PDA

View Full Version : First Look: The FDA's Nutrition Label Gets A Makeover

Captain Obvious
02-27-2014, 10:32 AM
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/02/27/283055089/first-look-the-fdas-nutrition-label-gets-a-makeover

Ready for a reality check about how many calories you're eating or drinking? The proposed new nutrition facts panel may help.

The Obama administration Thursday released its proposed tweaks to the iconic black and white panel that we're all accustomed to seeing on food packages.

The most visible change is that calorie counts are bigger and bolder — to give them greater emphasis.

In addition, serving sizes start to reflect the way most of us really eat. Take, for example, ice cream. The current serving size is a half cup. But who eats that little?

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2014/02/26/new-label2_custom-78217b75f0547ec99d1e91170af0357a3bf2ebed-s2-c85.jpg

Peter1469
02-27-2014, 11:29 AM
If you aren't counting your calories, and you care about losing or gaining weight, you are guessing.

I hope the print on the labels is large enough to read....

Common
02-28-2014, 06:57 AM
That is not a huge change and I dont see the purpose of it myself. The only thing that may be useful is the increased portion size, but who eats just a 1/3 cup of icecream. A cone is bigger than that isnt it

I believe samsclub had a cheesecake at one time, the calories on it were 260 per slice, thing was there were 16 slices in a relatively small cheesecake, eating one portion would just piss you off

Codename Section
02-28-2014, 07:12 AM
I think that its a good idea but will be useless to combat fat. She's kidding herself if she thinks non-health conscious people are looking at the labels. It's people like me that do and I wouldn't be shoveling ice cream in my mouth anyway.

Common
03-03-2014, 07:15 AM
I think that its a good idea but will be useless to combat fat. She's kidding herself if she thinks non-health conscious people are looking at the labels. It's people like me that do and I wouldn't be shoveling ice cream in my mouth anyway.

There ya go, obese people and bad eaters couldnt care less what labels say. Its the "HEALTHY" that read labels and watch what they buy and eat.

I had a cousin that was been obese her entire life and she did it ALL over many years. Every diet, hypnotist, medical fasting, been to hospitals, been in numerous programs. Lastly she got her stomach surgically reduced, this was before the most recent procedures, lap band etc. This was one of the first. That didnt work for her she OVERATE and stuffed herself and had to have surgery again.

That proved to me that its all psychological, overactive thyroid nonesense and its in your dna and its hereditary I dont believe it.
She overate no matter what and it was in her head not her stomach. She ate and she wasnt one bit hungry she couldnt be hungry. Food replaced something lacking in her psyche. Poor woman died young and had a very unhappy life.

Paperback Writer
03-03-2014, 08:38 AM

The big problem I see is your love of cars in the US. People don't walk places anymore. Your suburban culture is all about driving, not biking, not walking, not hiking.

Peter1469
03-03-2014, 09:31 AM
A colleague of mine got one of these procedures done. Prior to it I was trying to talk him out of it. He showed me the post-surgery instructions about eating and exercising. I told him that he should skip the surgery and just follow those instructions. He has lost a lot of weight, but not as much as he wanted. And his diet is extremely limited.

There ya go, obese people and bad eaters couldnt care less what labels say. Its the "HEALTHY" that read labels and watch what they buy and eat.

I had a cousin that was been obese her entire life and she did it ALL over many years. Every diet, hypnotist, medical fasting, been to hospitals, been in numerous programs. Lastly she got her stomach surgically reduced, this was before the most recent procedures, lap band etc. This was one of the first. That didnt work for her she OVERATE and stuffed herself and had to have surgery again.

That proved to me that its all psychological, overactive thyroid nonesense and its in your dna and its hereditary I dont believe it.
She overate no matter what and it was in her head not her stomach. She ate and she wasnt one bit hungry she couldnt be hungry. Food replaced something lacking in her psyche. Poor woman died young and had a very unhappy life.

Peter1469
03-03-2014, 09:34 AM
The big problem I see is your love of cars in the US. People don't walk places anymore. Your suburban culture is all about driving, not biking, not walking, not hiking.

That is a big problem for the US, caused by our size and suburban culture. I actually live in a place that ranks 100% on the walkability scale (http://sallis.ucsd.edu/measure_news.html).

Polecat
03-03-2014, 09:45 AM
One thing that I noticed with labeling was the marketing goons getting involved. You take the same old crap product that's been on the shelf for decades and boost sales to a more health conscious public by reducing the portion size on the label and reducing the calories and VIOLA! You have healthy choice! The whole notion of portion size is absurd in the first place. Truth in labeling as well as advertising is a dead duck and it will take a lot more than this silly label change to correct that.

nathanbforrest45
03-03-2014, 02:02 PM

Overeating is a compulsive disorder not unlike alcoholism or drug addiction. There may be an insignificant few who bloat up because of medication but in every other case of being overweight its simply a factor of putting too much into your mouth. You cannot eat an entire chocolate cake simply because you are hungry.

All the diets in the world will do no good until the person is ready to address the underlying cause of their food addiction.

nathanbforrest45
03-03-2014, 02:05 PM
One thing that I noticed with labeling was the marketing goons getting involved. You take the same old crap product that's been on the shelf for decades and boost sales to a more health conscious public by reducing the portion size on the label and reducing the calories and VIOLA! You have healthy choice! The whole notion of portion size is absurd in the first place. Truth in labeling as well as advertising is a dead duck and it will take a lot more than this silly label change to correct that.

I don't know, I kind of like portion control myself. I was skinny my entire life until I turned 50. I shot up because I was used to eating anything I wanted to eat and stayed around 140 lbs. When I hit 210 I decided it was time to do something and went to eating nothing but frozen dinners. I went back down to 160. I am now back up to 185 so its time to do it again.

Peter1469
03-03-2014, 02:16 PM
Frozen dinners may be better than they used to be, but still it isn't optimal. Eat fresh foods.

I don't know, I kind of like portion control myself. I was skinny my entire life until I turned 50. I shot up because I was used to eating anything I wanted to eat and stayed around 140 lbs. When I hit 210 I decided it was time to do something and went to eating nothing but frozen dinners. I went back down to 160. I am now back up to 185 so its time to do it again.

nathanbforrest45
03-03-2014, 02:27 PM
Frozen dinners may be better than they used to be, but still it isn't optimal. Eat fresh foods.

One of the main issues with frozen dinners is the salt content. That could be a serious problem is you have high blood pressure.

The issue I have with fresh is portion control. I certainly don't find frozen dinners to be Five Star in quality.

Peter1469
03-03-2014, 02:42 PM
Get a food scale. I have two- one here and one at work.

One of the main issues with frozen dinners is the salt content. That could be a serious problem is you have high blood pressure.

The issue I have with fresh is portion control. I certainly don't find frozen dinners to be Five Star in quality.

Mister D
03-03-2014, 02:50 PM
I can't imagine eating frozen dinners regularly. Damn that's some depressing shit. Mind you, some vegetables freeze very well. Peas, for example. All those overly processed meals though? Ugh...

Captain Obvious
03-03-2014, 02:53 PM
Corn freezes great, we eat a fair amount of frozen corn.

I use corn instead of beans when I make chilli. It gives a sweet off-taste that compliments the heat I put into it, plus it's not that I don't like beans, I just don't like fucking farting all day the next day.

Peter1469
03-03-2014, 02:54 PM
Yes there is a difference between frozen fresh produce and frozen dinners that don't start off as natural. I suspect that frozen dinners had a lot to do with my dad dying at 63.

Mister D
03-03-2014, 02:55 PM
Corn freezes great, we eat a fair amount of frozen corn.

I use corn instead of beans when I make chilli. It gives a sweet off-taste that compliments the heat I put into it, plus it's not that I don't like beans, I just don't like fucking farting all day the next day.

I use frozen corn too but I also use beans in my chili if I'm going to run a lot that week.

I don't get gas from beans. Leafy greens and broccoli get me.

Mister D
03-03-2014, 02:56 PM
Yes there is a difference between frozen fresh produce and frozen dinners that don't start off as natural. I suspect that frozen dinners had a lot to do with my dad dying at 63.

I used to eat them when I was younger. Not sure I could stomach most of them now.

Common
03-03-2014, 03:50 PM
Overeating is a compulsive disorder not unlike alcoholism or drug addiction. There may be an insignificant few who bloat up because of medication but in every other case of being overweight its simply a factor of putting too much into your mouth. You cannot eat an entire chocolate cake simply because you are hungry.

All the diets in the world will do no good until the person is ready to address the underlying cause of their food addiction.

I agree

Common
03-03-2014, 03:55 PM
Flash frozen vegetables keep more of their nutritious value than most of the supposed fresh produce you buy in supermarkets.
Produce and fruit is picked long before maturity and that greatly reduces the nutrients you get from it. Couple that with the way its handled and the length of time it takes to get the wholesaler than to the reseller some of its worthless.

Actual farm markets are the best, markets set up right at the farm where its grown. Thats they best your going to get. Everything ive read said frozen vegetables are absolutely more consistent with their nutrition.

Frozen dinners and frozen vegetables arent even close. Frozen dinners have as much fat and salt and preservatives as they can stick in it.
Frozen veggies are just that. Sadly they dont taste as good as really fresh produce

Peter1469
03-03-2014, 04:04 PM
Agreed about the flash frozen stuff.

Flash frozen vegetables keep more of their nutritious value than most of the supposed fresh produce you buy in supermarkets.
Produce and fruit is picked long before maturity and that greatly reduces the nutrients you get from it. Couple that with the way its handled and the length of time it takes to get the wholesaler than to the reseller some of its worthless.

Actual farm markets are the best, markets set up right at the farm where its grown. Thats they best your going to get. Everything ive read said frozen vegetables are absolutely more consistent with their nutrition.

Frozen dinners and frozen vegetables arent even close. Frozen dinners have as much fat and salt and preservatives as they can stick in it.
Frozen veggies are just that. Sadly they dont taste as good as really fresh produce

waltky
11-04-2017, 06:11 PM
Millions Either Malnourished or Obese...
http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/images/smilies/eek.gif
Study of Nutrition Crisis Finds Millions Either Malnourished or Obese
November 03, 2017 — Almost every country in the world now has serious nutrition problems, either because of overeating leading to obesity or a lack of food leading to undernutrition, according to a major study published Saturday.

Researchers behind the Global Nutrition Report, which looked at 140 countries, said the problems were thwarting "human development as a whole" and called for a critical change in the response to this global health threat. The report found that while malnutrition rates were falling globally, their rate of decrease was not fast enough to meet the internationally agreed Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) to end all forms of malnutrition by 2030.

https://gdb.voanews.com/58C7CF18-B4C6-4CE8-9B0C-2B94F29006F9_w1023_r1_s.jpg
Ali Madey holds his malnourished child Mohamed Ali, 5, in their camp for the displaced on the outskirts of Mogadishu, Somalia

More than 155 million children under age 5 are stunted because of lack of nutrition, and 52 million are defined as "wasted," meaning they do not weigh enough for their height, the report said. At the other end of the spectrum, overeating is taking a heavy toll on people of all ages worldwide: The report found that 2 billion of the world's 7 billion people are now overweight or obese. In North America, a third of all men and women are obese.

Worldwide, at least 41 million children under 5 are overweight, and in Africa alone, 10 million children are now classified as overweight. "Historically, maternal anemia and child undernutrition have been seen as separate problems to obesity and noncommunicable diseases," said Jessica Fanzo, a professor at Johns Hopkins University in the United States who co-led the Global Nutrition Report. "The reality is they are intimately connected and driven by inequalities everywhere in the world. That's why governments ... need to tackle them holistically, not as distinct problems."

https://gdb.voanews.com/C28408AA-8B6C-47C6-ABCF-2F09E73F7961_w650_r0_s.jpg
A woman walks along a boardwalk in New York.

Donor funding for nutrition rose by just 2 percent to $867 million in 2015, the report found. It said funding needs to be "turbocharged" and called for a tripling of global investment in nutrition to $70 billion over 10 years. The Global Nutrition Report is an independently produced annual analysis of the state of the world's nutrition. It tracks progress on targets for maternal, infant and young child nutrition and on diet-related chronic diseases adopted by World Health Organization member states.

https://www.voanews.com/a/study-nutrition-crisis-finds-millions-either-malnourished-or-obese/4099706.html

Mister D
11-04-2017, 06:12 PM
Nutrition isn't rocket science.

Kacper
11-04-2017, 06:35 PM
The should make the fat number bigger, not the calorie number

jimmyz
11-04-2017, 07:08 PM
Millions Either Malnourished or Obese...
http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/images/smilies/eek.gif
Study of Nutrition Crisis Finds Millions Either Malnourished or Obese
November 03, 2017 — Almost every country in the world now has serious nutrition problems, either because of overeating leading to obesity or a lack of food leading to undernutrition, according to a major study published Saturday.
I see the malnourished child held by a perfectly nourished parent and blow a fuse. Why are you fed and your child not, you asshole parents?