PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Agency Warns of Urgent Need for Spending on Roads, Bridges.

Cigar
02-28-2014, 12:46 PM
More funding is needed to address a growing "infrastructure deficit" in the United States, as aging bridges, roads and highways crumble, putting drivers at risk, the U.S. Department of Transportation said in a report on Friday.

In the report to Congress, the agency said all levels of the U.S. government would need to spend between $123.7 billion and $145.9 billion per year to maintain and improve the condition of roads and bridges alone.

In 2010, the latest year for which figures are available, about $100 billion was spent, including almost $12 billion in funds provided by American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, the stimulus package crafted to pump money into the economy during the severe recession.

The preventative maintenance backlog for transit reached $86 billion and was expanding at about $2.5 billion per year, according to the report. The shortfall affects individual commuters as well freight movement around the country.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2014/02/28/us/28reuters-usa-transportation.html?hp

It's going to take a Bridge Collapse, with a Bus load of GOP Members and their families to get the point across to the Republicans. :wink:

Captain Obvious
02-28-2014, 12:48 PM
http://i.livescience.com/images/i/000/024/730/original/monkeys-mating.jpg?1330025186

Paperback Writer
02-28-2014, 12:50 PM
Perhaps if they were built correctly they would need less maintenance and not be deadly to those who drive upon them.

Craftsmanship and engineering withstands the tests of time.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4g5ov4BJUBj-igXwuCTZ3Ec97YxpAOIDB0iraUI40OWCu0XjV

Bob
02-28-2014, 12:51 PM
More funding is needed to address a growing "infrastructure deficit" in the United States, as aging bridges, roads and highways crumble, putting drivers at risk, the U.S. Department of Transportation said in a report on Friday.

In the report to Congress, the agency said all levels of the U.S. government would need to spend between $123.7 billion and $145.9 billion per year to maintain and improve the condition of roads and bridges alone.

In 2010, the latest year for which figures are available, about $100 billion was spent, including almost $12 billion in funds provided by American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, the stimulus package crafted to pump money into the economy during the severe recession.

The preventative maintenance backlog for transit reached $86 billion and was expanding at about $2.5 billion per year, according to the report. The shortfall affects individual commuters as well freight movement around the country.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2014/02/28/us/28reuters-usa-transportation.html?hp

It's going to take a Bridge Collapse, with a Bus load of GOP Members and their families to get the point across to the Republicans. :wink:

I will be damned, again. You mean to tell me that when Obama hooted how he is spending on infrastructure you mean he was BSing us all? Hell, I saw his huge painted signs at pot hole fixing jobs bragging he was fixing our roads.

And all this time he was just conning us?

How is it that most of the roads are inside states and not on federal lands, yet it seems it is only the Feds responsible for roads?

Don't states still do anything?

Captain Obvious
02-28-2014, 12:52 PM
Perhaps if they were built correctly they would need less maintenance and not be deadly to those who drive upon them.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4g5ov4BJUBj-igXwuCTZ3Ec97YxpAOIDB0iraUI40OWCu0XjV

You do realize what that is, don't you?

Paperback Writer
02-28-2014, 12:56 PM
You do realize what that is, don't you?

Yes, an aqueduct, hence the engineering comment.

darroll
02-28-2014, 02:23 PM
We have a bridge here that is about to fall down.
My comment is the only thing being done about it.
If it falls, they can blame Bush.

RNG
02-28-2014, 02:30 PM
Just another example of politicians always kicking the can down the road. The two year election cycle has a terrible consequence in that no government is willing to do the unpopular thing and spend the money to fix things which either increases deficits or necessitates tax increases but will not show positive results before the next election. And infrastructure spending isn't the only thing affected. Most current entitlement programs suffer the same malady.

Bob
02-28-2014, 02:31 PM
Bridges have a variety of owners

Many belong to cities
Many belong to counties
Many belong to states

A few belong to the Feds

Tell me again why it is up to the Feds to pay for that bridge????

Cigar
02-28-2014, 02:49 PM

I'll remember that when 20k lbs goes across aqueduct :rollseyes:

The Sage of Main Street
02-28-2014, 02:49 PM
Just another example of politicians always kicking the can down the road. The two year election cycle has a terrible consequence in that no government is willing to do the unpopular thing and spend the money to fix things which either increases deficits or necessitates tax increases but will not show positive results before the next election. And infrastructure spending isn't the only thing affected. Most current entitlement programs suffer the same malady.

The 1% have only 1% of the votes, so why are even the Demwits afraid to tax them? Could we be watching a puppet show with the sacred cow Constitution being the stage it is presented on?

Paperback Writer
02-28-2014, 02:52 PM
I'll remember that when 20k lbs goes across aqueduct :rollseyes:

Do you understand the weight of water and exactly how long these amazing creations have survived due to care of engineering and craftsmanship?

RNG
02-28-2014, 03:05 PM
The 1% have only 1% of the votes, so why are even the Demwits afraid to tax them? Could we be watching a puppet show with the sacred cow Constitution being the stage it is presented on?How much money is needed to win an election? Who has the money to donate? Whose butt gets kissed? (Not sure how prudish the mods are yet so I didn't use another analogy.) Citizen's United sucks.

RNG
02-28-2014, 03:08 PM
Do you understand the weight of water and exactly how long these amazing creations have survived due to care of engineering and craftsmanship?The choice of stone makes a big difference too. It even outlasts concrete. But look at the costs. Again, a trade-off. Of the bridges with problems I am aware of, the problems are rusting steel, concrete failures with or without reinforcement rusting, or gross overuse because of growth beyond expectations. Actual engineering faults are very few and far between.

Paperback Writer
02-28-2014, 03:15 PM
The choice of stone makes a big difference too. It even outlasts concrete. But look at the costs. Again, a trade-off. Of the bridges with problems I am aware of, the problems are rusting steel, concrete failures with or without reinforcement rusting, or gross overuse because of growth beyond expectations. Actual engineering faults are very few and far between.

Materials engineering is engineering.

Cigar
02-28-2014, 03:15 PM
Bridges have a variety of owners

Many belong to cities
Many belong to counties
Many belong to states

A few belong to the Feds

Tell me again why it is up to the Feds to pay for that bridge????

I don't know what corn field you're from, but Interstate Infrastructure in Illinois is used by Business and Individuals from all 50 states.

Does YOUR Good and Services ONLY use Infratructure tat belongs to you personally?

Where the fuck do you think the money comes from? :rollseyes:

I suppose you own your own Airspace :laugh:

Cigar
02-28-2014, 03:18 PM
Do you understand the weight of water and exactly how long these amazing creations have survived due to care of engineering and craftsmanship?

You do understand Interstate Truck Traffic and Road Surfaces don't you?

What planet are you from?

Paperback Writer
02-28-2014, 03:21 PM
You do understand Interstate Truck Traffic and Road Surfaces don't you?

Of course, I also understand low bid contracts, cronyism, and the regulatory issues that are written specifically to ensure the perpetuity of such.

RNG
02-28-2014, 03:23 PM
Materials engineering is engineering.And cost benefit is cost benefit.

Bob
02-28-2014, 03:24 PM
I don't know what corn field you're from, but Interstate Infrastructure in Illinois is used by Business and Individuals from all 50 states.

Does YOUR Good and Services ONLY use Infratructure tat belongs to you personally?

Where the fuck do you think the money comes from? :rollseyes:

I suppose you own your own Airspace :laugh:

Where a highway is designated to be owned, managed and operated by the Feds, then those bridges belong to the Feds. But unless we all do a lot of research, we might be fooled by assuming the bridge is the Feds when it is a state bridge. We have out of state visitors in my city too but my city owns roads and bridges.

I once constructed such bridges and roads for government. Most of the time the job inspectors were from the state. I can't recall seeing any Federal inspectors. I also worked on highways called Federal highways.

I am one that vouches for the public and not nearly as much for government.

When I participate in Government, it feels as if nobody cares to get a days work done. Arrogance is all over with those people.

Bob
02-28-2014, 03:26 PM
Dumb question of this thread.

Hell, he does not know. Maybe Venus?

LMAO

Paperback Writer
02-28-2014, 03:28 PM

LMAO

I'm from the country you choose to idolise in your avatar, one of refinement and gentility.

Common
02-28-2014, 04:03 PM
Weve been warned about this issue for many years, this crisis is along time in the making. Infrastructure has been neglected for decades.
The interesting thing about infrastructure it impacts everyone, rich poor worker employers. We all need it and use it.

Paperback Writer
02-28-2014, 04:07 PM
Weve been warned about this issue for many years, this crisis is along time in the making. Infrastructure has been neglected for decades.
The interesting thing about infrastructure it impacts everyone, rich poor worker employers. We all need it and use it.

Roads are a necessary aspect of cronyism, naturally you need to build and maintain more of them. How else will your pols get elected?

Polecat
02-28-2014, 04:30 PM
Eisenhower did a great thing when he initiated the interstate highway system. The original deal however was for the states and counties to take care of the upkeep with the revenue business corridors would and have generated. But you look around and see the locals pissing away more for artistic frescos and elaborate landscaping than they do on the freaking roads. Local politicians are all about building monuments to themselves on tax payer dime. Our infrastructure is in shambles due solely to local ass wipes. Bending over the whole nation to fix these things in urban areas where revenue was ample but misspent is not fair in the least to the poor bastards that have to drive 30 miles of dirt & gravel roads just to get to town. I am in total favor of closing ALL but two exchanges in every metropolis if they don't want to take care of the local wear and tear. FUCK THEM.

donttread
02-28-2014, 06:49 PM

Not a federal issue .How much did they spend studying it?

The Sage of Main Street
03-01-2014, 12:26 PM
How much money is needed to win an election? Who has the money to donate? Whose butt gets kissed? Citizen's United sucks.

I thought the SCROTUS's legalization of bribery was called Cretins Untied. I don't know why you oppose it; it gives us the best government money can buy.

The Sage of Main Street
03-01-2014, 12:32 PM

LMAO

The plutocrats are from Pluto. Time to send them back there.

Common
03-01-2014, 01:33 PM
Roads are a necessary aspect of cronyism, naturally you need to build and maintain more of them. How else will your pols get elected?

All of us need infrastructure and we all use it, from sidewalks to superhighways. Now if your saying the process of constructing and repairing the infrastructure that we need political cronyism comes into play then I agree, but your statement that roads are just necessary to cronyism is false. Well all NEED them

Paperback Writer
03-01-2014, 01:44 PM
All of us need infrastructure and we all use it, from sidewalks to superhighways. Now if your saying the process of constructing and repairing the infrastructure that we need political cronyism comes into play then I agree, but your statement that roads are just necessary to cronyism is false. Well all NEED them

One might say we needn't have bread or rice as to say we need not have roads. It was not my point to imply otherwise. I point out only the capacity for those in the States to obsess over road building contracts. Nothing more.

zelmo1234
03-01-2014, 03:36 PM
Well Cigar says that we need to spend at least 123 billion and we are only spending 100 billion.

Easy fix! Do away with prevailing wage and let the companies bid with the wages they pay every other day of the year,

This will reduce production costs and allow for more work to get done with the same amount of money!

Problem solved! Get the freaking government out of the way!

Bob
03-01-2014, 03:44 PM
How much money is needed to win an election? Who has the money to donate? Whose butt gets kissed? (Not sure how prudish the mods are yet so I didn't use another analogy.) Citizen's United sucks.

I guess you mean that Citizens United was a help to the Unions in the USA.

Ethereal
03-01-2014, 03:57 PM
You mean the government infrastructure is crumbling and needs billions of dollars to repair? I'm shocked, truly. I would have figured given the excellent quality and cost-effectiveness of other government projects like education and Obamacare, that their infrastructure would be similarly successful.

RNG
03-01-2014, 04:02 PM
I guess you mean that Citizens United was a help to the Unions in the USA.That's a part of the problem all right. I'm probably the most anti-union guy I know.

But I don't like it when any monied interests are controlling elections. Or I guess it would be more accurate to say strongly influencing.

Bob
03-01-2014, 04:03 PM
Eisenhower did a great thing when he initiated the interstate highway system. The original deal however was for the states and counties to take care of the upkeep with the revenue business corridors would and have generated. But you look around and see the locals pissing away more for artistic frescos and elaborate landscaping than they do on the freaking roads. Local politicians are all about building monuments to themselves on tax payer dime. Our infrastructure is in shambles due solely to local ass wipes. Bending over the whole nation to fix these things in urban areas where revenue was ample but misspent is not fair in the least to the poor bastards that have to drive 30 miles of dirt & gravel roads just to get to town. I am in total favor of closing ALL but two exchanges in every metropolis if they don't want to take care of the local wear and tear. FUCK THEM.

In California, (look this up) our dumb ass politicians decided to NOT fix the infrastructure, but rather start in the god forsaken area of CA AKA nowhere, and construct at enormous cost, a damned rail system that I suspect Democrats think we will forsake the much faster airplane, to ride on a faster than normal train.

So, why did the Democrats (believe this, CA is a lock for Democrats and republicans have no say in the state) back off on the bridges and roads and go straight to this boondoggle super train?

How many of you have tried to board a train that is going 200 miles per hour. We all accept as normal that airplanes take you a long distance between landings. The airline industry managed through a lot of public use to take off at San Francisco or other Bay Area airports, and carry passengers to LAX and do it cheaply.

Amtrak is not cheap to ride in California. It is very expensive. And the Super Train no doubt will be more expensive than Amtrak is. So, what nut basket would ride a super fast train when they can, for a lot less money, ride an airplane?

But CA is going into deep water by forcing we taxpayers into a system that we do not need.

If we had the old buggy or wagon trip to face, sure, the train is much better and faster. But this system that boggles the mind as to how expensive it is, proposes to take passengers away from the airplane. I remind the reader that the airplane you fly in is moving well over 500 miles per hour. Why ride a vehicle that is not half as fast? And for a lot more money at that.

Democrats in their hearts have no intentions of fixing infrastructure.

By this time, Obama has had 5 full years and I don't believe he has fixed any bridges nor, other than some potholes in his early years, actually added to our road infrastructure. Have you seen people fixing major roads with those (thank Obama, signs on them yet) I don't think any of you have.

Bob
03-01-2014, 04:07 PM
That's a part of the problem all right. I'm probably the most anti-union guy I know.

But I don't like it when any monied interests are controlling elections. Or I guess it would be more accurate to say strongly influencing.

Citizens united merely recognizes the way that corporations were already treated should also apply to other events, such as backing people for elected office. Unions are in decline in the US. Some think due to laws passed that Unions used to enforce. The more the Feds give to the public, the less they need from unions.

Democrats have told so many lies about Citizens United that most really do not know what that law actually was about.

Bob
03-01-2014, 04:10 PM
Sadly, the USA system demands that money runs elections.

Mainecoons
03-01-2014, 05:27 PM
Government always has an "urgent need" to spend your money. In this case, they're happy to use Davis Bacon to pay off their union buddies while doing so.

Peter1469
03-01-2014, 10:43 PM

Been there! And another similar one. :smiley:

The Sage of Main Street
03-02-2014, 01:36 PM
I will be damned, again. You mean to tell me that when Obama hooted how he is spending on infrastructure you mean he was BSing us all? Hell, I saw his huge painted signs at pot hole fixing jobs bragging he was fixing our roads.

And all this time he was just conning us?

How is it that most of the roads are inside states and not on federal lands, yet it seems it is only the Feds responsible for roads?

Don't states still do anything?

The states' legislatures are owned by the states' 1%, who feel no obligation to the other 99%. Why do you think Libretardians want to give the legislatures our franchise to vote for US Senators?

The Sage of Main Street
03-02-2014, 01:40 PM
Well Cigar says that we need to spend at least 123 billion and we are only spending 100 billion.

Easy fix! Do away with prevailing wage and let the companies bid with the wages they pay every other day of the year,

This will reduce production costs and allow for more work to get done with the same amount of money!

Problem solved! Get the freaking government out of the way!

How about getting rid of prevailing profit margins instead? Why punish the people who actually do the work when we can humiliate the Sissies in Suitcoats?

donttread
03-02-2014, 03:49 PM
It's another attempt, another make work project, whereby they hide the fact that there simply aren't enough good jobs to go around, for just a little longer

patrickt
03-02-2014, 03:55 PM
I remember when Obamacare was so urgent we couldn't wait for the legislators to read the bill before they voted for it. I remember more recently amnesty for illegal aliens in the country--and waiting to come--was so urgent we have to pass it right now. Now, it's the aging infrastructure which is urgent. Of course, the cost won't come from any feel-good, squishy program.

I think I've got "urgency burnout."

Kalkin
03-02-2014, 03:58 PM
I'm from the country you choose to idolise in your avatar, one of refinement and gentility.
And bad teeth.