PDA

View Full Version : US DoD to shrink to pre-WWII levels

Peter1469
02-24-2014, 06:13 AM
US DoD to shrink to pre-WWII levels (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/24/us/politics/pentagon-plans-to-shrink-army-to-pre-world-war-ii-level.html?_r=0)

I will read the article later, but it seems as if DoD's proposed fiscal year 2015 budget will include some large cuts to troop strength and some older Cold War programs / equipment, such as the Air Force A-10 tank killer.

zelmo1234
02-24-2014, 06:21 AM
Sounds like the Carter military budgets.

Not surprising! Just more work for the next president to repair

Gerrard Winstanley
02-24-2014, 06:31 AM
Sounds like the Carter military budgets.

Not surprising! Just more work for the next president to repair
The Clinton woman? :azn:

zelmo1234
02-24-2014, 06:41 AM

OK the President after that??? :)

Captain Obvious
02-24-2014, 07:31 AM
Military spending needs cut.

nathanbforrest45
02-24-2014, 07:46 AM
It depends on what is cut and what is maintained. Do we need "tank killers" for example? The main problem with the military is they are always gearing up to fight the last war and not looking to the future. I was in the Navy from 1965 to 1971. I served on the USS Mansfield, a WW2 era destroyer. We had a crew of 350 or so. Today's warships can function with half that number and as technology improves that will decrease even more. Do we need the Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, Special Forces, etc etc. Can those be combined into a more efficient less self serving unit?

A smaller military may not automatically be a more impotent military.

patrickt
02-24-2014, 08:18 AM

That only narrows it down to about 25% of the female population of the U.S.

And the paramilitary forces used to oppress the country are at an all time high. The Post Office, the EPA, the Deptartment of Education are all buy large quantities of ammunition.
http://www.infowars.com/u-s-postal-service-announces-giant-ammo-purchase/

donttread
02-24-2014, 08:25 AM
US DoD to shrink to pre-WWII levels (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/24/us/politics/pentagon-plans-to-shrink-army-to-pre-world-war-ii-level.html?_r=0)

I will read the article later, but it seems as if DoD's proposed fiscal year 2015 budget will include some large cuts to troop strength and some older Cold War programs / equipment, such as the Air Force A-10 tank killer.

Bring them all home

Gerrard Winstanley
02-24-2014, 09:22 AM
Bring them all home
I'll say it once and I'll say it again: the U.S. military budget can't be justified under current circumstances. To analogize, it's the geopolitical equivalent of stocking up on Apaches, hand grenades and Hellfire missiles because your neighbor made a snide comment about your old lady.

Mainecoons
02-24-2014, 09:25 AM
Much of the U.S. military budget is pure pork. Time to stop policing the world, folks, and start policing the border.

Captain Obvious
02-24-2014, 09:32 AM
Much of the U.S. military budget is pure pork. Time to stop policing the world, folks, and start policing the border.

Don't count on it.

Mainecoons
02-24-2014, 09:39 AM
Nope, it's pretty obvious that you'll only get part of one and none of the other at least from the ObombedIt administration.

Green Arrow
02-24-2014, 10:09 AM
Don't get excited. All we're doing is restructuring the DoD to handle and afford future warfare. That means more drones and such.

Polecat
02-24-2014, 10:18 AM
The fly in the ointment is going to be what is to become of the military industrial complex. From where I see it the economic impact of just shutting down the machine would be comparable to the end of domestic car production. We need a graceful way to transition the people involved to different occupations.

MrJimmyDale
02-24-2014, 10:31 AM
The fly in the ointment is going to be what is to become of the military industrial complex. From where I see it the economic impact of just shutting down the machine would be comparable to the end of domestic car production. We need a graceful way to transition the people involved to different occupations. Most will get into law enforcement and will serve no-knock warrants via armored vehicles while wearing SWAT gear...........

Polecat
02-24-2014, 10:46 AM
Most will get into law enforcement and will serve no-knock warrants via armored vehicles while wearing SWAT gear...........

I was thinking more about the engineers and craftsmen that build the weaponery. I would like to think that our own soldiers would find something better to do than become domestic thugs.