PDA

View Full Version : GMOs: Ban or enforce labeling?

Peter1469
03-07-2014, 08:09 PM
GMOs: Ban or enforce labeling? (http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_29448.cfm)

Or many selective bans (so organic farmers don't get contaminated) with strict labeling. I vote yes to both.

Some campaigners have called for an outright ban of GE crops. In fact, several dozen nations, thousands of local governments in the EU, and six counties in the U.S. (in California, Washington and Hawaii) have created GMO-free zones by passing bans.

Other activists argue that strict mandatory labeling laws, similar to those in the EU, are all we need in order to rid the world of GMOs (Genetically Modified Organisms). Activists in this camp point out that very few products in countries that have mandatory GMO labeling laws contain GMOs, because once companies are required to label GMO ingredients, they reformulate their products to be GMO-free, rather than risk rejection by consumers.

donttread
03-07-2014, 09:54 PM
GMOs: Ban or enforce labeling? (http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_29448.cfm)

Or many selective bans (so organic farmers don't get contaminated) with strict labeling. I vote yes to both.

What about strict labeling with a progressive ban over say five years. Although I could argue it should be a states rights issue to a degree

Dr. Who
03-08-2014, 12:06 AM

GMO has become an anathema. No one knows the long term effects on human health and furthermore the crops contaminate domestic crops. It is suspected that this is killing the honey bee, which is essential to crop pollination. I don't like the idea of banning, but in this case, I think we need to ban GMO or risk decimation of domestic plant life and the supporting insect and animal life on the planet. I say this because domestic grasses such as wheat, barley and others have wild indigenous versions. The idea that GMO genetics begin to contaminate even non crop plants is worrisome because it can have a cascade effect on the flora and fauna of the planet. Like the butterfly effect.

Peter1469
03-08-2014, 10:06 AM
What about strict labeling with a progressive ban over say five years. Although I could argue it should be a states rights issue to a degree

Yes, in the US is it handled at the state level. If a few big states mandate labeling, I suspect food companies will stop using GMOs because of the pain associated with different labels for different states; and most thinkers won't buy the GMO stuff.

Peter1469
03-08-2014, 10:07 AM
The long term safety tests are us.

GMO has become an anathema. No one knows the long term effects on human health and furthermore the crops contaminate domestic crops. It is suspected that this is killing the honey bee, which is essential to crop pollination. I don't like the idea of banning, but in this case, I think we need to ban GMO or risk decimation of domestic plant life and the supporting insect and animal life on the planet. I say this because domestic grasses such as wheat, barley and others have wild indigenous versions. The idea that GMO genetics begin to contaminate even non crop plants is worrisome because it can have a cascade effect on the flora and fauna of the planet. Like the butterfly effect.

Blackrook
03-08-2014, 02:42 PM
Is there a legitimate reason to oppose GM crops, or is it just Luddite hysteria at work here?

Peter1469
03-08-2014, 02:52 PM
Is there a legitimate reason to oppose GM crops, or is it just Luddite hysteria at work here?

Well let's suppose you are correct. Why not label products and let consumers decide? :smiley:

In the mean time show us the long term independent studies that showed GMOs, in their various forms are safe. :wink:

Reverend_Hellh0und
03-10-2014, 11:02 AM
GMO's should be labeled.

if you want to eat poison that's your right. I have a right to know if you are trying to sell it to me.

Peter1469
03-10-2014, 11:05 AM
GMO's should be labeled.

if you want to eat poison that's your right. I have a right to know if you are trying to sell it to me.

That is the way I feel about it.

Welcome to the forum.

Reverend_Hellh0und
03-10-2014, 11:07 AM
That is the way I feel about it.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks Peter!

Polecat
03-10-2014, 11:14 AM
If a connection can be shown between certain GMO crops and honey bee decimation then it should be banned immediately and the producers of these products should have to surrender every cent they have made from sales to re establish the bee population. This is the only critical concern I feel is valid with these products.

Peter1469
03-10-2014, 11:30 AM
If a connection can be shown between certain GMO crops and honey bee decimation then it should be banned immediately and the producers of these products should have to surrender every cent they have made from sales to re establish the bee population. This is the only critical concern I feel is valid with these products.

What independent long term studies show that GMOs are safe? Until then, why not label the products?

Rather than GMOs, directly, it is the pesticides and particularly the neonicotinoid pesticides (http://ecowatch.com/2013/10/10/pesticides-to-blame-for-massive-bee-deaths/) that are harming the bees.

MrJimmyDale
03-10-2014, 11:32 AM
GMO's should be labeled. if you want to eat poison that's your right. I have a right to know if you are trying to sell it to me. Exactly.........

Polecat
03-10-2014, 11:59 AM
I can get behind full disclosure on labeling. Not so sure nicotine compounds are an issue unless they are being produced at an extremely high level. Bees have been pollinating crops that have a natural nicotine presence. Nicotine is targeting aphids and other sucking insects. The Bt though I would think carries way more risk for bees.

Dr. Who
03-10-2014, 09:57 PM
GMO's should be labeled.

Welcome to the tPF..

Newpublius
03-10-2014, 10:16 PM
What independent long term studies show that GMOs are safe? Until then, why not label the products?

They're out there of course, but really the impact of GMO is no different than other plants treated with pesticides. Make no mistake about it, without pesticides, we starve. GMO itself is nothing different than what we've been doing with domesticated crops and animals since the beginning of time, ie. unnaturally selecting for desired traits.

For instance, when I was in Belize visiting the Mayan ruins there, the Mayans were a corn culture and the initial corn cobs were really quite small. The corn is not designed to feed humans, but to propagate corn.

GMO corn does various things, like make the crop resistant to frost or to drought conditions, but the majority is a gene which makes the crop resistant to the use of a pesticide and that pesticide is called 'Round Up' the other type makes the crop express bttoxin.

And you're right, none of this shit is 'good' for you. The 'organically' grown are still using pesticides. Just different ones.

Its the pesticides, not the genes, we can digest any gene without any genuine consequence.

For me, labelling is just a question of consumer desire for more information. I mean, look at champagne which is a term which can only be used to champagne produced in the Champagne region of France. Doesn't really impact consumer safety, but consumers look at that as an indication of origin which consumers think is important.

If enough people want to know, I say let them know....(in accordance with making the market more akin to perfect competition, ie closer to 'perfect' information)

Newpublius
03-10-2014, 10:18 PM
GMO's should be labeled.

Fancy bumping into you here.

Peter1469
03-10-2014, 10:26 PM
I would say you white washed GMO. But let's forget that. All that I ask for is labeling them. What is the harm is that?

They're out there of course, but really the impact of GMO is no different than other plants treated with pesticides. Make no mistake about it, without pesticides, we starve. GMO itself is nothing different than what we've been doing with domesticated crops and animals since the beginning of time, ie. unnaturally selecting for desired traits.

For instance, when I was in Belize visiting the Mayan ruins there, the Mayans were a corn culture and the initial corn cobs were really quite small. The corn is not designed to feed humans, but to propagate corn.

GMO corn does various things, like make the crop resistant to frost or to drought conditions, but the majority is a gene which makes the crop resistant to the use of a pesticide and that pesticide is called 'Round Up' the other type makes the crop express bttoxin.

And you're right, none of this shit is 'good' for you. The 'organically' grown are still using pesticides. Just different ones.

Its the pesticides, not the genes, we can digest any gene without any genuine consequence.

For me, labelling is just a question of consumer desire for more information. I mean, look at champagne which is a term which can only be used to champagne produced in the Champagne region of France. Doesn't really impact consumer safety, but consumers look at that as an indication of origin which consumers think is important.

If enough people want to know, I say let them know....(in accordance with making the market more akin to perfect competition, ie closer to 'perfect' information)

The Xl
03-10-2014, 10:39 PM
It should be labeled, otherwise it's fraud. It's not real food and we don't know the long term health effects.

Peter1469
03-10-2014, 10:41 PM
It certainly is a big science experiment.

Codename Section
03-10-2014, 10:42 PM
I think GMOs violate the NAP.

The Xl
03-10-2014, 10:43 PM

I don't know if it's that simple, but I think passing your GMO food as real food violates it, for sure.

Guerilla
03-11-2014, 03:57 AM

Me too. If their GMO pollen pollinates my good plants and I get some shitty seed, I see that as violation of NAP, because you damaged my crop. Compensation or I'm burning your fields. :azn:

Peter1469
03-11-2014, 07:09 AM
Me too. If their GMO pollen pollinates my good plants and I get some shitty seed, I see that as violation of NAP, because you damaged my crop. Compensation or I'm burning your fields. :azn:

And that is a problem. You can't have certified organic crops if they get tainted by a nearby GMO crop.

Captain Obvious
03-11-2014, 09:44 AM
How is not informing the consumer a good idea?

Reverend_Hellh0und
03-11-2014, 09:51 AM
Fancy bumping into you here.

moving around, the old place is pretty much dead. How have you been? Haven't seen you in a while.

Newpublius
03-11-2014, 10:25 AM
moving around, the old place is pretty much dead. How have you been? Haven't seen you in a while.

Well then we should hook up for lunch again. Grasshopper this time?

My kids officially turned three Monday. We had a party for them up at Kidnetics in Montville. Funny thing: somebody crashed the party. Woman with an 8 or 9 year old girl and honestly I didn't make anything of it. No big deal, I figured maybe she was at the wrong party? (Sometimes going to daycare/school, you're not sure who the parents are?) -- but she was really too old, though she wasn't a bully or disruptive to the younger kids playing. The funny thing though is that at the end of the party when my wife was handing out party favors with kids names on it (Mickey Mouse themed for the boys, Minnie Mouse themed for the girls), this girl came up and in an 'annoyed' voice said, "I didn't get one"

To which my wife felt like saying, "Because you weren't invited"

But since my little G got presents and wouldn't miss it, my wife handed her G's....

Isn't that bizarre.

I've been going to meetups for NJ startups and entrepreneurs, there's Madison Tech and then I'm also going to another down at the 'Juice Tank' in Somerset....its fun actually.

Reverend_Hellh0und
03-11-2014, 10:32 AM
Well then we should hook up for lunch again. Grasshopper this time?

My kids officially turned three Monday. We had a party for them up at Kidnetics in Montville. Funny thing: somebody crashed the party. Woman with an 8 or 9 year old girl and honestly I didn't make anything of it. No big deal, I figured maybe she was at the wrong party? (Sometimes going to daycare/school, you're not sure who the parents are?) -- but she was really too old, though she wasn't a bully or disruptive to the younger kids playing. The funny thing though is that at the end of the party when my wife was handing out party favors with kids names on it (Mickey Mouse themed for the boys, Minnie Mouse themed for the girls), this girl came up and in an 'annoyed' voice said, "I didn't get one"

To which my wife felt like saying, "Because you weren't invited"

But since my little G got presents and wouldn't miss it, my wife handed her G's....

Isn't that bizarre.

I've been going to meetups for NJ startups and entrepreneurs, there's Madison Tech and then I'm also going to another down at the 'Juice Tank' in Somerset....its fun actually.

wow, that's really strange. Kid's going to grow up to crash presidential parties. lol

Been swamped at worked, now with 2 kids it seems like I never get to take a rest. Told my wife we needed an au pare..... She wasn't as keen on it as I was., lol

I actually had an interesting idea regarding a social service like a stub hub for something else. We should get together to discuss. a lot of details to work out but if I could get this to launch, could be rather lucrative.

Newpublius
03-11-2014, 11:03 AM
wow, that's really strange. Kid's going to grow up to crash presidential parties. lol

I know, crazy, right!

Been swamped at worked, now with 2 kids it seems like I never get to take a rest. Told my wife we needed an au pare..... She wasn't as keen on it as I was., lol

Well let her pick out an ugly one then. Initially my wife and I did daycare, but my wife felt she needed more help, she was got the first one and she worked out really well. The kids were still getting sick at daycare, and then they were getting everybody sick at home, plus they were premature, so actually a little over 2 years ago I got a second nanny and pulled them out of daycare (I'd do third shift daddy duty at night). The Colombian nanny then left last year and we didn't replace her, keeping the English nanny and putting the kids back into daycare. I'm very much pro-school, want them to be exposed to the germs actually, to develop an immunity and to get the social interaction which I think is important.

Now the kids are three, the 'lottery' is tomorrow for the local pre-school and they might start going to the actual public school come Fall (long story on why there's a lottery). So the English nanny is leaving (J1 visa is a two year visa) on March 15th, this week. And I'm ready at this point to have my house to myself. I'm even selling a car to get back to two cars.

I know what your wife is thinking though. The Colombian didn't seem altogether too attractive online or on skype (they know to downplay their looks), and when she was here she was always dressed modestly and not an obvious looker, but when we were down in Islamorada (Florida Keys there is a place to swim with the dolphins), and she changed into a bikini I almost dropped dead.

I actually had an interesting idea regarding a social service like a stub hub for something else. We should get together to discuss. a lot of details to work out but if I could get this to launch, could be rather lucrative.

Yes, we should if its good, its good, if its not, its not, don't be scared about telling people your idea, honestly its really in the execution. If somebody can take your idea, copy it and make money.....so be it....remember, google/facebook weren't there before yahoo/myspace....ultimately its about execution.

My idea is large and not partiularly focused, but I finally did focus it down to something that I can actually go to market with relatively soon rather than get lost in the myriad of details and hope that 'customer funding' will fund the development of the larger ideas. My idea is a blogging service that machine translates posts automatically and actually creates physical pages rather than translting 'on the fly' and that have that be a segue into other services (photographs/advertising etc)

You've probably used google once or twice by now and you'll note how the results are usually in English. And that makes sense, you speak English. Well, the rest of the world doesn't necessariy speak English and Francois in Paris is probably typing French into whatever search engine he is using. So while websites can be translated 'on the fly' more often than not the physical page doesn't exist and Francois will never find you unless he knows to search in English for topics he knows the Anglophone world will be interested in.

I did this for my NYC photo blog, manually translated (very tedious) but wound up getting search results from all over the world, Brazil, Korea, Iran, Iraq, Germany....Russia, you name it.....and the search queries were coming in in foreign language terms.

Right now there are people in Slovenia who can't afford to buy a Turkish translation for whatever they want to say.

This works at the press of ONE BUTTON, you select the languages, those pages appear instantaneously. It took me two months to get that to work properly, but I got it to work.....of course I want people to sign up and pay me a monthly fee for the service.....I call it 'babelblogs.com' and I also took babelblogz.com but I did the social media pages, the home page, I still have some work to put into it of course, but the tough part, the unique part which I had to make myself, that now exists. So now I have to start adding parts that I know exist elsewhere, ie a signup module, etc.....