PDA

View Full Version : Liberal policy makes Mummies!

Cthulhu
03-06-2014, 12:39 PM
Police say a body found inside a vehicle at a foreclosed home in metro Detroit might have been there for several years.

The mummified body of a woman in her 40s was discovered in the back seat of a Jeep Liberty, parked in the attached garage of a home in the 1600 block of Savanna, near Walton Boulevard and Silver Lake Road in Pontiac, according to police.

A contractor made the discovery just after 6 p.m. Wednesday while working at the home, which is going through foreclosure.

Police said the license plate on the woman’s vehicle expired in 2008, which could very well be the last time she was seen alive.

From here (http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/03/06/apparent-mummified-body-found-in-foreclosed-home/).

At least the economic decay from progressive policies preserves bodies eh? If they keep this up we'll have Revenants walking about trying to live their once mortal lives again.

Green Arrow
03-06-2014, 02:14 PM
This kind of thing makes me sad.

midcan5
03-06-2014, 02:20 PM
From here (http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/03/06/apparent-mummified-body-found-in-foreclosed-home/).

At least the economic decay from progressive policies preserves bodies eh? If they keep this up we'll have Revenants walking about trying to live their once mortal lives again.

While out today I took note of cars made in America or even American brand cars. What make of car do you drive and where was it made? Our Buicks which are both made here, one in Michigan are great cars. So it got me thinking about the rather stupid right wing criticism of Detroit, how can Detroit compete with foreign companies that support each other and even build a few cars in America so the buffoons can have a clear conscience as they support Japan, Germany, or Korea. I guess though maybe the anti-American buyers are really German, Japanese or Korean? Those country have great healthcare, Germany strong unions, and taking care and considering your native country is a good thing I guess. So anyway unless you support America with your purchases of made here I think maybe you are just part of the problem and maybe too stupid to realize that. You should be writing about yourself, don't you think

"Thanks to the rules, many of which are written by corporations, a company can pull up stakes and use cheap foreign labor to make the same product it once did in America. It no longer has to meet environmental standards. It no longer has to abide by U.S. labor laws. It no longer has to pay a decent wage. Then the company can ship the product back to the United States where, courtesy of the rules, it will pay little if any duty. How can American workers hope to compete against that? They can't.

Lisa Gentner worked at a company called Carrollton Specialty Products, housed in a one-story warehouse in Moberly, Missouri, a town of 15,000 in central Missouri. Carrollton was a subcontractor for Hallmark Cards, the global greeting card giant based 125 miles west in Kansas City, Missouri. The largely female workforce of 200 provided the hand assembly for a variety of Hallmark products. They tied bows and affixed them to valentines and anniversary greetings. They glued buttons, rhinestones, and pop-ups inside birthday cards. They made gift baskets.

As in many towns across the country, the plant was an economic anchor for Moberly. Manufacturing is often pictured as a big-city enterprise, but a substantial number of plants are the lifeblood of small to medium-sized cities...."

Quote from p24 'Assault on the Middle Class' in 'The Betrayal of the American Dream' authors, Barlett and Steele.

Buy American = "Because Ford, GM and Chrysler conduct far more of their research, design, engineering, manufacturing and assembly work in the U.S. than foreign automakers do, buying a Ford, GM, or Chrysler supports almost three times as many jobs as buying the average foreign automobile. Some comparisons are even more striking. Buying a Ford supports 3.5 times more jobs than buying a Hyundai. Comparing a Honda and a Hyundai? Buying a Honda supports more than 2 times more jobs." http://www.levelfieldinstitute.org/jpc_rating.html

I was riding home today after a middle distance bicycle ride, tired and a bit out of shape when I started counting cars, America - foreign, American - foreign. It occurred to me if only a small percentage of these people, the people who can afford more than a used clunker, bought American there would be no problems in one of our largest industries today. And lots of people would have a job and lots of businesses would be OK. May even help those incompetent bankers.

So I started giving thumbs up for American and thumbs down for foreign. Hard to distinguish which foreign car is made here, but no need I am a bit of a hard core American when it comes to cars. My '55' Chevy was my first love.

I'm sure the people thought me spastic, as my left hand thumb pointed up, then down, then up as cars drove by. Did anyone figure it out I wondered. Who is this nut! So if the whiners who lost the election can out of the blue, protest taxes, can we not protest something that has been going on for years due to cheaper prices, support structures, and no pensions, but still is having an insidious affect on our industrial base?

So if you own foreign go to you nearest mirror and give yourself a thumbs down, and if you own American and thus support all of us and America, a thumbs up is due and thank you. Take to the streets and express yourself. The bankers thank you too.

Oh, and my bicycle is made in America too.

Cthulhu
03-06-2014, 02:56 PM
Midcan5, I buy what I can afford. Even then the wife buys most of it. And she is ruthlessly frugal. Progressive policies ruined Detroit - it is what it is. Where I shop has precious little to do with it.

Tariffs can fix the problem with foreign cars to make domestically made products competitive with imports, but our leaders have no balls to protect domestic markets.

Hound your local and national politicians for this mess. Doesn't change the fact that Detroit has been destroyed by progressive policies though.

RNG
03-06-2014, 03:18 PM
Tariffs only work if you are in a position to be both supplier and market for most of your industry. You put up tariffs and your trading partners put up retaliatory tariffs and the system quits working.

This is a very complex matter. I have tried to find a consensus on the effect of NAFTA on Mexico, Canada and the USA. Most studies I have seen does say it has helped Mexico but (and I was surprised) has somewhat hurt Mexican farmers. More studies than not claim it has helped the USA and Canada but there definitely are some that say otherwise. Unfortunately, economics is not a hard science and the politics of the author(s) of these studies can often be seen.

RNG
03-06-2014, 03:38 PM
But back on topic, is it liberal policies or is this the outcome of a combination of a severe economic blow and incompetent and corrupt leaders?

(My personal bias is that liberal policies did contribute, but estimating the contribution of each segment is difficult. And a big part definitely is that it is always dangerous to give things to people because when conditions change, and they always do, "ungiving" is politically impossible.)

GrassrootsConservative
03-06-2014, 03:41 PM
It's 100% Liberal policies. We see the same shit in California and New York, remember the story of that old woman who died in the waiting room of a New York hospital because people in New York just straight up don't give a shit?

To question in the first place whether this is the work of Liberal policies is silly. The majority of the problems in America right now did stem directly from Liberalism.

Cthulhu
03-06-2014, 03:41 PM
Tariffs only work if you are in a position to be both supplier and market for most of your industry. You put up tariffs and your trading partners put up retaliatory tariffs and the system quits working.

While true, it can lead to tariff wars. It would be foolish to do so with the USA. We are entirely self sufficient if we simply want to be. We could easily be isolationist and be quite well off.

If we simply stuck to our guns on the issue, the seller's of the goods would have to change in order to remain competitive.

Cthulhu
03-06-2014, 03:43 PM
But back on topic, is it liberal policies or is this the outcome of a combination of a severe economic blow and incompetent and corrupt leaders?

(My personal bias is that liberal policies did contribute, but estimating the contribution of each segment is difficult. And a big part definitely is that it is always dangerous to give things to people because when conditions change, and they always do, "ungiving" is politically impossible.)

All the above. But if I had to pin it on any one party it would be the corrupt leaders - they get the policy passed and such.

Blackrook
03-06-2014, 05:35 PM
We get the government we deserve, and so do the people of Detroit.

The Sage of Main Street
03-06-2014, 05:43 PM

What party started the Civil War in order to use the freedmen for cheap labor up North? What percentile integrated the workplace in order to break up union solidarity? What Heirhead pig got Liberal cred for integrating his Grandpa's auto company?

Cthulhu
03-06-2014, 07:09 PM
What party started the Civil War in order to use the freedmen for cheap labor up North? What percentile integrated the workplace in order to break up union solidarity? What Heirhead pig got Liberal cred for integrating his Grandpa's auto company?

These are not the droids you're looking for.

*waves hand*

Chris
03-06-2014, 07:18 PM

It's the lethargic stupor progressive cradle to grave policies put people into that's more worrisome. It's hard to imagine a dead woman in a car i a car attached to a hourse with no activity for 6 years and no one even noticed. Even for an abandoned Detroit that's bad.

Blackrook
03-06-2014, 08:02 PM
The woman's fate of a death unnoticed symbolizes the entire city of Detroit, which is dying and no one cares. Ambitious people are abandoning the northeast portion of our nation, which is hostile to business, and fleeing to sunnier and more business-friendly states in the south and west. It won't be long before the entire northeast looks like something out of the Twilight Zone episode, where a man staggers about looking for other people, and realizing he's all alone.

Chris
03-06-2014, 08:04 PM
The woman's fate of a death unnoticed symbolizes the entire city of Detroit, which is dying and no one cares. Ambitious people are abandoning the northeast portion of our nation, which is hostile to business, and fleeing to sunnier and more business-friendly states in the south and west. It won't be long before the entire northeast looks like something out of the Twilight Zone episode, where a man staggers about looking for other people, and realizing he's all alone.

Yea, historically, that's been happening since the end of WWII, the movement of businesses and industries south.