PDA

View Full Version : Da Mormonz

Codename Section
03-11-2014, 11:24 AM
Cthulhu

Marriage questions

So you get a ton of celestial wives, right?

How is this not swinging?
If polygamy is what you get in the afterlife why not this one?
Also, what if your wives don't jive with that, do you not get them?

Planet questions

How come you don't get your own planet?

IF

If you could bring one person over to the Mormon faith, who would it be?

Reverend_Hellh0und
03-11-2014, 11:29 AM
More than one wife sounds like a punishment.

Cthulhu
03-11-2014, 11:45 AM
@Cthulhu (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=872)

Marriage questions

So you get a ton of celestial wives, right?

Only as many as would have you. That whole free will thing still applies in heaven. There will be marriages in the hereafter.

How is this not swinging?

Having gone 'swinging' in the past I can tell you from personal experience that it is entirely different. I'll not go into the details.

Swinging is where you are having sex with another person you are not married to - either fornication or adultery. It is that simple.

In polygamy, one male is married to multiple females. They are all bound together. This does note condone orgies, nor lesbianism within said marriage(someone has thought of it so I answered it) because homosexuality is kind of a big no-no.

If polygamy is what you get in the afterlife why not this one?

An excellent question most will never try to answer - I'll try.

Basically, we don't know. It comes and goes throughout scripture. In the Book of Mormon is was not looked upon favorably. In the OT it was the cool thing to do. And then again with Joseph Smith it popped up again.

My current opinion is that polygamy happened for a number of reasons, but the most important being divine mandate. Women weren't always allowed to own land and a host of other reasons.

But did the church stop the practice in the modern day? *Opinion following - not doctrine* Statehood. Gaining acceptance to the world. I think that God knows people are stupid, and that presentation matters when selling a product - salvation of the immortal souls of men. It is still practiced but not in the flesh. Men can still be sealed to multiple women. But in the flesh he will not be married to more than one woman at a time.

I think it has more to do with presentation than anything else. Since the church is all about missionary work and gaining converts it would make sense to do away with something not necessary in the flesh that could be done later in spirit.

In reality, we never gave it up, but the world doesn't understand it that way because they largely don't see the spiritual aspect of things.

*end opinion*

Also, what if your wives don't jive with that, do you not get them?

The first wife holds the keys to this power. She can say yes or no to the idea - but to her condemnation if she doesn't. Although it seems rather unfair to the women it makes sense when you consider what we see as heaven - Celestial exaltation. You cannot be exalted alone. It is common knowledge that there will be fewer men in heaven than women due to the natural bestial nature of men.

Since you cannot be exalted without a partner that would leave a lot of women out of exaltation who were perfectly worthy - due to a shortage of worthy males. Polygamy provides a way for worthy women to be exalted. Same goes for a man - if he chooses not to marry and be sealed, he simply cannot be exalted.

It seems to be all about ensuring the most people possible can be exalted.

Planet questions

How come you don't get your own planet?

It isn't that you don't get your own planet. It is that it isn't simply awarded to you like *poof!* "Great job! Ya made it, here's your planet. Next!"

I'm sure you really wanted one - you could make one. God makes worlds, and since we believe we can become like him, why couldn't we if we so desired?

IF

If you could bring one person over to the Mormon faith, who would it be?

They know who they are. But it isn't so much that I want them in my club. As I would like to share the comfort and joy I have because of my faith, to alleviate their sorrows.
Codename Section

Cthulhu
03-11-2014, 11:47 AM

For the most part I'd agree - in the mortal coil that is.

Having more than one person to tell you to fix this, do that, and take out the trash? Who wants that noise?

Codename Section
03-11-2014, 11:49 AM
As a male, ( I hope @Alyosha (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=863) reads this) it kinda sounds like a man wrote it. We get to bang multiple women, I mean, marry tons of wives, and they get nothing but sisterhood and sharing. Seems to me God would be more fair than that since it is above our petty shit.

Thanks for answering though. :)

Captain Obvious
03-11-2014, 11:52 AM
As a male, ( I hope @Alyosha (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=863) reads this) it kinda sounds like a man wrote it. I mean, we get to bang multiple women, I mean marry tons of wives, and they get nothing but sisterhood and sharing. Seems to me God would be more fair than that since it is above our petty shit.

Of course a man wrote it.

All throughout history up until just really, really recently it's been a strongly male dominated civilization as is evidenced in holy books - which were written by regular dudes.

Cthulhu
03-11-2014, 11:54 AM
As a male, ( I hope @Alyosha (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=863) reads this) it kinda sounds like a man wrote it. I mean, we get to bang multiple women, I mean marry tons of wives, and they get nothing but sisterhood and sharing. Seems to me God would be more fair than that since it is above our petty shit.

On the surface that is indeed what it looks like. But what makes a man happy and what make woman happy have their differences and similarities.

I'll answer more questions if asked. Provided it doesn't become another trash session like it has else where.

Terminal Lance
03-11-2014, 11:56 AM
I have a question, but I don't want to be rude.

Cigar
03-11-2014, 11:58 AM

One is plenty ... thank God for vacations

Codename Section
03-11-2014, 11:58 AM
I have a question, but I don't want to be rude.

Devil, Cthulhu don't give a shit.

Captain Obvious
03-11-2014, 12:06 PM
Some of my best friends are Mormons.

:laugh:

Seriously, 2 out of 3 of my professional references are Mormons and I've used 2 other Mormons as professional references in the past. None of them know each other. I have no idea how that happened.

One of them was explaining the whole philosophy to me. Joseph Smith, golden plates, something about angels... I seriously thought he was joking.

Terminal Lance
03-11-2014, 12:07 PM
I don't understand the underwear thing.

Cthulhu
03-11-2014, 12:09 PM
Some of my best friends are Mormons.

:laugh:

Seriously, 2 out of 3 of my professional references are Mormons and I've used 2 other Mormons as professional references in the past. None of them know each other. I have no idea how that happened.

One of them was explaining the whole philosophy to me. Joseph Smith, golden plates, something about angels... I seriously thought he was joking.

Stranger things have happened. My best friend in Boot Camp was an admitted Satanist. You'd think we would be arch-nemeses or something. Not at all. We played chess in MRP alot and talked about religion. Interesting dude.

Captain Obvious
03-11-2014, 12:13 PM

Yeah - LOL! that too.

Cthulhu
03-11-2014, 12:14 PM

Long story short.

Basically. You could liken it to the purpose of phylacteries actually. A constant reminder of covenants you've made. And yes, there is more to it than that, but not much more. However I will not discuss that which I ought not.

Best way to illustrate the point is to link to the guy who talks all about it here (https://www.lds.org/ensign/1997/08/the-temple-garment-an-outward-expression-of-an-inward-commitment?lang=eng).

I suppose you could liken it to the EGA on marine uniforms as well. A mark of distinguishment, a setting apart from others so to speak. Because you're not a soldier, you're a marine. And the difference matters.

Captain Obvious
03-11-2014, 12:16 PM
All this shit is stupid.

All religions are kookery, you know a bunch of lunatic old men wrote all this shit.

I believe in God, I'm a Christian (recovering former Catholic) but I think all this ritual, bible, stories, traditions all are witchcraft and God's going to be pretty fucking pissed at most of us for falling for this nonsense.

The Xl
03-11-2014, 12:17 PM
I learned most of what I know about Mormonism from that South Park episode.

I hope that most of that shit was a joke and not real.

Cthulhu
03-11-2014, 12:22 PM
I learned most of what I know about Mormonism from that South Park episode.

I hope that most of that shit was a joke and not real.

A story when told with intent to degrade and distort will usually degrade and distort.

Despite that, South Park is fairly well researched actually. But when you tell a story to degrade and distort, well, you get the idea.

Cthulhu
03-11-2014, 12:23 PM
I believe in God, I'm a Christian (recovering former Catholic) but I think all this ritual, bible, stories, traditions all are witchcraft and God's going to be pretty fucking pissed at most of us for falling for this nonsense.

For the most part yes, you're right, most religions are simply tax free businesses capitalizing on the consciences of others. Doing very little real good in the world.

Peter1469
03-11-2014, 01:28 PM
One of my troopers (a Mormon) got fucked up in Iraq. I took my NCOIC and we broke into his room so I could get his "magic underwear" for his trip back stateside. I also gave him a good evaluation report. I don't know if he ever made it.

The Xl
03-11-2014, 01:29 PM
One of my troopers (a Mormon) got fucked up in Iraq. I took my NCOIC and we broke into his room so I could get his "magic underwear" for his trip back stateside. I also gave him a good evaluation report. I don't know if he ever made it.

This is hilarious, I legit lol'd

Peter1469
03-11-2014, 01:31 PM
This is hilarious, I legit lol'd

Hey, Big Army didn't give a fuck. I did.

Germanicus
03-11-2014, 03:23 PM
Who are those dudes that have sex with their nieghbours daughters again? And when these people buy a house do they go and introduce themselves to their neighbours to see what their nieghbours daughter looks like? Like would they factor that in to the purchase of a new house? Or am I getting this all wrong? i find Utah to be confusing really.

Ever seen that show with Bill Pullman and his three ugly wives? ( I know its Paxton, Im just fucking with you ). I like Amanda Seyried but even she isnt enough to make me sit through that trash.

Whats with Utah? Should we nuke it?

Cthulhu
03-11-2014, 05:31 PM
Who are those dudes that have sex with their nieghbours daughters again? And when these people buy a house do they go and introduce themselves to their neighbours to see what their nieghbours daughter looks like? Like would they factor that in to the purchase of a new house? Or am I getting this all wrong? i find Utah to be confusing really.

Entirely wrong.

Ever seen that show with Bill Pullman and his three ugly wives? ( I know its Paxton, Im just fucking with you ). I like Amanda Seyried but even she isnt enough to make me sit through that trash.

No, I haven't. Probably lame anyways.

Whats with Utah? Should we nuke it?

I wouldn't recommend it, but hey, whatever floats your boat. There is nothing there that can't be built elsewhere.