PDA

View Full Version : Norway Police Were Fantastic: Justice Minister.....

MMC
07-26-2011, 06:46 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/norway-police-see-attacker-probably-alone-075621331.html
Reuters – 2 hrs 6 mins ago....

OSLO (Reuters) - Norway's justice minister on Tuesday hailed "fantastic" police work after Anders Behring Breivik killed at least 76 people, setting aside criticisms that police had reacted too slowly to a shooting massacre.

An armed SWAT team took more than an hour to reach Utoeya island, where Breivik was coolly shooting terrified youngsters at a ruling Labour Party youth camp. He killed 68 there and eight in an earlier bombing of Oslo's government district.

Many Norwegians seem to agree the police do not deserve opprobrium for their response. At a march of more than 100,000 in Oslo on Monday night, people applauded rescue workers.

The Aftenposten daily said Breivik's interrogation was moving slowly, with the confessed killer silent on his claims about sleeper cells or other potential collaborators.
Prosecutors will consider whether Breivik's acts fall under a 2008 law on crimes against humanity, said Staale Eskeland, professor of criminal law at Oslo University.
"To kill a group of civilians systematically is the basic criteria" for charges of crimes against humanity, Eskeland said, adding that the maximum penalty for this offence was 30 years in jail, rather than 21 years under the anti-terrorism law.
In both cases the sentence can be extended for up to five years at a time if there is risk of repeat offences.

Intuitively, it feels like he is alone when you read the document. It's like he's lost in this made-up world and can't distinguish between fantasy and reality," said Magnus Ranstorp, Research Director at the Center for Asymmetric Threat Studies at the Swedish National Defense College.

Police defended themselves from suggestions that some alarm bells should have rung about Breivik. The head of the PST security police even said he would have slipped through the net in former East Germany with its feared Stasi police.....

The police defend their actions as usual. Should they? Took them over an hour to get out to this Island, and this was their SWAT TEAM? Any think these guys need some praise. Not to mention there is or has been no questioning if there was a conflict of orders between LE's and Govt Security Forces..... :-\

Mister D
07-26-2011, 07:46 AM
I don't think they can be blamed for not identifying this guy before hand. That's a bit much to ask particularly when you consider the fact that he was not affiliated with any groups known to be violent. If he had come from a neo-Nazi background he owuld probably have been on their radar.

30 years for killing 70 plus people? My first impulse was to laugh but considering the gravity of the situation...

MMC
07-26-2011, 08:03 AM
Mornin D.....you think Norway has a death penalty. I didnt check into it. Just askin off the top. I agree no way to know before for a flake goes off. I think he lies about the cells. Makes more of himself than there really is. Wonder if they let him hear what his father had to say about him?

Mister D
07-26-2011, 08:23 AM
Mornin D.....you think Norway has a death penalty. I didnt check into it. Just askin off the top. I agree no way to know before for a flake goes off. I think he lies about the cells. Makes more of himself than there really is. Wonder if they let him hear what his father had to say about him?

They don't have a death penalty. I heard that last night. The max this guy can get under current law is 30 years. Can you believe that?

Yeah, there was nothign that could reasonably have brought this guy under suspicion as far as I know.

MMC
07-26-2011, 09:16 AM
Isnt there something about locking him up for life if he is consdiered a threat to humanity? Like in a Mental Institution.....

Mister D
07-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Isnt there something about locking him up for life if he is consdiered a threat to humanity? Like in a Mental Institution.....

I'm sure they will find some way of lengthening his sentence no matter how silly it looks.

Conley
07-26-2011, 09:42 AM

They don't have a death penalty. I heard that last night. The max this guy can get under current law is 30 years. Can you believe that?

Yeah, there was nothign that could reasonably have brought this guy under suspicion as far as I know.

30 years?!? So each murder is about 4 months? (90 x 1/3 of one year). I'm sure he'll get longer than that but the fact that the books say 30 years blows my mind.

Conley
07-26-2011, 09:43 AM
Perhaps they've lowered the casualty count...still...

Mister D
07-26-2011, 09:47 AM

It dropped 76 last I heard.

Conley
07-26-2011, 09:51 AM

Ah, I see...that makes the math harder, but the point stands.

Mister D
07-26-2011, 09:56 AM

Ah, I see...that makes the math harder, but the point stands.

You'd think it would be 76 life sequential sentences.

Conley
07-26-2011, 09:58 AM
Exactly...I would think that would be how it would here in the US in non-death penalty states.

Mister D
07-26-2011, 10:03 AM
Exactly...I would think that would be how it would here in the US in non-death penalty states.

No question about it if he wasn't executed. Honestly, this hardly makes Norway (or Europe in general) look principled and civilized. It makes them look silly.

Conley
07-26-2011, 10:07 AM

No question about it if he wasn't executed. Honestly, this hardly makes Norway (or Europe in general) look principled and civilized. It makes them look silly.

There's no way (I hope) they can ever let him walk the streets again. If the powers that be feel he doesn't constitute a danger to society, well then their society is truly doomed.

Mister D
07-26-2011, 10:11 AM

There's no way (I hope) they can ever let him walk the streets again. If the powers that be feel he doesn't constitute a danger to society, well then their society is truly doomed.

I said to MMC earlier I'm sure they will find a way to lengthen his sentence. The crimes against humanity stuff sounds lame but whatever works I guess.

Conley
07-26-2011, 10:14 AM
It does sound lame, but really without knowing how they definite it this does sound like a crime against humanity. Think how many lives have been affected by this mad man. I use that term, but technically he sounds very competent. I wonder if he will end up in a psych ward or just a standard prison. I also wonder if he might be in danger from other prisoners as he would in the U.S.

Mister D
07-26-2011, 10:17 AM
It does sound lame, but really without knowing how they definite it this does sound like a crime against humanity. Think how many lives have been affected by this mad man. I use that term, but technically he sounds very competent. I wonder if he will end up in a psych ward or just a standard prison. I also wonder if he might be in danger from other prisoners as he would in the U.S.

Good point. I could see him getting killed. Then again, those prisons probably have a fair number of neo-Nazis. Not sure how they will perceive his crimes.

hellraiser
07-26-2011, 03:51 PM
there are probably more neo nazis in america then there are in norway

Mister D
07-26-2011, 05:49 PM
there are probably more neo nazis in america then there are in norway

There are probably more...well of everyone in the US than in Norway with the exception of Norwegians.

hellraiser
07-26-2011, 05:57 PM
cool

we can learn a lot about tolerance from norway

Mister D
07-26-2011, 06:26 PM
cool

Yeah, sure looks like it. :D

Conley
07-26-2011, 06:33 PM
cool

How do you figure? That gunman didn't seem particularly tolerant.

Conley
07-26-2011, 09:37 PM
Friday's twin attacks in Norway that killed 76 people have sparked growing outcry at the country's penal code, under which even the man now accused in the mass killings would face a maximum penalty of only 21 years in prison if convicted.

If found guilty in the massacre and given that maximum sentence, Anders Behrin Breivik, 32, would serve roughly 100 days in prison per killing.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/07/25/calls-reportedly-grow-in-norway-to-extend-maximum-penalty-after-twin-attacks/#ixzz1TGl6LYs1