PDA

View Full Version : Are American Presidents better during their second terms?

KC
02-27-2014, 10:17 PM
Personally, it seems intuitive. Since they can no longer be reelected, there is no need to return favors to campaign contributors. The only thing a president seems to have to gain during his second term is his own legacy. What do you guys think? Does the experience of presidents since FDR confirm or deny this?

Common
02-27-2014, 10:50 PM
From my experience they have all seemed more aggressive in pushing their agenda during second terms, like you said they dont have to campaign again and raise tons of money. However, they do have to use restraint not to go overboard and cost their party elections. I think Obama is going to be one that goes over the line and costs his party in coming elections.

KC
02-27-2014, 11:01 PM
From my experience they have all seemed more aggressive in pushing their agenda during second terms, like you said they dont have to campaign again and raise tons of money. However, they do have to use restraint not to go overboard and cost their party elections. I think Obama is going to be one that goes over the line and costs his party in coming elections.

Why? What about him makes you think he'll be different?

Bob
02-27-2014, 11:12 PM
Personally, it seems intuitive. Since they can no longer be reelected, there is no need to return favors to campaign contributors. The only thing a president seems to have to gain during his second term is his own legacy. What do you guys think? Does the experience of presidents since FDR confirm or deny this?

If you recall, the CEO of GM lost his job.

Mind you, the man had a lot of experience in upper management. A degree that GM believed proved he had what it took to run a company.

Obama learned law.

Lawyers are not schooled in business as a rule. They school in plenty of law.

Even though Obama learned some of what it takes to be president, just as the GM president learned, it is no proof one fully understands the system used for Government.

I am not fooled by Obama's talent of reading from a video in front of him. Sure, he can read words scrolling by, but when they stop, he simply has no clue what to say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XuItt6iuMc

KC
02-27-2014, 11:17 PM

Mind you, the man had a lot of experience in upper management. A degree that GM believed proved he had what it took to run a company.

Obama learned law.

Even though Obama learned some of what it takes to be president, just as the GM president learned, it is no proof one fully understands the system used for Government.

I am not fooled by Obama's talent of reading from a video in front of him. Sure, he can read words scrolling by, but when they stop, he simply has no clue what to say.

You are speaking of governing as a skill, which I concede is a large part of it, but I am more concerned with intentions. During his first term, President Obama (as well as other Presidents) intended to serve special interests. This makes sense. They need to rely on votes and campaign contributions in order to be reelected. But during their second term, the incentive to serve special interests drops dramatically. So, do President intend to serve the general welfare during their second term, or do they as a rule serve the same interests as during their first term?

Common
02-27-2014, 11:19 PM
Why? What about him makes you think he'll be different?

Holder for one KC, these end runs to legalize, gay marriage, weed and amnesty is not going to be good, but they arent going to stop there, there will be more coming.

KC something doesnt have to pass to leave a bad taste in peoples mouths or to stand out so much that they dont forget it.

Just like every time Ted Cruz farts the far right swoons and the people that win elections get their stomach turned the moderates and independents. Same with the far left they are lovin this Obama Holder agenda, the independents and moderates will not. Disclaimer: That is my personal opinion

Common
02-27-2014, 11:21 PM

Obama learned law.

We dont need a CEO to run America

Bob
02-27-2014, 11:43 PM
We dont need a CEO to run America

We don't have one. We don't even have a president who knows what he is doing.

If he was the lawyer for the defense, the guy would go to jail.