PDA

View Full Version : Rules not men should govern

nathanbforrest45
03-12-2014, 10:21 AM
An interesting article by Walter Williams, a professor of economics at George Mason University regarding how government should work. I believe this is the very reason elections have become so nasty and important. Neither side wants to play by the rules but to be granted favors by those in power. This is also why the Tea Party is so reviled by both Democrats and Republicans

http://townhall.com/columnists/walterewilliams/2014/03/12/governed-by-rules-not-men-n1806525

Captain Obvious
03-12-2014, 10:26 AM
I saw this thread title and thought Chris had to have posted it. :)

This article is a crock of shit. If our society, culture, industries were as simple as a basketball game (as the article examples) then maybe.

There is no substitute for clear, solid judgment.

Captain Obvious
03-12-2014, 10:27 AM
Oh yeah, RW hack website alert.

Chris
03-12-2014, 10:37 AM
I saw this thread title and thought Chris had to have posted it. :)

This article is a crock of shit. If our society, culture, industries were as simple as a basketball game (as the article examples) then maybe.

There is no substitute for clear, solid judgment.

Why thank you! Oh, you mean Walter Williams, lol. And yes this is the sort of article I would post and agree with. It is what I think was and is meant by the Declaration words "all men are created equal." It was one of the early ideas of the Enlightenment, that kings had no divine right to rule but were subject to the same rules as other men. Credit however should be given to the Jews for coming up with the idea of subjecting kings to the law.

Chris
03-12-2014, 10:39 AM
Oh yeah, RW hack website alert.

Oh come on, you can go to George Mason University to find the original February 8, 2004 Walter Williams article: Governed by Rules Not Men (http://econfaculty.gmu.edu/wew/articles/04/rules.html).

Captain Obvious
03-12-2014, 10:42 AM
Oh come on, you can go to George Mason University to find the original February 8, 2004 Walter Williams article: Governed by Rules Not Men (http://econfaculty.gmu.edu/wew/articles/04/rules.html).

Super

nic34
03-12-2014, 11:17 AM
The guy is an authoritarian....

http://protectthevalues.net/mmtv/201005250052

nathanbforrest45
03-12-2014, 11:17 AM
Interesting that he is recycling 10 year old articles. Equally interesting that the idea that we are a nation of laws and not men would find so much dissent.

Oh well, there is a Contarian born every minute I am told.

Chris
03-12-2014, 11:20 AM
The guy is an authoritarian....

http://protectthevalues.net/mmtv/201005250052

Bullshit, nic. Allowing kids the liberty to work is not authoritarian.

Chris
03-12-2014, 11:21 AM
Interesting that he is recycling 10 year old articles. Equally interesting that the idea that we are a nation of laws and not men would find so much dissent.

Oh well, there is a Contarian born every minute I am told.

Townhall probably recycled it but you can't get the message out too often, especially in the face of resistance to it.

nathanbforrest45
03-12-2014, 11:25 AM
Child labor laws came about because the unions wanted to limit the number of potential workers. Children have been working on farms for centuries, working in a factory was just more of the same. In many cases the children worked side by side with their mothers or fathers and helped supplement the family income. Like the minimum wage of today child laborers were not expected to make enough to start families at the age of 10.

I doubt if there were no laws regarding child labor today that you would get very many underaged children working in factories.

nic34
03-12-2014, 11:46 AM
Bullshit, nic. Allowing kids the liberty to work is not authoritarian.

Touched a nerve?

There is a reason we passed LAWS requiring kids to go to school and NOT to mines to work.

Most people wanted it.

patrickt
03-12-2014, 12:34 PM
Touched a nerve?

There is a reason we passed LAWS requiring kids to go to school and NOT to mines to work.

Most people wanted it.

Of course, there's a reason. Control. An Amish family had a small carpentry business. When a 14-year old son got home from school his father shut down the equipment and took a break while the son swept out the workshop. The government put a stop to that.

It is primarily about government control. Between the government and trial lawyers kids learn to sit on the couch and be cared for. Work? Don't be silly.

nathanbforrest45
03-12-2014, 12:39 PM
Touched a nerve?

Most people wanted it.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Most people didn't give a shit.

patrickt
03-12-2014, 12:51 PM
Touched a nerve?

Most people wanted it.

Of course, Nic. Nobody wanted children mowing their lawn or shoveling their snow. Nobody wanted children bagging groceries when they weren't in school or working after school in McDonalds. Ever notice kids don't deliver newspapers any longer?

People who work often want to be independent. That's not something the leftists can tolerate.

nathanbforrest45
03-12-2014, 01:01 PM
All through my high school and college years I worked at a variety of jobs. Bagging groceries, delivering a paper route, pumping gas in a service station, etc. I knew I wasn't going to make a career out of any of those jobs but they taught me several things. One was the importance of getting along with the customer. I remember every bag boy at the Winn Dixie I worked was asked the same question after the first week, who is the most important person in the store. If you did not answer the customer you were not put on the schedule for the next week or any week thereafter. Customer service was paramount. Those jobs also taught you the importance of living up to your obligations. You were expected to be at work at a certain time, dressed in a certain manner, neat, clean and orderly. Driving teens out of the work force takes away an important learning experience.

patrickt
03-12-2014, 01:09 PM
Nat, I had a lot of crappy jobs and learned something from every one of them. I learned to work. That's something children who do nothing but go to school till they're 26 never learn.

nathanbforrest45
03-12-2014, 01:20 PM
Nat, I had a lot of crappy jobs and learned something from every one of them. I learned to work. That's something children who do nothing but go to school till they're 26 never learn.

Now kids have this entitlement mentality. I had an employee who wanted health insurance so we got him the same plan my wife and I were on. Since he had to pay for his own prescriptions that wasn't good enough he wanted a plan where he paid absolutely nothing. I gave him the opportunity to find an employer who would perhaps provide that for him.

Look at all the bitching an moaning Micky D workers are doing. They know what the job entails, they know what it pays, they know what the benefits may or may not be before they take the job. Then they want the government to give them something for nothing.

I am a counter by temperament. I was sitting in the mall food court one day counting the transactions between the different vendors, one of which was Chic Fil A. I noticed they were doing more business than all the others combined. They had more customers and the lines were moving much quicker. Then I noticed the staff at Chic Fil A was all older workers, looked like retirees while the others had high school kids working. If I ever started a franchise business like that I would only hire those 65 or older because they were far more productive than the gimmee dat generation. I could even afford to pay them more because of that increased productivity.

Chris
03-12-2014, 01:39 PM
Touched a nerve?

Most people wanted it.

Calling you on your bullshit touched my nerve? Make sense, nic.

What reasons, nic? Check close because you'll likely find those laws were passed only after families no longer needed to put their children to work as they had done for centuries as nathanbforrest45 just pointed out.

When I was a kid I worked for a newspaper, like most, started off as a paperboy, but because of interest, moved up to the editing and layout room before I went to highschool. Why do you want laws to forbid kids to work?

nic34
03-12-2014, 01:53 PM
Why don't you all take the time to look at the actual law instead of this blather about big bad liberals... because it's obvious you only post conservative talking points....

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/youthlabor/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Labor_Standards_Act

The Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 covers workers under 18, and limits the hours they can work, depending on their age and occupation. They must be paid at least as much as the legal minimum wage, and they must be covered by the protective laws that apply to adult workers.

The idea was not only to protect children from the harmful exploitation they commonly suffered but specifically to give them the time and opportunity to get a decent education, to get enough rest and time for study.

14 years into the 21st century, people are actually taking seriously proposals that would send us back into the 19th century.

Maybe you all would like to strike down minimum age laws for conscription? Start with YOUR kids first.

nathanbforrest45
03-12-2014, 01:59 PM
Having to pay kids the same wages and provide the same benefits as adults effectively shut out kids from working. This was all a union ploy to keep wages inflated.

nathanbforrest45
03-12-2014, 02:00 PM
Would you rather have a job at $6.00 an hour or no job at $10.00 an hour? That is really the issue here regardless of how you want to spin it.

Chris
03-12-2014, 02:05 PM
Why don't you all take the time to look at the actual law instead of this blather about big bad liberals... because it's obvious you only post conservative talking points....

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/youthlabor/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Labor_Standards_Act

The Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 covers workers under 18, and limits the hours they can work, depending on their age and occupation. They must be paid at least as much as the legal minimum wage, and they must be covered by the protective laws that apply to adult workers.

The idea was not only to protect children from the harmful exploitation they commonly suffered but specifically to give them the time and opportunity to get a decent education, to get enough rest and time for study.

14 years into the 21st century, people are actually taking seriously proposals that would send us back into the 19th century.

Maybe you all would like to strike down minimum age laws for conscription? Start with YOUR kids first.

I said nothing about liberals, nic, I criticized the law as being, if not extraneous, detrimental.

I shouldn't say extraneous, though, should I, as it probably serves the unions well keeping workforce demographics down and, by supply and demand, wages high.

The Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 - for crying out loud, that's WWII, kids weren't working factories anymore, hell, women were.

"harmful exploitation" was Marx's complaint too.

nic34
03-12-2014, 02:16 PM
Having to pay kids the same wages and provide the same benefits as adults effectively shut out kids from working. This was all a union ploy to keep wages inflated.

It was a great idea too. Until corporations found a way around it by illegally hiring illegal immigrants....

Kids should have a chance at an education first so they can have the FREEDOM to chose their own future... not stuck on pa's farm or hardware store.

Might want to think about that.

patrickt
03-12-2014, 02:34 PM
It was a great idea too. Until corporations found a way around it by illegally hiring illegal immigrants....

Kids should have a chance at an education first so they can have the FREEDOM to chose their own future... not stuck on pa's farm or hardware store.

Poor, Nic. Can't imagine working part-time and going to school. I guess he never did that. We're back to the left not wanting people to work. Work might lead to independence.

Why would someone prefer not working for $10 an hour to working for $6 an hour? When they get paid $8 an hour not to work.

nathanbforrest45
03-12-2014, 02:42 PM
At one time the most affluent people as a group in the United States were farmers. This was the period from the 1880's to around the 1920's.

I own a small business (I just finished my taxes and discovered Obama considers me rich). My daughter worked for me, used the training I gave her and now works for an international freight forwarder. I will be 70 this December and am seriously thinking of sailing, fly fishing and golfing for a living in the very near future. I hope she will take over the business in another year or two. Working in Pa's hardware is not the hardship or imprisonment you must think it is. You hate the corporations but you sneer at the small businessman as being beneath you. What is the middle ground? Working for the government? Being on the dole??

Peter1469
03-12-2014, 03:08 PM
I have to agree about the illegals.

Chris
03-12-2014, 03:11 PM

That and automation lowered demand and prosperity allowed children to be educated and so on so forth. IOW, it was the very things progressives gripe about that effected change.

The Sage of Main Street
03-12-2014, 03:49 PM

Might want to think about paying students. Preparation is the most important part of production. If they aren't paid, they aren't worth anything. They are amateurs.

The reason you are not allowed to think of education as a job is that the children of the rich are paid, in the form of a healthy allowance. So students who are disgusted, depressed, demoralized, and humiliated by student poverty should take it out on the rich kids. Anyone Born with a Silver Spoon in His Mouth Should Have It Shoved Down His Throat.

That is a natural human reaction, suppressed by totalitarian Class Supremacy. Because I was an A student, other students thought I was a pet of the ruling class and would easily become their tyrant boss when we grew up. They got even in advance for that. Even though my supposed privileged status was completely false; that's not what the rich had made them think.