PDA

View Full Version : When I was a kid in 1970 they told us Galveston Island was sinking

texan
03-22-2014, 05:33 PM
In 30 years or so it would be underwater. It wasn't to long ago that I stood on the same Pier and fished. They are still saying to this day and now its in 60 more years.

LOL

Now we have 17 straight years of no warming according to experts and this year will likely show cooling. Just search it there are several sources. The so called 98% of the "credible" climate experts that get grant money for this just keep lying.

LOL

When will the hysterical money making liars stop?

sachem
03-22-2014, 05:35 PM
When I was a child they told me the moon was made of cheese.

Peter1469
03-22-2014, 05:36 PM
In 30 years or so it would be underwater. It wasn't to long ago that I stood on the same Pier and fished. They are still saying to this day and now its in 60 more years.

LOL

Now we have 17 straight years of no warming according to experts and this year will likely show cooling. Just search it there are several sources. The so called 98% of the "credible" climate experts that get grant money for this just keep lying.

LOL

Many say similar things about New Orleans.

Bob
03-22-2014, 06:37 PM
When I was a child they told me the moon was made of cheese.

Were you raised in Wisconsin?

texan
03-23-2014, 11:01 PM
Just follow the money.

Contrails
03-24-2014, 12:20 PM

LOL

LOL

Whoever told you 30 years must have gotten their decimal point in the wrong place. Galveston Island is subsiding into the Gulf (http://www.texasobserver.org/2617-that-sinking-feeling-the-waters-rising-the-islands-subsiding-and-galveston-keeps-on-building/) at the rate of 1/4 inch per year (http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sltrends/sltrends_update.shtml?stnid=8771510). With an average elevation of only 7 feet, expect most of it to be underwater in about 300 years.

patrickt
03-24-2014, 02:01 PM
When I was in junior high, in 1951 or so, a teacher said that by the year 2,000 there would be standing room only on earth. He "proved" it with statistics. How's that going, Chuck?

I remember a kid on television in the late 1980s crying that the earth would be destroyed before the year 2,000.

Remember the book The Population Bomb? How about Rachel Carson's Silent Spring which did go a long way to killing 30,000,000 babies from malaria?

My personal favorite is from the Seventh Day Adventists. They've repeatedly predicted the end of the earth and as they day comes and goes they don't lose faith. They just pick a new date.

So far, absolutely none of the hysterical doomsday prophecies has come to pass. I think the people teaching this crap should go to prison. VP Al Gore could be a trustee.

sachem
03-24-2014, 04:27 PM
Hey, gotta sell the books. Doesn't necessarily mean everything they say is wrong, or right.

Bob
03-24-2014, 04:41 PM
When I was in junior high, in 1951 or so, a teacher said that by the year 2,000 there would be standing room only on earth. He "proved" it with statistics. How's that going, Chuck?

I remember a kid on television in the late 1980s crying that the earth would be destroyed before the year 2,000.

Remember the book The Population Bomb? How about Rachel Carson's Silent Spring which did go a long way to killing 30,000,000 babies from malaria?

My personal favorite is from the Seventh Day Adventists. They're repeatedly predicted the end of the earth and as they day comes and goes they don't lose faith. They just pick a new date.

So far, absolutely none of the hysterical doomsday prophecies has come to pass. I think the people teaching this crap should go to prison. VP Al Gore could be a trustee.

I was married to a Jehovah Witness for several years and if you check, I believe you are speaking of them and not the Seventh Day Adventists.

Even this past week, my former wife's also former husband (her #2, I was #3) still in that church tells me the end is about to come.

He showed up with videos from his church, expecting me to watch them. I had something from my church with an invite to learn about my church so I slipped that into the DVD pack so when somebody opened it up thinking they were reading about his church, they would read about my church. :grin:

Bob
03-24-2014, 04:44 PM
Hey, gotta sell the books. Doesn't necessarily mean everything they say is wrong, or right.

It is surprising the way those doom and gloom books sell.

As to Galveston sinking out of sight? Were I there, it would be time to solve the problem, not write books about it or tell tales.

Take Venice for instance. It sits over water. It was built in the first place by pile drivers wanting to have a place to live but none was available on land.

sachem
03-24-2014, 04:46 PM
The frightening is always more interesting than the happy, smiley stuff. Human nature??

sachem
03-24-2014, 04:47 PM
Were you raised in Wisconsin?lol.....no.

patrickt
03-24-2014, 04:50 PM
My ex-wife was Seventh-Day Adventist. In all fairness, it wasn't the mainstream Seventh-Day Adventist. It was more the David Koresh type. Possibly the Herbert W. Armstrong type. Her group definitely was eagerly awaiting the end.

But, to be quite honest, listening to various sects quibble about insignificant details of their beliefs are no more interesting to me than listening to the various sects of communism bicker.

Bob
03-24-2014, 04:57 PM
The frightening is always more interesting than the happy, smiley stuff. Human nature??

Why do they need villains to have a good story?

We need them.

Bob
03-24-2014, 05:30 PM
My ex-wife was Seventh-Day Adventist. In all fairness, it wasn't the mainstream Seventh-Day Adventist. It was more the David Koresh type. Possibly the Herbert W. Armstrong type. Her group definitely was eagerly awaiting the end.

But, to be quite honest, listening to various sects quibble about insignificant details of their beliefs are no more interesting to me than listening to the various sects of communism bicker.

In my business, I run into all sorts of religions. When I was training for my pilot's license, I met a very nice guy called Vaughn G. He had me meet his wife. They were Seventh Day Adventists and I had a dinner with them at their home. (no commentary is intended to reflect poorly on a church, nor the husband)

She sure was a wild woman. Vaughn got up to check on their children and she was on the sofa sitting by me and he no sooner gets out the door and she snuggles me and asks me, What are WE going to do about US?

I was shocked to say the least, not wanting to think she was asking me to commit adultery.

Turns out that is precisely what she meant.

Well, I sold them a home in a CA city.

Later they called a relative, also a broker, who sold it for them. He was not happy i sold them the home.

They took off for Napa Valley where her dad owned property.

Anyway, the short of this tale is one nice day, I was doing something to a rental home and I got told by somebody to call his wife.

I get her on the phone (pre cell phone days) and she announces that Vaughn and one of their children died the day before in a plane crash. Then she blurts out, Bob, now we can get married.

I was in shock he and their daughter got killed so her other remark stunned me.

I don't blame her church for how she acted. Also, to make it clear, at no time did we have sex. She made no bones about what she wanted but I was not like that.

I drove up for the funeral and saw her at that time.

Sadly, I also drove to the crash site and the airplane frame was still there.

Something went wrong with the engine from the looks of it (I later heard he had water in his fuel), so trying to land it, he had lost power and decided to try to land on a dirt road. His wheels contacted a fence which spun the airplane into a tree where it exploded and burned violently.

sachem
03-24-2014, 05:43 PM
In my business, I run into all sorts of religions. When I was training for my pilot's license, I met a very nice guy called Vaughn G. He had me meet his wife. They were Seventh Day Adventists and I had a dinner with them at their home. (no commentary is intended to reflect poorly on a church, nor the husband)

She sure was a wild woman. Vaughn got up to check on their children and she was on the sofa sitting by me and he no sooner gets out the door and she snuggles me and asks me, What are WE going to do about US?

I was shocked to say the least, not wanting to think she was asking me to commit adultery.

Turns out that is precisely what she meant.

Well, I sold them a home in a CA city.

Later they called a relative, also a broker, who sold it for them. He was not happy i sold them the home.

They took off for Napa Valley where her dad owned property.

Anyway, the short of this tale is one nice day, I was doing something to a rental home and I got told by somebody to call his wife.

I get her on the phone (pre cell phone days) and she announces that Vaughn and one of their children died the day before in a plane crash. Then she blurts out, Bob, now we can get married.

I was in shock he and their daughter got killed so her other remark stunned me.

I don't blame her church for how she acted. Also, to make it clear, at no time did we have sex. She made no bones about what she wanted but I was not like that.

I drove up for the funeral and saw her at that time.

Sadly, I also drove to the crash site and the airplane frame was still there.

Something went wrong with the engine from the looks of it (I later heard he had water in his fuel), so trying to land it, he had lost power and decided to try to land on a dirt road. His wheels contacted a fence which spun the airplane into a tree where it exploded and burned violently.She sounds mentally ill. I don't think that has anything to do with her religion.

Not that a woman would have to be mentally ill to want you, Bob. ;)