PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Search for Life on Mars Ends With Budget Cuts

Conley
03-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Just as NASA is on the cusp of answering the most fascinating questions about Mars — is there, was there or could there be life there? — the money needed to provide the answers is about to be abruptly withdrawn, a victim of President Obama’s budget request for 2013, scientists say.

Two ambitious missions that NASA had hoped to launch to Mars, in 2016 and 2018, will be canceled. The first would have sent an orbiter to measure gases in the Martian atmosphere — methane in particular, since methane does not last long. Its presence could suggest that Martian microbes are busy at work emitting the gas (though other explanations are also possible).

The second, in 2018, would have set the stage to fulfill the longstanding desire of scientists to bring pieces of Mars back to Earth for close-up study with the full arsenal of instruments available in their laboratories. Now the prospect of bringing Martian rocks to Earth is likely pushed to the mid- or late 2020s, all because of budget cuts.

“The pipeline is being shut off, and that’s not what anyone wants,” said Bill Nye, executive director of the Planetary Society, a nonprofit group founded by Carl Sagan and others who wanted to foster interest in outer space. “We are closer than anyone has ever been to discovering life on another world.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/13/science/space/life-on-mars-funds-for-nasa-to-find-the-answer-fade.html

I know we don't have the money but I still think it's a shame. It would really be something to find out more about Mars and the possibility of primitive life there.

Peter1469
03-14-2012, 03:41 PM
We will be wondering how to pay for entitlement programs while China is bringing home hundreds of trillions of dollars worth of minerals from the moon.

MMC
03-14-2012, 04:03 PM
Yes this is one program I disagree with them cutting.....I say Cut Clinton and Bush's Secret Service. Then anyone else who is out of office. Get rid of the US Marshals Office. We don't need these guys to transport Prisoners and investigate federal crimes. Thats what the FBI is for.

Peter1469
03-14-2012, 04:05 PM
The FBI won't shuttle prisoners around.

MMC
03-14-2012, 04:20 PM
The FBI won't shuttle prisoners around.

Well they will need to Multi-task to get that 40hrs in.....especially with the way things are going. :wink:

spunkloaf
03-15-2012, 01:03 AM
It is sad. Here's an idea. Why not mandate that the bailed-out institutions fund such non-pressing yet important ventures with portions of their profits? I like it.