PDA

View Full Version : Syrian Army Takes Northern Rebel Stronghold.....

MMC
03-13-2012, 08:14 AM
BEIRUT (AP) — Syrian military forces have recaptured the northern rebel stronghold of Idlib along the border with Turkey, a major base that army defectors had held for months, a pro-government newspaper reported Tuesday. An international rights group said the army is mining the border with Turkey.
Fresh from a monthlong campaign that drove rebels out of another key base in central Homs, President Bashar Assad's forces launched a siege on the city of Idlib three days ago. The city had been under control of hundreds of fighters for the rebel Free Syrian Army.

Also in northern Syria, the activist groups Local Coordination Committees and the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported intense clashes between government troops and army defectors in the town of Maaret al-Numan, in Idlib province, on Sunday night.

In Geneva, the U.N. refugee agency said 230,000 Syrians have fled their homes since the uprising against Assad's regime began last year. The U.N. says more than 7,500 people have been killed in the past 12 months.
The U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees' coordinator for Syria says 30,000 people have already fled to Turkey, Lebanon and Jordan and "on a daily basis hundreds of people are still crossing into neighboring countries."

"Any use of anti-personnel landmines is unconscionable," said Steve Goose, Arms Division director at Human Rights Watch. "There is absolutely no justification for the use of these indiscriminate weapons by any country, anywhere, for any purpose."

In November, a Syrian official and witnesses told The Associated Press that Syria planted landmines along parts of its border with Lebanon. The official at the time said the mines aim to prevent arms smuggling.....snip~

http://news.yahoo.com/report-syria-army-takes-northern-rebel-stronghold-112318395.html
Associated Press – 32 mins ago<<<<< More Here!

Looks like Assad keeps building those defenses. That human rights group says there is absolutely no justification for the use of mines. Now Syria has been threatened by the Sunni Countries and Turkey. Warned by the US and the West. Assad told to step-down and give up the country to the majority, the Sunni.

When would there be enough justification for the use of landmines after the above mentioned takes place? Shouldn't Asad be trying to consolidate his power and defends his country from what he sees as a percieved threat?

I will bet this one.....really pisses the Saud off, huh? Hillary not calling on Assads Army to protect the poeple of Syria anymore? Should Turkey have the right to interfere in Syria's Affairs?

Conley
03-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Seems like the rebels have been on the losing end more often than not lately. The momentum is on Assad's side.

MMC
03-13-2012, 09:40 AM
Leaves their base in Turkey.....huh? Which Syria wont be going after that directly with any conventional forces I would think.

Conley
03-13-2012, 09:42 AM
It is up to Syria to protect its own borders. Turkey certainly has an interest if the fighting is on the border and affects its citizens.

MMC
03-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Turkey doesnt have to keep their borders open either. They don't have to take the refugees in. Moreover they don't have to let the rebels have a base in their country.

Conley
03-13-2012, 10:15 AM
MMC, you love Turkey. Remember how much trouble they've been giving the French? :grin:

MMC
03-13-2012, 10:25 AM
MMC, you love Turkey. Remember how much trouble they've been giving the French? :grin:

Yeah.....but my Mom's reminded me I only eat the white meat. :laugh: :wink:

No seriously, what bothers me is that while Turkey meddles in anothers affairs. Then the West and the Sunni propegate more shit into the mix thru the use of Turkey. Which then Turkey wants involvement from us. Then money!

Conley
03-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Yeah.....but my Mom's reminded me I only eat the white meat. :laugh: :wink:

No seriously, what bothers me is that while Turkey meddles in anothers affairs. Then the West and the Sunni propegate more shit into the mix thru the use of Turkey. Which then Turkey wants involvement from us. Then money!

:laugh: I like the white and the dark. :yo2:

Understood where you're coming from. All the involved nations are meddling hoping to bend the outcome to their own interests. That's what countries do, the problem as I see it is that our foreign policy and practices in the region don't ensure a certain or even likely benefit.

MMC
03-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Nothing I see but protection of Sunni interests and assisting in moving their agenda forward. That is not A Interest of OUR National Security. :smiley:

Conley
03-13-2012, 11:19 AM
No argument there!