PDA

View Full Version : When The Kochs Gave To Democrats...

Green Arrow
03-20-2014, 05:26 AM
via Politico (http://www.politico.com/story/2014/03/koch-brothers-democrats-104787.html):

The Koch brothers are the Democrats' public enemy No. 1. But there was a time not too long ago that billionaires Charles and David Koch were modest Democratic Party donors.

Though the Kochs have poured untold millions into conservative and libertarian causes over the years, the political action committee for their privately held Koch Industries also has given money through the years to Democratic causes and candidates -- including Mark Pryor, Mary Landrieu and Chuck Schumer -- as part of the influence-peddling game that many corporations and wealthy donors play.

Those donations from Koch Industries Inc. Political Action Committee, or KochPAC, include nearly $200,000 to Democratic candidates and committees as recently as 2010 -- including a $30,000 donation to the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee.
Chris, like I said...the Kochs are just as slimy as Thiel.

Libhater
03-20-2014, 06:16 AM
via Politico (http://www.politico.com/story/2014/03/koch-brothers-democrats-104787.html):

@Chris (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=128), like I said...the Kochs are just as slimy as Thiel.

You seem to have a problem with people donating to political parties. Do you hold such notable political doners as the multi
billionaire George Soros and the all of the public unions who donate almost exclusively to the Democrap party in such
high esteem. You need to spread the love around equally.

Green Arrow
03-20-2014, 06:20 AM
You seem to have a problem with people donating to political parties. Do you hold such notable political doners as the multi
billionaire George Soros and the all of the public unions who donate almost exclusively to the Democrap party in such

I don't like Soros either. I also don't support Democrats or Republicans. Unlike you, my hands are clean of hypocrisy on these matters.

Libhater
03-20-2014, 06:59 AM
I don't like Soros either. I also don't support Democrats or Republicans. Unlike you, my hands are clean of hypocrisy on these matters.

The one person on this forum who is straight forward on his beliefs and party affiliation without ever waving would be me, so the word hypocrite isn't a part of my lexicon unless
I'm using it to describe someone else.

Green Arrow
03-20-2014, 07:00 AM
The one person on this forum who is straight forward on his beliefs and party affiliation without ever waving would be me, so the word hypocrite isn't a part of my lexicon unless
I'm using it to describe someone else.

I, too, am straightforward on my beliefs and lack of a party affiliation without ever wavering.

Chris
03-20-2014, 07:33 AM

Chris, like I said...the Kochs are just as slimy as Thiel.

Already posted similar from MotherJones.

Here's the thing though, campaign donations may or may not tie to crony corrupt political favors. This needs to be shown for the Kochs and Theil and whoever else.

Cigar
03-20-2014, 07:40 AM
I remember when my father was a Dallas Cowboy's Fan :laugh:

Green Arrow
03-20-2014, 07:42 AM
I remember when my father was a Dallas Cowboy's Fan :laugh:

What's this got to do with the point?

Cigar
03-20-2014, 07:46 AM
What's this got to do with the point?

Compared to what The Koch Suckers gave to The RepThugs, $230k is pocket change.

So they bought something from a couple Democratic Thugs, changes no facts about the Koch Brothers.

Chris
03-20-2014, 07:49 AM

So they bought something from a couple Democratic Thugs, changes no facts about the Koch Brothers.

^^That I think represent progressive thinking. While Green and I and others are concerned about the potential for corruption from contributions purchasing political favors, progressives are only concerned with influencing voting--get them elected and let them hand out the favors.

Green Arrow
03-20-2014, 07:50 AM

So the bought something from a coupe Democratic Thugs, changes no facts about the Koch Brothers.

That was just one donation in one year, not the grand total of their contributions to Hypocrats. And their donations were mostly to the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, the Democrat arm that gets Democrats elected to the Senate. Are Senators Landrieu, Pryor, and Schumer thugs?

Cigar
03-20-2014, 07:53 AM
That was just one donation in one year, not the grand total of their contributions to Hypocrats. And their donations were mostly to the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, the Democrat arm that gets Democrats elected to the Senate. Are Senators Landrieu, Pryor, and Schumer thugs?

If you're try to give the impression that the Koch Brothers give just as much money to Conservative as they do Liberals ... really dude, do you really want to believe that, so bad?

Green Arrow
03-20-2014, 07:56 AM
If you're try to give the impression that the Koch Brothers give just as much money to Conservative as they do Liberals ... really dude, do you really want to believe that, so bad?

Can you point out where I said they gave just as much to both parties?

Cigar
03-20-2014, 08:20 AM
http://synd.imgsrv.uclick.com/comics/sc/2014/sc140319.gif

Green Arrow
03-20-2014, 08:22 AM
http://synd.imgsrv.uclick.com/comics/sc/2014/sc140319.gif

Stick to the topic or GTFO. I won't be tolerating your nonsense in my threads. Pull that shit with someone else.

Peter1469
03-20-2014, 09:19 AM
Warning: stay on topic please

kilgram
03-20-2014, 11:51 AM
They don't give money freely. They sponsor the parties in exchange of something. For something they are lobbies. And lobbies are not good.

Peter1469
03-20-2014, 11:59 AM
They don't give money freely. They sponsor the parties in exchange of something. For something they are lobbies. And lobbies are not good.

So if you have a problem and you want government to address it, it isn't good for you to communicate that to them (that is lobby....) :shocked:

Chris
03-20-2014, 12:56 PM

So if you have a problem and you want government to address it, it isn't good for you to communicate that to them (that is lobby....) :shocked:

Right, you can lobby to communicate, or you can contribute to help elect those you think favorable to regulations you want to see.

Corruption is only when deals are made: Contribute to my campaign and I'll see to it this or that regulation is passed.

The Sage of Main Street
03-20-2014, 03:57 PM
Stick to the topic or GTFO. I won't be tolerating your nonsense in my threads. Pull that shit with someone else.
De Massa done spoke. Git along, boy. Tote yaw log somewheres else, Cigar, and fetch dat barge. The ghosts is gonna git us iffen we don't shuffles along. No mo uppity sass about no Koch Bros. They is good with da hood.

texan
03-20-2014, 08:10 PM
Sounds like Cigar's father was a good man. What happened?

BTW the Koch Bro's buy whomever they want whenever they want and all politicians will take their call because most are whores.

Chris
03-21-2014, 07:46 AM
The Kochs make their political money count (http://news.yahoo.com/the-kochs-make-their-political-money-count-022742677.html)

...after taking a closer look at how they're spending this small part of their fortune, here's what I do know about the infamous Koch brothers: They are very, very smart when it comes to political investing. And the real problem for irate liberals is that their most avid contributors aren't.

Let's start with the idea, which I've advanced before, that the imbalance in political spending at the moment probably isn't quite as consequential, or as lasting, as a lot of liberal critics think it is. For one thing, as much as my colleagues in the media love to cover every new ad buy and every new database-driven marketing scheme as if it were the most "game-changing" political idea since the Magna Carta, the truth is that the week-to-week tactics of any given campaign matter less, in the end, than the daily experience of voters.

And there's a lot of reason to think that whatever advantage comes from what we call outside spending will shift back and forth between the parties, depending on which one finds itself out of power. The wealthy liberals George Soros and the late Peter Lewis started this trend in 2004, taking advantage of loopholes in the new campaign law, and conservatives surpassed them only after Barack Obama's election in 2008. We may not see anyone else spend quite as garishly as the Koch brothers anytime soon, but I'm guessing that the next time Democrats find themselves outside the White House looking in, some new progressive philanthropist will emerge to bankroll a comeback.

That said, there are different ways to invest that kind of outside money, and some are more effective than others. According to Politico, Michael Bloomberg dumped $15 million into gun control messaging last year, and for all the good it did, he probably should have just bought himself another mayoralty (maybe in Washington, which could use him right now). The liberal billionaire Tom Steyer has said he's going to spend $100 million pleading with people to care more about climate change. Well, OK — no harm there, I guess.

The Koch brothers, on the other hand, have it figured out. It's hard to say exactly how much money they're spending, especially since a lot of it remains undisclosed, thanks to the abject senselessness of campaign finance laws; a spokesman told my Yahoo News colleague Chris Moody, who follows this stuff closely, that the Kochs have already parted with more than $30 million in the 2014 cycle. What's striking, though, is how intensely local their focus is.

Think about it: You can spend $30 million trying to get a president elected, and it will make some difference for sure, but only some in a campaign where each side will spend something like $1 billion, clogging up every obscure cable channel with every imaginable kind of ad. But if you drop, say, $1 million into a competitive congressional race where ads are cheap and where the candidates and party committees might end up spending all of $3 million combined, you can basically own the conversation.

And so the Kochs are spreading their money around to where it gives them the biggest bang for the buck....

The Sage of Main Street
03-21-2014, 09:45 AM
De Massa done spoke. Git along, boy. Tote you log somewheres else, Cigar, and fetch dat bale. The ghosts is gonna git us iffen we don't shuffles along. No mo uppity sass about no Koch Bros. Them No Limit Plutes is good with de hood.

Lawdy, lawdy! Lass night I seen ghosts wearing hoods use magic to set de Cross on fire. Poor Jesus, he burned to a crisp, black like me. We is cursed, all cuz that uppity Cigar dint show no respect to the Koch Bros. Lawdy, lawdy!