PDA

View Full Version : Where exactly is our supposed "economic growth" occuring?

donttread
03-01-2014, 09:35 AM
I keep hearing about economic growth and even the decline of allegded economic growth. But there ain't no economic growth in my back yard, quite the opposite.
So I figure we have a lot of people from all over the country on the board and if this "economic growth" is real then at least a few of you must be experiencing in your home town. I'd like to know where this growth is occurring even if it is slowing

Ransom
03-01-2014, 09:43 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/13/magazine/washingtons-economic-boom-financed-by-you.html?pagewanted=all

Peter1469
03-01-2014, 09:56 AM
The growth spouted by the government is false. After the crises of 2007-09, the government used tax payer dollars to prop up failed institutions and businesses. They have not fixed the fundamental problems that caused them to fail in the first place. We are essentially kicking the can down the road and when the bubbles burst again, they will be much bigger. And the Fed has already shot its wad, so to speak. Can't lower the interest rates more; the effect of printed money has lost its impact...., end game.

donttread
03-01-2014, 10:00 AM
The growth spouted by the government is false. After the crises of 2007-09, the government used tax payer dollars to prop up failed institutions and businesses. They have not fixed the fundamental problems that caused them to fail in the first place. We are essentially kicking the can down the road and when the bubbles burst again, they will be much bigger. And the Fed has already shot its wad, so to speak. Can't lower the interest rates more; the effect of printed money has lost its impact...., end game.

Makes sense and of course Wall Street is flourishing based upon this fake economic growth.

Peter1469
03-01-2014, 10:07 AM
Makes sense and of course Wall Street is flourishing based upon this fake economic growth.

Wall Street is up because the Fed is pumping printed money into it.

Mainecoons
03-01-2014, 10:21 AM
Making the rich richer at an accelerated pace is practically the only "success" of the ObombedIt administration.

donttread
03-01-2014, 10:34 AM
Making the rich richer at an accelerated pace is practically the only "success" of the ObombedIt administration.

How do his minions not see this?

Chris
03-01-2014, 10:41 AM
How do his minions not see this?

They're in denial. They're still complaining about Bush gutting the middle and lower classes to enrich the rich, and just don't see Obama doing more of the same.

One thing to add to this discussion and that economics is geographical. Texas is on an upswing while California is in a downswing, thus you see a lot of immigration from CA to TX. Around here, San Antonio, I see renewed building of businesses all over, which should mean more jobs, but little of housing.

Common
03-01-2014, 01:55 PM
I dont know but I can tell you the S&P broke a record yesterday

Chris
03-01-2014, 02:30 PM
Another aspect of this, which will help account for Dems not seeing it, is if the economy is doing lousy come election, the Dems will suffer. Vice versa of course.

zelmo1234
03-01-2014, 03:26 PM
There are areas of growth, N Dakota is booming WI, IN, MI, OH, are all starting to recover under conservative control! TX is growing and the pace of progress in TX is picking up! of course the DC area is booming with all of the expansion of government!

But as a general rule our economy is actually shrinking, because GDP is not keeping up with inflation! And this makes sense, what liberals will never understand it that 100% of all taxes come out of the economy! If the money is take from the economy it effects growth

Mini Me
03-01-2014, 05:42 PM
They're in denial. They're still complaining about Bush gutting the middle and lower classes to enrich the rich, and just don't see Obama doing more of the same.

One thing to add to this discussion and that economics is geographical. Texas is on an upswing while California is in a downswing, thus you see a lot of immigration from CA to TX. Around here, San Antonio, I see renewed building of businesses all over, which should mean more jobs, but little of housing.

Wow! I grew up in San Antonio back in the 50's. It was 85% Beaner back then, like it is now. The army and air force bases supported a lot of it then. Mexicans lived in shacks, or even outdoors in old airplane crates, no electricity, no water, no nothing! There were many Barrio housing projects back then. The rich whites all had Negro servants, and the city was totally segregated back then. You took your life into your hands if you went downtown, and the gangs would come after us, and try to cut us up into pieces with their Stiletto switchblades!

I often wonder how much its changed since then. It was a very clean city then, and had a lot of big trees.

Then, Ozzie went and pissed on the Alamo!

donttread
03-01-2014, 09:56 PM
North Dakota I have heard of. Fracking , right?

Common
03-02-2014, 06:47 AM
I read just yesterday that the economy is growing and that it has false slowing because of the severe winter weather.

Common
03-02-2014, 06:52 AM
There are areas of growth, N Dakota is booming WI, IN, MI, OH, are all starting to recover under conservative control! TX is growing and the pace of progress in TX is picking up! of course the DC area is booming with all of the expansion of government!

But as a general rule our economy is actually shrinking, because GDP is not keeping up with inflation! And this makes sense, what liberals will never understand it that 100% of all taxes come out of the economy! If the money is take from the economy it effects growth

I have a long time online friend in North Dakota, im going to make this quick, NorthDakata is doing great, people are happy in North Dakota for the most part and thats because you can work and make 9.00 bucks an hour and live better than you could in NYC on 30-40 bucks an hour.
My friend has a 3 bedroom apt in a great area with all utilities included except Electric and phone for 425.00, heat is your most expensive utitlity in ND its included, He works for 3m makes 11.50 an hour and is doing swell. That does not represent most of the country.

zelmo1234
03-02-2014, 06:57 AM
I have a long time online friend in North Dakota, im going to make this quick, NorthDakata is doing great, people are happy in North Dakota for the most part and thats because you can work and make 9.00 bucks an hour and live better than you could in NYC on 30-40 bucks an hour.
My friend has a 3 bedroom apt in a great area with all utilities included except Electric and phone for 425.00, heat is your most expensive utitlity in ND its included, He works for 3m makes 11.50 an hour and is doing swell. That does not represent most of the country.

You are right, it does not represent most of the country, BUT IT SHOULD! It is what happens when you get government the hell out of the way!

Max Rockatansky
03-02-2014, 06:59 AM
I keep hearing about economic growth and even the decline of allegded economic growth. But there ain't no economic growth in my back yard, quite the opposite.
So I figure we have a lot of people from all over the country on the board and if this "economic growth" is real then at least a few of you must be experiencing in your home town. I'd like to know where this growth is occurring even if it is slowing

I'm seeing a lot of construction going on in the Dallas-Fort Worth area for that past few years. Mostly infrastructure but also new stores and shops.

While the job market sucks, the stock market is doing great and so is my portfolio.

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/HwWXioLIpq1wNjE8kzu1Gw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTcyNw--/http://globalfinance.zenfs.com/en_us/News/Reuters/Past-and-Present-SP-500-Valuations.jpg

zelmo1234
03-02-2014, 07:12 AM
The stock market is a bubble because the feds were buying 85 billion is securities per month and now have cut way back to 75 billion!

That would be like you setting up a restaurant that nobody knew how to get to, but calling it a huge success because one of your backers was giving you a million dollars a month to keep it open!

Max Rockatansky
03-02-2014, 07:47 AM
The stock market is a bubble because the feds were buying 85 billion is securities per month and now have cut way back to 75 billion!

That would be like you setting up a restaurant that nobody knew how to get to, but calling it a huge success because one of your backers was giving you a million dollars a month to keep it open!The stock market is always a "bubble" in one respect but company stocks are producing profits. Yes, like it always has, the stock market will plateau, sink, bottom out then begin rising again.

zelmo1234
03-02-2014, 08:13 AM
The stock market is always a "bubble" in one respect but company stocks are producing profits. Yes, like it always has, the stock market will plateau, sink, bottom out then begin rising again.

We could actually use a good correction. if not it is going to keep bouncing back and forth between 16 and 17

Reducing gains!

Ransom
03-02-2014, 08:29 AM
I read just yesterday that the economy is growing and that it has false slowing because of the severe winter weather.

Would Obamacare or regulation overdrive be included in that severe weather environment........Magoo?

donttread
03-02-2014, 09:11 AM
I'm seeing a lot of construction going on in the Dallas-Fort Worth area for that past few years. Mostly infrastructure but also new stores and shops.

While the job market sucks, the stock market is doing great and so is my portfolio.

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/HwWXioLIpq1wNjE8kzu1Gw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTcyNw--/http://globalfinance.zenfs.com/en_us/News/Reuters/Past-and-Present-SP-500-Valuations.jpg

There is no doubt that the economy of the 1% is growing, it has been for 30 years

Chris
03-02-2014, 10:44 AM
Wow! I grew up in San Antonio back in the 50's. It was 85% Beaner back then, like it is now. The army and air force bases supported a lot of it then. Mexicans lived in shacks, or even outdoors in old airplane crates, no electricity, no water, no nothing! There were many Barrio housing projects back then. The rich whites all had Negro servants, and the city was totally segregated back then. You took your life into your hands if you went downtown, and the gangs would come after us, and try to cut us up into pieces with their Stiletto switchblades!

I often wonder how much its changed since then. It was a very clean city then, and had a lot of big trees.

Then, Ozzie went and pissed on the Alamo!

I see whites living under bridges and in storm drains.

Chris
03-02-2014, 10:45 AM

Yea, Obama has put a chill on recovery. The economy is growing but ever so slowly. I've heard the slowest recovery we've ever experienced.