PDA

View Full Version : Militants Attack Afghan Government Representatives after Memorial for Slain Victims

Conley
03-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Militants riding motorcycles on Tuesday attacked an Afghan government delegation visiting the village where an American soldier is accused of killing 16 people in a door-to-door rampage, puncturing the calm that had largely prevailed in Afghanistan since the killings. At least one Afghan soldier was killed in Tuesday’s attack, which came two days after the shooting spree that further stoked the already deep anti-American sentiment in the country.

The assailants struck around 11:30 a.m. just as a memorial service for those killed in the Panjwai district of Kandahar Province was coming to an end, said Adubl Rahim Ayobi, a member of Parliament from the province. The death of the Afghan soldier was confirmed by Gen. Abdul Raziq, the Kandahar provincial police chief, who added that two other people were wounded, including an Afghan military prosecutor.

The notables attending the ceremony, including two of President Karzai’s brothers, appeared to escape unharmed. “A few bullets landed in the vicinity of the area where the delegation was sitting,” Mr. Ayobi said in a telephone interview as he made his way back to Kandahar City, the provincial capital. “The security forces repelled the attack and are chasing the insurgents.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/14/world/asia/militants-attack-afghan-delegation-at-site-of-killing-spree.html

The situation is destabilizing as news of the attacks spread. They are burning effigies of Obama in the street. Washington is talking about speeding up the withdrawal even while military commanders want to stay.

MMC
03-13-2012, 10:03 AM
I heard the protests are getting larger as well and spreading. I hope Karzai knows he is a dead man once we pull out.

Conley
03-13-2012, 10:09 AM
I heard the protests are getting larger as well and spreading. I hope Karzai knows he is a dead man once we pull out.

I think he knows since they went after his family in this attack. He'll probably either be killed or leave the country on his own.

Mister D
03-13-2012, 10:25 AM
He's toast for sure. He will definitely abandon Afghanistan soon afetr we leave.

MMC
03-13-2012, 10:29 AM
I think thats why he has been running to Iran all this time.....whichour Military knows he has. Obama certainly knows he has. Yet no one is questioning any of that shit.

Conley
03-13-2012, 10:42 AM
I think thats why he has been running to Iran all this time.....whichour Military knows he has. Obama certainly knows he has. Yet no one is questioning any of that shit.

Yes, both al-Maliki in Iraq and Karzai in Afghanistan have gotten quite cozy with Iran.

Alias
03-13-2012, 10:53 AM
I think Karzai was living in some other country before we invaded Afghanistan and I'm sure he will return there if we pull out early.

wingrider
03-13-2012, 05:11 PM
interesting.. I am going to wait a bit and see how this plays out.. lets see if turkey joins with Iran as well, then we have something to think about.

MMC
03-13-2012, 07:34 PM
I don't think Turkey will join with Iran. They want NATO Status to much.

Peter1469
03-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Turkey will not join with Iran. Turkey is seeking regional hegemon status. That will require them countering Iranian power.

wingrider
03-13-2012, 11:31 PM
maybe.. but .. if their end goal is a caliphate.. with autonomous rule, then I wouldn't rule turkey completly out of the equation just yet.

MMC
03-14-2012, 03:08 AM
When did Turkey say they wanted some sort of Caliphate? Didn't we have a conversation on the difference between Eastern and Western Turkey?