PDA

View Full Version : Hello From The North

RNG
02-27-2014, 04:34 PM
I'm a retired oil industry worker who has relatively recently developed an interest in politics and economics. And my start was in chemistry which has kept me interested in the sciences.

If I have to pigeon-hole myself I guess saying I disagree with less of the Libertarian Party platform than that of any other political party I have run into would be the best description.

Again generalizations but I am fiscally conservative and socially somewhere between "leave it alone" and liberal.

Akula
02-27-2014, 04:37 PM
Howdy.

nic34
02-27-2014, 04:44 PM
Hello! welcome.

Alaska maybe?

RNG
02-27-2014, 04:46 PM
Hello! welcome.

Alaska maybe?Not quite, just Canada. I live in the greater Vancouver area.

nic34
02-27-2014, 04:50 PM
Vancouver is great. I miss my trips there when I lived in Coeur d'Alene. Do you know Point Roberts, Wa.?

RNG
02-27-2014, 04:54 PM
Vancouver is great. I miss my trips there when I lived in Coeur d'Alene. Do you know Point Roberts, Wa.?Yes. It's about a 20 min drive away from me. We drive down to Bellingham to shop quite often.

Dr. Who
02-27-2014, 06:45 PM
Welcome to the forum RNG!

Adelaide
02-27-2014, 10:09 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Peter1469
02-28-2014, 12:37 AM
Welcome to tPF!

Bob
02-28-2014, 02:34 AM
Welcome. To kick this off, what is your view about the XL pipeline into the US down to TX?

Dr. Who
02-28-2014, 10:00 PM
The fact that the pipeline will cross aquifers should give anyone pause for concern. Once an aquifer is contaminated, it may be unusable for anywhere from two weeks to 10,000 years, depending on the size of the aquifer.

Bob
02-28-2014, 10:06 PM
The fact that the pipeline will cross aquifers should give anyone pause for concern. Once an aquifer is contaminated, it may be unusable for anywhere from two weeks to 10,000 years, depending on the size of the aquifer.

It is a bit late to worry about that. But the pipe route is no longer over the Ogalala water deposits. Many oil pipes in the USA cross water.

Dr. Who
02-28-2014, 10:18 PM
It is a bit late to worry about that. But the pipe route is no longer over the Ogalala water deposits. Many oil pipes in the USA cross water.

Still a worry. I would prefer a sincere move away from fossil fuels. The science for electrical energy sources is very well developed, but sublimated by the oil industry. People and the environment are being needlessly endangered because specific interests have the power to influence government and keep better and safer forms of energy from being developed. The nonsense projects adopted by government are throw aways - they know they won't work. That is deliberate. It keeps people from considering legitimate options.

RNG
02-28-2014, 11:46 PM
I seriously hope the XL pipeline is rejected. That would increase the political and business impetus to put through the Northern Gateway pipeline to our west coast and an easterly line linking up to the Atlantic. That way more jobs and more money would stay in Canada.

Bob
03-01-2014, 01:49 AM
Still a worry. I would prefer a sincere move away from fossil fuels. The science for electrical energy sources is very well developed, but sublimated by the oil industry. People and the environment are being needlessly endangered because specific interests have the power to influence government and keep better and safer forms of energy from being developed. The nonsense projects adopted by government are throw aways - they know they won't work. That is deliberate. It keeps people from considering legitimate options.

I have sound arguments for all of your points.

But the best data is from science.

Get the book, by Professor Muller; Physics for future presidents and you will understand.

http://www.amazon.com/Physics-Future-Presidents-Science-Headlines/dp/0393337111

Peter1469
03-01-2014, 09:01 AM
Can you provide a summary of the book? Or at least with some of the issues like global warming and nuclear power?