PDA

View Full Version : Which Place Is More Sexist: The Middle East Or Latin America?

Captain Obvious
03-17-2014, 11:13 AM
http://www.npr.org/blogs/parallels/2014/03/11/289058115/which-place-is-more-sexist-the-middle-east-or-latin-america

A semi-naked woman in a sequined Carnival costume. A veiled woman with only her eyes showing in a niqab. Two stereotypes of two vastly different regions — Latin America and the Middle East.

On the surface, these two images couldn't be more diametrically opposed. What could the two have in common, right? What a woman wears — or what she doesn't wear, in Brazil's case — is often interpreted as a sign of her emancipation. The veil, for many, is a symbol of female oppression; the right to wear a bikini, one of liberation.

As a woman and a foreigner who lived in Baghdad and Cairo and worked throughout the Middle East for years, I always felt the need to dress modestly and respectfully. Frankly, my recent move back to Latin America was initially a relief. Brazil is the land where less is more — and it was wonderful to put on whatever I wanted.

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2014/03/12/BeachDiptych_wide-043de7e8bbb351f2b4a41698dcbb8d4dd87a19a9-s4-c85.jpg

Cigar
03-17-2014, 11:26 AM
Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm Sexy :grin:

http://media.treehugger.com/assets/images/2011/10/oil-field-b-j001.jpg

Who's dieing over Hot Women? :wink:

The Xl
03-17-2014, 11:32 AM
I will take Latin Americas view on female emancipation, thank you very much.

Mister D
03-17-2014, 11:36 AM
It's more a matter of machismo in Latin America.

kilgram
03-17-2014, 11:38 AM
I prefer Spanish vision on this. In this thing we are even more open... To the point is absolutely legal practice nudism in beaches. Or the top less is common, however it depends on the style of the year. There are years that all women practice topless, and other years there are less.

After Franco dicatatorship came the time of liberation and one of them was the sexual liberation and the freedom of the women to dress as they wanted.

Mister D
03-17-2014, 11:40 AM
If you insist on prancing around naked you should at least make sure you take care of yourself. There ought to be a law.

Captain Obvious
03-17-2014, 11:42 AM
If you insist on prancing around naked you should at least make sure you take care of yourself. There ought to be a law.

Agreed.

This is where we really need police brutality.

http://www.fistofblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/thong4.jpg

Mister D
03-17-2014, 11:44 AM
Agreed.

This is where we really need police brutality.

http://www.fistofblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/thong4.jpg

ugh...that's what I mean. Nude beach sounds awesome 'til you start thinking about what you actually might see.

The Xl
03-17-2014, 11:44 AM

Lmao.

kilgram
03-17-2014, 12:44 PM
ugh...that's what I mean. Nude beach sounds awesome 'til you start thinking about what you actually might see.
And?

Is their freedom to go as they please.

It is a matter for good luck has been absolutely superated, except for the conservative and fascists of the Forum of the Family, Hazte Oir and other fringe groups that exist around the Popular's Party (PP).

IMPress Polly
03-17-2014, 12:51 PM
Ah, the burkha or the thong: the only two dress options available to women evidently. In answer to the okay, considering that men are the more privileged sex, ask yourself which one men wear.

(Hint: The answer is neither.)

Captain Obvious
03-17-2014, 12:55 PM
Ah, the burkha or the thong: the only two dress options available to women evidently. In answer to the okay, considering that men are the more privileged sex, ask yourself which one men wear.

(Hint: The answer is neither.)

Nobody in the US forces women into wearing thongs.

Is there social pressure on women to be sluts? Maybe, but that's not forcing.

In Islam, women are forced into doing (and not doing) many things.

IMPress Polly
03-17-2014, 01:03 PM
Captain Obvious wrote:
Nobody in the US forces women into wearing thongs.

Want a bet?

Is there social pressure on women to be sluts? Maybe, but that's not forcing.

I wish it were you.

Heyduke
03-17-2014, 01:06 PM
When I went to Costa Rica in 1990 (before it was over-run by tourists), our group was informed that our women should be careful to cover up. I went as part of a biology class on the natural History of Costa Rica and actually got 6 units of college credit.

Anyway, outside of the tourist zones, the women in our group were warned that this was not California where women are treated alternately like princesses or meat. We went to a restaurant in the city and the waiter ignored the women altogether. The men had to order food for them as the waiter wasn't going to be taking any directions from a female.

I caught a lot of flack there because I had long hair. Latin America, if you get outside the tourist zones, has very specific gender roles. Even the language is broken up into masculine and feminine words.

Captain Obvious
03-17-2014, 01:08 PM
Want a bet?

I wish it were you.

You don't have to force me to be a slut, I already am.

And no, nobody is forcing women to wear thongs. And no, you can't take a fringe exception and extrapolate it into the norm either.

IMPress Polly
03-17-2014, 01:19 PM
Captain Obvious wrote:
You don't have to force me to be a slut, I already am.

Slut is a gendered term, which makes it offensive, and it's one I've been on the receiving end of quite a lot of times, often for no good reason (which is why I've gotten a little mad at you just now). I'm pretty sure you're not meaning to suggest that you're a "loose woman". :wink:

And no, nobody is forcing women to wear thongs. And no, you can't take a fringe exception and extrapolate it into the norm either.

Oh really? Ever hear of this thing called prostitution? Or sex trafficking? I've been there, so I know for a fact first-hand that your statement is incorrect. It's happened to me.

Mister D
03-17-2014, 01:19 PM
And?

Is their freedom to go as they please.

It is a matter for good luck has been absolutely superated, except for the conservative and fascists of the Forum of the Family, Hazte Oir and other fringe groups that exist around the Popular's Party (PP).

Their freedom? If not wanting to see your fat, digusting ass is "fascist" then I, sir, am I fascist. Arriba Espana!

I'm just kidding. I'm a fascist regardless. :wink:

Captain Obvious
03-17-2014, 01:25 PM
Slut is a gendered term, which makes it offensive, and it's one I've been on the receiving end of quite a lot of times, often for no good reason (which is why I've gotten a little mad at you just now). I'm pretty sure you're not meaning to suggest that you're a "loose woman". :wink:

The primary definition of the word is gendered but it's used for both men and women.

Oh really? Ever hear of this thing called prostitution? Or sex trafficking? I've been there, so I know for a fact first-hand that your statement is incorrect. It's happened to me.

I said no fringe exceptions.

The Xl
03-17-2014, 01:26 PM
No, Polly, no one is forcing any woman to do anything of the sort, with the exception of the few that are forced into the profession.

You voluntarily chose to be a prostitute, did you not?

Heyduke
03-17-2014, 01:42 PM
I said no fringe exceptions.

Forget it bro. A woman is always right, even when she's wrong.

GrassrootsConservative
03-17-2014, 05:04 PM
The Democrat Party.

sachem
03-17-2014, 05:08 PM
I prefer Spanish vision on this. In this thing we are even more open... To the point is absolutely legal practice nudism in beaches. Or the top less is common, however it depends on the style of the year. There are years that all women practice topless, and other years there are less.

After Franco dicatatorship came the time of liberation and one of them was the sexual liberation and the freedom of the women to dress as they wanted.You mean to dress as the men wanted.

Heyduke
03-17-2014, 05:51 PM
You mean to dress as the men wanted.

Women only dress the way their man wants until they are married. After that they wear shapeless sweatshirts and mom jeans.

Gerrard Winstanley
03-17-2014, 05:57 PM
A college friend and I sighted his dad on a nudist beach.

Long fucking story.

The Xl
03-17-2014, 05:58 PM

Long fucking story.

Lmfao, oh God.

Mister D
03-17-2014, 05:59 PM

Long fucking story.

Damn dude...:undecided:

Mister D
03-17-2014, 05:59 PM
Lmfao, oh God.

Yeah, right? Game changer.

Dr. Who
03-17-2014, 09:25 PM
Hmm. Having had the dubious pleasure of accidentally ending up on a nudist beach, I can say categorically it would be better if most people kept their clothing on - male and female, particularly beyond a certain age, but generally speaking if they look bad in a bathing suit, they look worse in their birthday suit. Gravity is the gift that keeps on giving.

sachem
03-17-2014, 10:53 PM
Women only dress the way their man wants until they are married. After that they wear shapeless sweatshirts and mom jeans.;)