PDA

View Full Version : Dems To Use Rare Maneuver To Save Unemployment Benefits

Cigar
03-11-2014, 01:30 PM
WASHINGTON -- Democrats in the U.S. House of Representatives will try to restore long-term unemployment insurance to 2 million workers using a rare parliamentary maneuver on Wednesday.

The procedural move, called a discharge petition, requires a majority of House members to sign on in support of discharging a bill from committee that has otherwise stalled. Democrats were unable to hit the threshold needed -- 218 votes -- for another recent discharge petition on minimum wage legislation, so it's unlikely they'll succeed with unemployment benefits.

But Democrats hope merely raising the issue puts pressure on Republicans.

"If my colleagues want to vote against the extension, I respect their right to disagree; but failing to even allow a vote goes against the very progress that families and our constituents demand," said Rep. Brad Schneider (D-Ill.), who will file the petition. "Partisan politics must not be allowed to get in the way of doing the right thing for our middle class families. That’s why I'll be filing a measure to end the gridlock and force a vote on extending unemployment insurance."

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/11/unemployment-benefits_n_4936840.html

Yea ... time to get these Cowards on Record :laugh:

Peter1469
03-11-2014, 01:46 PM
I am happy that I am worth far higher than the minimum wage. And I didn't even pay attention in high school. :smiley:

Cigar
03-11-2014, 01:49 PM
I am happy that I am worth far higher than the minimum wage. And I didn't even pay attention in high school. :smiley:

One of the main reasons I don't eat at McDog-Shit ... those people don't give a shit.

Peter1469
03-11-2014, 02:00 PM
One of the main reasons I don't eat at McDog-Shit ... those people don't give a shit.

McDonalds I don't eat their either.

Reverend_Hellh0und
03-11-2014, 02:21 PM
I don't eat mcDonalds because it's poison.,

Green Arrow
03-11-2014, 05:06 PM
I say good on them. The committee process is often criminal in how it operates, and what bills they allow to the floor. I think this should be done more often, and not just by Democrats.

patrickt
03-11-2014, 05:44 PM

Cigar has no respect for the little people working at McDonalds.

When you're busy buying votes you can't always follow the rules.

Contrails
03-11-2014, 06:54 PM

McDonalds I don't eat their either.

:f_whistle:

nathanbforrest45
03-11-2014, 07:03 PM
Maneuver. Interesting term as applied here. That's all the Dems have is maneuvers and subterfuge.

Peter1469
03-11-2014, 07:23 PM
:f_whistle: Fries with you global warming meme?

patrickt
03-11-2014, 10:13 PM
Maneuver. Interesting term as applied here. That's all the Dems have is maneuvers and subterfuge.

Not true. They lie, too.

Green Arrow
03-11-2014, 11:15 PM

What's wrong with this particular action? As I said, both parties should be doing this. The committee process is bullshit, the way they do it. Do you know how many good bills die in committee before they can ever see the floor?