PDA

View Full Version : My Lai revisited? Obama says Afghanistan massacre is ‘not comparable’

Mister D
03-13-2012, 03:54 PM
I didn't realize anyone was comparing the two. Anyway, Obama is right. The comparison is absurd on a number of levels.

This Friday will mark the 44th anniversary of the My Lai massacre in Vietnam, when an American platoon killed some 300 Vietnamese civilians, including children. And with the anniversary date rapidly approaching, the recent mass killing spree by an American soldier in Afghanistan has brought up several direct comparisons between the two incidents.
"The United States takes this as seriously as if it was our own citizens and our own children who were murdered," President Barack Obama said to reporters at the White House today. In his remarks, the president announced that he has ordered the Pentagon to "spare no effort" in its investigation of the incident, which resulted in the death of at least 16 Afghan civilians, including nine children, three women and four men this past Sunday.
Both events were horrific, but as we try to process the news coming out of Afghanistan, there are some distinct differences between the two.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upshot/lai-revisited-obama-says-afghanistan-massacre-not-comparable-181907736.html

Conley
03-13-2012, 04:30 PM
I hadn't read any comparisons of the two either. I hope the only reason Obama brought that up was because it was asked about by a reporter. If he mentioned that on his own he needs to find new writers.

Mister D
03-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Agreed but I'm hoping some jackass reporter asked a question like that at some point.

Conley
03-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Agreed but I'm hoping some jackass reporter asked a question like that at some point.

From the article I'm pretty sure that's what happened.

MMC
03-13-2012, 07:01 PM
Plus they brought up all about his home base Fort Lewis Washington. I knew they were going to bring this shit up again. :angry:

Cmon give me a break.....spare no effort to a guy who admitted his guilt while turning himself in. Seems pretty clear cut to me. Not that I like it.....as he was in a 5th Tour, and living around some backstabbing two-faced, conniving, uneducated, pieces of fecal matter.

Mainecoons
03-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Afghanistan and Vietnam have one thing in common: They are both demonstratons of the idiocy of the progressive cancer that has seized the U.S. for 5 decades and managed to blunder into one misbegotten foreign military misadventure after another, until the country is hopelessly in debt and on the ropes.

And that wad done by both Republicrats and Demicans, folks. Don't be fooled that there's a nickel's worth of difference between these two gangs of criminal politicians.

Peter1469
03-13-2012, 07:39 PM
It is the nation building fetish.

If you feel like you have to crush someone, do it and then go home. If the US stuck to that, we would really be seen as a superpower.