PDA

View Full Version : Corporal Punishment in Schools

Germanicus
02-23-2014, 09:32 PM
I have noticed that American media is doing a lot of talking about corporal punishment being brought back to schools. What do you think about this?

I was not 'smacked' as a child by my parents. Actually my Dad smacked me once for going to the beach without letting anyone know but I actually had let my Mum know and I thought she said I could go. But apparently I heard her wrong. So I am walking back from the beach and Im like 10 and here comes my parents in their car. They stop and my Dad gets out of the car, walks to me and smacks me really hard on my butt. I was like - what the fuck is going on? Since my parents never smacked me I was really angry about it. I still am a little. Especially since I thought that I had permission to go.

I remember some of my friends telling me that their parents hit them with a wooden spoon or a belt. I remember thinking that their parents were insane.

I remember reading Roald Dahl book Boy and that teacher with the cane.

Did your parents 'smack' you. Is that what is wrong with you? (: Are you old enough that a teacher hit you? Or caned you?

Do we really want teachers to be using the cane on our high school students? I know that many teenagers are brats these days but should we cane them? What would be the best way to punish teenagers if not the cane?

Do you smack your own children? Should that really be legal?

Kansas seems to be leading the fight to allow for the corporal punishment of children in schools. Is USA really an advanced nation? I am starting to think that it isnt. You have terrible welfare, capital punishment, you are religious, strange abortion fanatics, and now you want to cane high school students? I think that USA is 'developing' at best.
http://www.lawyerherald.com/articles/4727/20140220/kansas-intends-to-make-corporal-punishment-in-children-legal.htm

TheInternet
02-23-2014, 10:24 PM
Yes parents should be allowed to spank/whip/smack their kids. When kids get rebellious, sometimes the only way to handle it is by kicking their asses.

TheInternet
02-23-2014, 10:27 PM
BTW... why are you so obsessed with putting down the USA in nearly every post you make? The idea that the USA is not an advanced nation because their is a push in a state to allow spanking is laughable. Too many kids now grow up without any real discipline. A "time out" when the kid doesn't even comply is not a punishment, and teaches the kid nothing; a smack on the ass will fix it.

Kabuki Joe
02-23-2014, 10:35 PM
I have noticed that American media is doing a lot of talking about corporal punishment being brought back to schools. What do you think about this?

I was not 'smacked' as a child by my parents. Actually my Dad smacked me once for going to the beach without letting anyone know but I actually had let my Mum know and I thought she said I could go. But apparently I heard her wrong. So I am walking back from the beach and Im like 10 and here comes my parents in their car. They stop and my Dad gets out of the car, walks to me and smacks me really hard on my butt. I was like - what the fuck is going on? Since my parents never smacked me I was really angry about it. I still am a little. Especially since I thought that I had permission to go.

I remember some of my friends telling me that their parents hit them with a wooden spoon or a belt. I remember thinking that their parents were insane.

I remember reading Roald Dahl book Boy and that teacher with the cane.

Did your parents 'smack' you. Is that what is wrong with you? (: Are you old enough that a teacher hit you? Or caned you?

Do we really want teachers to be using the cane on our high school students? I know that many teenagers are brats these days but should we cane them? What would be the best way to punish teenagers if not the cane?

Do you smack your own children? Should that really be legal?

Kansas seems to be leading the fight to allow for the corporal punishment of children in schools. Is USA really an advanced nation? I am starting to think that it isnt. You have terrible welfare, capital punishment, you are religious, strange abortion fanatics, and now you want to cane high school students? I think that USA is 'developing' at best.
http://www.lawyerherald.com/articles/4727/20140220/kansas-intends-to-make-corporal-punishment-in-children-legal.htm

...the liberal way hasn't worked very well has it, otherwise there would be no talk on this...

Dr. Who
02-23-2014, 10:41 PM
Hitting teens only creates resentment, so no I don't believe that corporal punishment should be returned to the schools. All you might accomplish in this day and age is retribution against the person who carries out the punishment. A sudden rash of teachers or principals ambushed in parking lots by masked students, would quickly put an end to the practice.

Guerilla
02-23-2014, 10:49 PM
I think spanking can work, but it has to be used correctly, and in the right instances. If you do it to much I don't think it's effective anymore. Well maybe it's effective, but just not in a good way. Like, you don't want to terrify your kid and make them timid, or make them angry and impulsive. Too many parents are too stupid to use corporal punishment properly or in the right instances.

I also think once the kid is too old, spankings either just piss them off, or it's laughable to them, and doesn't work.

Kabuki Joe
02-23-2014, 10:54 PM
Hitting teens only creates resentment, so no I don't believe that corporal punishment should be returned to the schools. All you might accomplish in this day and age is retribution against the person who carries out the punishment. A sudden rash of teachers or principals ambushed in parking lots by masked students, would quickly put an end to the practice.

...here's the problem, birkenstock wearing freaks, like you I'd imagine, not teaching their kids limits and bouderies as children...I have a 26 year old nephew telling me I can't say "no" to his son (a little over a year), he wants me to say "don't do that"...I laughed in his face...but it's not his fault, his parents are complete idiots...I just keep saying no and if my nephew doesn't like it don't bring him to my house where I need to follow him around saying "no"...this child will grow to be a problem because his parents (my nephew and his ex-girlfriend) are idiots...

Guerilla
02-23-2014, 11:01 PM
...here's the problem, birkenstock wearing freaks, like you I'd imagine, not teaching their kids limits and bouderies as children...I have a 26 year old nephew telling me I can't say "no" to his son (a little over a year), he wants me to say "don't do that"...I laughed in his face...but it's not his fault, his parents are complete idiots...I just keep saying no and if my nephew doesn't like it don't bring him to my house where I need to follow him around saying "no"...this child will grow to be a problem because his parents (my nephew and his ex-girlfriend) are idiots...

What's the big deal? Why can't you just say don't do that, instead. Sounds like your being a dick.

Kabuki Joe
02-23-2014, 11:02 PM
I think spanking can work, but it has to be used correctly, and in the right instances. If you do it to much I don't think it's effective anymore. Well maybe it's effective, but just not in a good way. Like, you don't want to terrify your kid and make them timid, or make them angry and impulsive. Too many parents are too stupid to use corporal punishment properly or in the right instances.

I also think once the kid is too old, spankings either just piss them off, or it's laughable to them, and doesn't work.

...if you are on a kids ass you won't need to spank him/her more then a handfull of times...never past 5 or 6...the key is to never let a kid win and be consistent...you can't threaten a kid 10 times and only follow through once because then he/she knows they have a 90% chance of getting their way...hence my nephew in another post, he'd scew up 10 times and only get punished once and his parents would stand saying, "I don't know why he does this, we've done everything"...

Dr. Who
02-23-2014, 11:02 PM
I don't disagree with you there. Children need to learn discipline in their formative years. Excessive freedom simply produces unruly children and undisciplined adults. However once they are teens you are essentially trying to close the barn door after the horses have escaped. Corporal punishment used on teens is less than useless. The only way to get through to teens is intellectually. Now if the teen is a complete psychological mess or an anti-social personality, it will be difficult, if not impossible to reach him/her.

Guerilla
02-23-2014, 11:04 PM
...if you are on a kids ass you won't need to spank him/her more then a handfull of times...never past 5 or 6...the key is to never let a kid win and be consistent...you can't threaten a kid 10 times and only follow through once because then he/she knows they have a 90% chance of getting their way...hence my nephew in another post, he'd scew up 10 times and only get punished once and his parents would stand saying, "I don't know why he does this, we've done everything"...

I agree on all points here.

"I don't know why he does this, we've done everything"

When they say this...classic.

Kabuki Joe
02-23-2014, 11:04 PM
What's the big deal? Why can't you just say don't do that, instead. Sounds like your being a dick.

...I am a dick...a HUGE one...

Kabuki Joe
02-23-2014, 11:09 PM
I don't disagree with you there. Children need to learn discipline in their formative years. Excessive freedom simply produces unruly children and undisciplined adults. However once they are teens you are essentially trying to close the barn door after the horses have escaped. Corporal punishment used on teens is less than useless. The only way to get through to teens is intellectually. Now if the teen is a complete psychological mess or an anti-social personality, it will be difficult, if not impossible to reach him/her.

...my opinion is it's too late by the the they are teens because the parents, when the child is completely unruly in school, will stand up for him against the school...heck, even if you simply kick the kid out of school instead of corporal punishment the parents will scream bloody murder...the whole issue here is the US is full of lazy parents and the rest of us need to put up with them...

Kabuki Joe
02-23-2014, 11:21 PM
I agree on all points here.

When they say this...classic.

...we were on a train ride from Portland, OR to San Francisco and these two kids were running up and down the whole train...they were having a blast..............at the expense of the other pasengers...and I was listening to my brother-in-law telling this to the guy next to them when he mentioned how loud the kids were...with my sister-in-law sitting next to him nodding her head to everything he said...I was disgusted...a few years ago my sister-in-law was telling my wife how the youngest was getting violent with her and her husband so I went over and had a talk with him...he puffs up on his dad but he won't look me in the eye because he knows I'm not like his dad...anyway, I calmed him down and he went to his friends house...he's not a bad kid, he's just spoiled, remember 9 out of 10, and add to that his dad is an asshole to his mom (they are split up now) so he has no respect for his dad...it was funny as I was leaving that his dad looked at me and said, "just wait until he threatens you" to which I said, "he never will"...they are good kids with me and my wife because they know if I'm going to treat them with respect I expect it back...

Chloe
02-23-2014, 11:46 PM
I was never spanked growing up and I turned out fine. I know that I can't speak for everybody obviously but there is more to discipline than just spanking or not spanking. I was punished when I did something wrong or bad, I was grounded and so on, but never touched. I didn't fear my parents discipline because of the threat of physical harm. In my opinion being afraid of being hit by the people that are supposed to love me and teach me is not really a good thing honestly, but basically I feared letting them down more than anything else. I feared their disappointment, and still do, so much more than I would have ever feared a paddle. When I was really little i'm sure time outs and losing toys and privileges and stuff like that worked fine for my parents without them having to resort to hitting me.

Dr. Who
02-23-2014, 11:49 PM
...we were on a train ride from Portland, OR to San Francisco and these two kids were running up and down the whole train...they were having a blast..............at the expense of the other pasengers...and I was listening to my brother-in-law telling this to the guy next to them when he mentioned how loud the kids were...with my sister-in-law sitting next to him nodding her head to everything he said...I was disgusted...a few years ago my sister-in-law was telling my wife how the youngest was getting violent with her and her husband so I went over and had a talk with him...he puffs up on his dad but he won't look me in the eye because he knows I'm not like his dad...anyway, I calmed him down and he went to his friends house...he's not a bad kid, he's just spoiled, remember 9 out of 10, and add to that his dad is an asshole to his mom (they are split up now) so he has no respect for his dad...it was funny as I was leaving that his dad looked at me and said, "just wait until he threatens you" to which I said, "he never will"...they are good kids with me and my wife because they know if I'm going to treat them with respect I expect it back...

Children certainly learn by example. It is hard to rear a respectful child in a disrespectful environment. Children are young, but not stupid, and the art of manipulation is ingrained - a survival trait. When parents are inconsistent or not on the same page, children will work it to their own immediate advantage. The problem with many parents is that they ignore their instincts and instead refer to psychological handbooks on child rearing. Common sense and love are a better guideline. Discipline must be fair and just, and never lazy. Each child's transgressions should be dealt with individually. The idea of punishing all for the transgression of one simply creates a climate of distrust and fear and teaches no lessons. The punishment should be proportional to the crime, which means one shouldn't have to hit children to discipline them, at least most of the time. There are occasions with some children where a whack on the behind may be necessary to get their attention, but generally a smart parent who knows their child, also knows what buttons to push to bring them in line.

Newpublius
02-23-2014, 11:59 PM
In my entire life my dad hit me once and only once when I was acting up in the back seat of the car at the Stop and Shop at Exit 56 of I-95 in Branford, CT. It shocked me, because he never really did hit me. My mom backhanded me once in a car and wound up hitting me with her ring inadvertently when I was a young child at the A&P and that hurt. As I got older! she wasn't a genuine physical threat to me and she'd whack my body so to speak and naturally I'd take it, just really as a forceful form of disapproval.

I've already decided, I'm just not going to hit my children. I'm a big guy, like my mom, I might hurt them more than I want, and really I don't believe.

But of late my son is testing me because right now he's at an age where his hand is in his diaper, and then it's in his mouth and the saliva plus daycare, this is a kooties issue. I actually do tell him the rationale because I figure eventually they'll understand. Right now they don't and really I'd like to stop the behavior. Any time I see the hand in his pants or in his mouth I tell him to get his hands out of his mouth. And he does, but he's obeying me sporadically.

I'm exasperated and am thinking maybe I should 'whack' the hand? The behavior really is having adverse consequences for his health, he's getting diarrhea, colds.....and I know how he's getting it.....hand to mouth.....

Dr. Who
02-24-2014, 12:25 AM
In my entire life my dad hit me once and only once when I was acting up in the back seat of the car at the Stop and Shop at Exit 56 of I-95 in Branford, CT. It shocked me, because he never really did hit me. My mom backhanded me once in a car and wound up hitting me with her ring inadvertently when I was a young child at the A&P and that hurt. As I got older! she wasn't a genuine physical threat to me and she'd whack my body so to speak and naturally I'd take it, just really as a forceful form of disapproval.

I've already decided, I'm just not going to hit my children. I'm a big guy, like my mom, I might hurt them more than I want, and really I don't believe.

But of late my son is testing me because right now he's at an age where his hand is in his diaper, and then it's in his mouth and the saliva plus daycare, this is a kooties issue. I actually do tell him the rationale because I figure eventually they'll understand. Right now they don't and really I'd like to stop the behavior. Any time I see the hand in his pants or in his mouth I tell him to get his hands out of his mouth. And he does, but he's obeying me sporadically.

I'm exasperated and am thinking maybe I should 'whack' the hand? The behavior really is having adverse consequences for his health, he's getting diarrhea, colds.....and I know how he's getting it.....hand to mouth.....

How old is junior? Is he old enough to be toilet trained? Kids can be completely toilet trained at 2 years, it just requires a great deal of attention on the part of parents. I know this because myself and my two other siblings were toilet trained by two years of age. Being in day care is a problem because the workers don't pay that kind of attention to kids. That's why many kids are not toilet trained until they are four! If a child is capable of indicating what bodily function is imminent, and it doesn't have to be a well articulated word, but something that sounds remotely like the words you have been teaching, they are capable of using a toilet or potty. Children display certain physical behavior when they have to go. It is up to you to recognize that behavior, ask them if they need to so something, rush them to the facilities and encourage them to do whatever it is they need to do. It may take many attempts but they eventually get the idea, at which point they should get major praise.

Newpublius
02-24-2014, 12:41 AM
https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1794536_10153839609135623_115553188_n.jpg

3 in March. He sat on potty today, but it wasn't there. It's really the hand in his mouth because while the hand in pants coupled with hand in mouth is vividly disgusting, the rest of the world? Not really clean....cute right...I see that right hand on him and know better......my little girl needs hand lotion! Hehe

Kabuki Joe
02-24-2014, 09:39 AM
I was never spanked growing up and I turned out fine. I know that I can't speak for everybody obviously but there is more to discipline than just spanking or not spanking. I was punished when I did something wrong or bad, I was grounded and so on, but never touched. I didn't fear my parents discipline because of the threat of physical harm. In my opinion being afraid of being hit by the people that are supposed to love me and teach me is not really a good thing honestly, but basically I feared letting them down more than anything else. I feared their disappointment, and still do, so much more than I would have ever feared a paddle. When I was really little i'm sure time outs and losing toys and privileges and stuff like that worked fine for my parents without them having to resort to hitting me.

...first off, I'm not surprised by you opinion since you live in lala land...secondly, everything you say about your past (well, everyone that posts on this forum) is fiction as far as I'm concerned unless I can prove it in my own mind...meaning?...my oldest cousin truly believe he was a perfect child, like you, and that his parents had no problems with him, like you...to date, he was the worst kid I have ever been around, absolute worst...and when I tell him these things he's stunned and he can't believe it...me and my wife laugh at when when he disputes it...right now?...he's a wonderful and very bright person but he lives at home still and he has a very bad chemical dependancy...but other then being addicted to drugs, he has no real issues and he's just like you, perfect...

Chloe
02-24-2014, 10:05 AM
...first off, I'm not surprised by you opinion since you live in lala land...secondly, everything you say about your past (well, everyone that posts on this forum) is fiction as far as I'm concerned unless I can prove it in my own mind...meaning?...my oldest cousin truly believe he was a perfect child, like you, and that his parents had no problems with him, like you...to date, he was the worst kid I have ever been around, absolute worst...and when I tell him these things he's stunned and he can't believe it...me and my wife laugh at when when he disputes it...right now?...he's a wonderful and very bright person but he lives at home still and he has a very bad chemical dependancy...but other then being addicted to drugs, he has no real issues and he's just like you, perfect...

Why can't you just talk to me about a topic and not find ways to put me down? I'm not perfect and I absolutely do not believe that I have been perfect. I know i've been a brat at times to my parents and just in the past year i've gotten in trouble twice, a MIP citation late last year and then that dog thing which I didn't get in trouble with legally but was a big disappointment for my mom and dad. When I was in high school I got suspended for a couple of days for not removing student written editorials that were to be put in the student newspaper. My teacher and one of the vice principals told me to omit them (I was the editor at the time) since they were not favorable to the school and some of the school's issues at the time, but I didn't and I printed it anyway.

No kid is perfect growing up, especially a teen, but I don't think spanking me when I was little would have made me think twice about drinking under age and getting caught, disobeying my vice principal and not removing articles from a student newspaper, or taking that guys dog because of the conditions it was living in. People make mistakes, i've made mistakes, but spanking wouldn't have prevented them in my opinion.

Kabuki Joe
02-24-2014, 10:27 AM
Children certainly learn by example. It is hard to rear a respectful child in a disrespectful environment. Children are young, but not stupid, and the art of manipulation is ingrained - a survival trait. When parents are inconsistent or not on the same page, children will work it to their own immediate advantage. The problem with many parents is that they ignore their instincts and instead refer to psychological handbooks on child rearing. Common sense and love are a better guideline. Discipline must be fair and just, and never lazy. Each child's transgressions should be dealt with individually. The idea of punishing all for the transgression of one simply creates a climate of distrust and fear and teaches no lessons. The punishment should be proportional to the crime, which means one shouldn't have to hit children to discipline them, at least most of the time. There are occasions with some children where a whack on the behind may be necessary to get their attention, but generally a smart parent who knows their child, also knows what buttons to push to bring them in line.

...our prisions are full of the product of you opinion...you only have until 5 years old, after that it's too late...

Kabuki Joe
02-24-2014, 10:45 AM
Why can't you just talk to me about a topic and not find ways to put me down? I'm not perfect and I absolutely do not believe that I have been perfect. I know i've been a brat at times to my parents and just in the past year i've gotten in trouble twice, a MIP citation late last year and then that dog thing which I didn't get in trouble with legally but was a big disappointment for my mom and dad. When I was in high school I got suspended for a couple of days for not removing student written editorials that were to be put in the student newspaper. My teacher and one of the vice principals told me to omit them (I was the editor at the time) since they were not favorable to the school and some of the school's issues at the time, but I didn't and I printed it anyway.

No kid is perfect growing up, especially a teen, but I don't think spanking me when I was little would have made me think twice about drinking under age and getting caught, disobeying my vice principal and not removing articles from a student newspaper, or taking that guys dog because of the conditions it was living in. People make mistakes, i've made mistakes, but spanking wouldn't have prevented them in my opinion.

...I can relate, my daughter had an MIP once and as usual mom had to deal with it...I deal with my wife in a simple way, you make the choice, you suffer the consequences if it goes wrong...my daughter is a handful, but she has issues and I need to take them into account...I let mom deal with her now and it makes my life a lot easier...

Cthulhu
02-24-2014, 12:58 PM
Pummel our children as you see fit, but don't touch mine. There is a time and a place to pummel children, and I don't trust a school with the moral caliber to know the difference.

Adelaide
02-24-2014, 03:11 PM
I don't agree with the use of corporal punishment, in school or in the home. I would never raise a hand to a child. If someone tried to hit a child of mine I'd probably hunt them down and hit them back or report them to the police, (most likely the latter). I believe and trust in the research that supports that corporal punishment isn't necessary to raise a good child and can actually be quite harmful.

Cthulhu
02-24-2014, 05:11 PM
I don't agree with the use of corporal punishment, in school or in the home. I would never raise a hand to a child. If someone tried to hit a child of mine I'd probably hunt them down and hit them back or report them to the police, (most likely the latter). I believe and trust in the research that supports that corporal punishment isn't necessary to raise a good child and can actually be quite harmful.

I tend to agree, the heavy handed approach is generally not going to get you the best long term results. But there are times and places in which it is appropriate. Such instances are generally rare.