 AM
Yeah funny they never bring up Harry Reid the Mormon. First time a someone mentions Romney. First response should be does that apply to Reid too?

roadmaster
03-10-2012, 11:28 AM

The mormons are baptizing jews after they die, I guess thinking they are saving there souls. I think it is offensive and wrong.

oops the forgot link:

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/09/10622877-mormon-church-restricts-online-access-to-jewish-names

I just don't see the big deal and no I am not Mormon. It's rumored that Obamas mother was done the same way. It's just something they do, does it make a difference after one is gone, to me no. I plan on being creameated myself which I do get a lot of looks because of it. I think once your soul has left the body it's over. You make your decisions before not after you die as far as the soul goes. I think just like funerals, wakes, ect it's more for the family than the one who has passed on. Every since I was less than 5 not a person ever looked peaceful or good in a coffin to me. Maybe it's just their way of saying goodby for now. I am not going to criticize them, just like praying over someone already dead unless the good Lord raises them from the dead, it's all for the family and maybe they find some peace in this. And yes, I will be the first in my generations to ever be cremated. My sister and I decided that a long time ago, as of now we are still living.

jgreer
03-10-2012, 12:45 PM
I never mentioned Romny and thought it was an interesting story. He wasnt even in the article until the very end

If this is how it is going to be whenever i put up a thread then i will just save yall the trouble

Mainecoons
03-10-2012, 01:17 PM
I grew up in Arizona. Lots of Mormons there. Frankly, I think it is as much a cult as it is a religion. I'd just as soon not have one in the White House, particularly since he's a Republicrat.

ramone
03-10-2012, 03:51 PM

oops the forgot link:

I think that the bible or any other religious mumbo jumbo is something written by some guy somewhere to sway opinion their way, and for their benefit. Stephen King writes books, what makes him different from whomever wrote the bible. Can anybody actually say who wrote the "Greatest STORY ever told"? Please let me know who the author was, and how he has been vetted.

Conley
03-10-2012, 08:23 PM
L. Ron Hubbard agrees.

roadmaster
03-11-2012, 01:23 AM
I never mentioned Romny and thought it was an interesting story. He wasnt even in the article until the very end

If this is how it is going to be whenever i put up a thread then i will just save yall the trouble

Understandable but I wasn't talking about him.There was another discussion at another place about this. Because we don't do this I asked why they did and knew their were Mormons that are members. One answered and this is what he said
"If you are a spirit that has passed on from this life and you are looking for someone else who has passed on to baptize you, it just won't work because baptism requires water (a physical substance). I'm sure God could find another way, yet he didn't find another way for his son, Jesus. I believe Jesus was baptized just as we should be.

Since I believe everyone will receive an immortal body and that there is just a time period between death and when that occurs, the baptism could take place after one receives their immortal body."

We can all assume answers but I would rather ask than to judge them or try to explain myself not being a Mormon.

Hope this helps as to understand them better.

Conley
03-11-2012, 09:14 AM
Thanks RM. In my mind it isn't a question of whether or not we Christians are bothered by this but instead if the Jews are. The Mormons can have all the best of intentions and no doubt do, but if the Jewish leaders are bothered by it and ask them to stop the practice and the Mormon leaders agree it is out of line, then IMHO the practice should be stopped.

Alias
03-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Mormonism has some things that makes other Christians go "WTF"?

wingrider
03-11-2012, 11:59 AM
baptism by proxy?? how is that scriptual? that is similar to there practice of praying people into heaven after they die, that is unscriptual also, you have one life to make a decision either for or against God. no amount of praying for the dead will make an iota of difference. pure nonsense.

Alias
03-11-2012, 12:06 PM
The scripture that practice is based on is taken totally misunderstood by Mormonism in my opinion.

wingrider
03-11-2012, 12:12 PM
The scripture that practice is based on is taken totally misunderstood by Mormonism in my opinion.

well what else do you expect from a cult that got its religion from a gold tablet that nobody but its founder has seen, and it had to be translated by an "angel" and that says that Jesus and satan are brothers..unbeliveable that adult thinking people could fall for that garbage,

Alias
03-11-2012, 01:20 PM
well what else do you expect from a cult that got its religion from a gold tablet that nobody but its founder has seen, and it had to be translated by an "angel" and that says that Jesus and satan are brothers..unbeliveable that adult thinking people could fall for that garbage,

People are deceived when they are ignorant of Scripture.