PDA

View Full Version : It’s Working Despite Misinformation

Cigar
03-21-2014, 11:02 AM
Robert Reich, the secretary of labor in the Clinton administration, is Chancellor's professor of public policy at the University of California, Berkeley and the co-creator of the film "Inequality for All."

Some of the confusion has been deliberately sown by outside groups that, in the wake of “Citizen’s United," have been free to spend large amounts of money to undermine the law.

Early indications are the Affordable Care Act is working. With less than two weeks remaining before the March 31 deadline for coverage this year, five million people have already signed up. After decades of rising percentages of Americans lacking health insurance, the uninsured rate has dropped to its lowest levels since 2008...health care costs have slowed dramatically. The new law may well be contributing to this slowdown by reducing Medicare overpayments to medical providers and private insurers, and creating incentives for hospitals and doctors to improve quality of care.

But a lot about the Affordable Care Act needs fixing – especially the widespread confusion and misinformation that continues to surround it. For example, a majority of business owners with fewer than 50 workers still think they’re required to offer insurance or pay a penalty. (In fact, the law applies only to businesses with 50 or more employees who work more than 30 hours a week). And many companies with fewer than 25 workers still don’t realize that if they offer plans they can qualify for subsidies in the form of tax credits.

Many individuals remain confused and frightened. Forty-one percent of Americans who are still uninsured say they plan to remain that way. They believe it will be cheaper to pay a penalty than buy insurance. Many of these people are unaware of the subsidies available to them. Signups have been particularly disappointing among Hispanics.

But even here, remedies could evolve. States might use their state-run exchanges to funnel so many applicants to a single, low-cost insurer that the insurer becomes, in effect, a single payer. Vermont is already moving in this direction, and California may be next. In this way, the Affordable Care Act could become a back door to a single-payer system – every conservative’s worst nightmare.

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2014/03/20/obamacares-four-year-checkup/the-affordable-care-act-is-working-despite-misinformation

hanger4
03-21-2014, 12:46 PM
5mil may have signed up, but 5mil have not paid for enrollment. All HHS has to do is release those #'s. Wonder why ?? Could it be 20, 30, 40% haven't paid ?? Then they (Feds) couldn't lie about how well ACA is working.

Cigar
03-21-2014, 01:15 PM
5mil may have signed up, but 5mil have not paid for enrollment. All HHS has to do is release those #'s. Wonder why ?? Could it be 20, 30, 40% haven't paid ?? Then they (Feds) couldn't lie about how well ACA is working.

Ok will April 31st be good enough for you?

Knowing insurance companies like I do ... they won't let you go more than 30 days late for a first payment and still have you covered.

I'm just dieing you hear the excuses after that. :laugh:

hanger4
03-21-2014, 01:37 PM
Ok will April 31st be good enough for you?Knowing insurance companies like I do ... they won't let you go more than 30 days late for a first payment and still have you covered. I'm just dieing you hear the excuses after that. :laugh:Dead lines mean nothing in relation to who/whom is enrolled. HHS has the #'s Cigar why won't they release them ??

Cigar
03-21-2014, 01:45 PM
Dead lines mean nothing in relation to who/whom is enrolled. HHS has the #'s Cigar why won't they release them ??

Ok ... so are you willing to say after May ... that Insurance Companies that Barack Obama doesn't own, will have Numbers you won't deny?

hanger4
03-21-2014, 02:18 PM
Ok ... so are you willing to say after May ... that Insurance Companies that Barack Obama doesn't own, will have Numbers you won't deny?They have the numbers NOW and so does HHS, it's in the ACA law. Even Reich said ''signed up'' not enrolled, he's feeding the dims and other low information twits (like you) a round of BS.

zelmo1234
03-21-2014, 02:36 PM
Ok will April 31st be good enough for you?

Knowing insurance companies like I do ... they won't let you go more than 30 days late for a first payment and still have you covered.

I'm just dieing you hear the excuses after that. :laugh:

Hell no wonder it is working so well, the democrats just added a day to April! Last time I checked there were on 30 days in April

1751_Texan
03-21-2014, 04:27 PM
There are plenty of GOP, conservatives whom do not accept the SSA or Medicare today...ACA will be added to the list.

Green Arrow
03-22-2014, 07:24 AM
I've asked this question before, Cigar, and you and your cronies have yet to answer it.

Why should I like Obamacare? I have little to no income, so I can't afford healthcare on my own. I technically live with my parents, so I can't qualify for federal subsidies. Without health insurance, I'll have to pay the tax penalty. Considering I'm barely supporting myself as it is, the penalty is going to be another financial burden to push me down even farther.

How is this supposed to help me?

Peter1469
03-22-2014, 07:45 AM
I've asked this question before, Cigar, and you and your cronies have yet to answer it.

Why should I like Obamacare? I have little to no income, so I can't afford healthcare on my own. I technically live with my parents, so I can't qualify for federal subsidies. Without health insurance, I'll have to pay the tax penalty. Considering I'm barely supporting myself as it is, the penalty is going to be another financial burden to push me down even farther.

How is this supposed to help me?

Are you under the age of 26?

Green Arrow
03-22-2014, 07:48 AM
Are you under the age of 26?

I'm 22, and I know where you're going with this. My dad doesn't have insurance. My mom does, but it's through the state and only for her, in order to keep it essentially free (which is all we can afford), she alone gets it. My dad can't afford insurance for himself, let alone for us boys too.

Peter1469
03-22-2014, 08:03 AM
Got it. I am sure that Cigar will have some useful advice. :smiley:

patrickt
03-22-2014, 09:26 AM
I am 73. I'm uninsured. I'm not eligible for Medicare. One purpose of Medicare was to relieve insurance companies of the burden of insuring old people while retaining the lucrative "supplemental" insurance market. I will not buy Medicare. To get part A and part B it would be $573 a month. There would be a $1,216 deductible for each benefit period. Plus, I can't use Medicare in Mexico, where I live. Most old gringos fly back to the U.S. so they can use Medicare and other subsidized programs. So, I'll stay uninsured until I die. I think living permanently outside the U.S. will protect me from Obamacare's revenge.

Cigar is sweetly innocent. He not only believes Obama but he still thinks the Tooth Fairy took his tooth and left the quarter.