PDA

View Full Version : Cultural stereotypes may be deep rooted in our genetic makeup, say scientists.

Mister D
03-15-2012, 11:55 AM
This has long been suspected. -----Chiao and her colleagues combined data from global genetic surveys, looking at variations in the prevalence of various genes. The findings were matched with other research which ranked nations by levels of individualism and collectivism.The team focused their attentions on the gene that controls levels of serotonin, a chemical in the brain which regulates mood and emotions. Their studies found that one version of the gene was far more common in western populations which, they said, was associated with individualistic and free-thinking behaviour.Another version of the same gene, which was prevalent in Asian populations, they said was associated with collectivism and a greater willingness to put the common good first. People with this gene appeared to have a different response to serotonin.If they are confirmed, the findings made by Chiao and her colleagues would suggest that races may have a number of inherent psychological differences — just as they differ in physical appearances. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2113350/Why-individualism-free-thinking-genes-British-people.html

MMC
03-15-2012, 12:20 PM
I would think there would be other factors to identify this with even a stronger association. Do you think they should make a better type of comparison rather than just by genes? Like such as those in Urban settings over those from rural or isolated settings.

Seratonin based drugs all dealing with what the West calls depression and whatever else Americans come up with as a some sort of diorder. That would be like Paxil, Serazone, Prosaic, and or any medications affecting seratonin levels in the brain.

Also I would think those in the East would use less psychological services.

Mister D
03-15-2012, 12:32 PM
I would think there would be other factors to identify this with even a stronger association. Do you think they should make a better type of comparison rather than just by genes? Like such as those in Urban settings over those from rural or isolated settings.

Seratonin based drugs all dealing with what the West calls depression and whatever else Americans come up with as a some sort of diorder. That would be like Paxil, Serazone, Prosaic, and or any medications affecting seratonin levels in the brain.

Also I would think those in the East would use less psychological services.

The correlation between the two variations of the gene mentioned and observed cultural differences are suggestive. Moreover, the idea that genes impact culture is hardly controversial at this point.

MMC
03-15-2012, 12:47 PM
So you take that as a given? Still those who live in urban environments are dealing with way more stress levels than those in rural and isolated settings. So Seratonin levels would be affected even moreso with those in that urban setting. Despite cultural and or ethnicisities(sp)

Mister D
03-15-2012, 01:13 PM
So you take that as a given? Still those who live in urban environments are dealing with way more stress levels than those in rural and isolated settings. So Seratonin levels would be affected even moreso with those in that urban setting. Despite cultural and or ethnicisities(sp)

Take what as a given? That genes impact culture? That's what much research suggests. That's not controversial. I'm not sure what urban versus rural has to do with any of this. The focus is on a particular gene that controls seratonin levels. One variant of this gene is prevalent among westerners and another is prevalent among east Asians.

MMC
03-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Well I thought that such might affect the seratonin wherein an alteration took place in the dna. Especially if it was doing so for hundreds of years. Know what I mean?

Mister D
03-15-2012, 01:48 PM
Well I thought that such might affect the seratonin wherein an alteration took place in the dna. Especially if it was doing so for hundreds of years. Know what I mean?

The distribution of said genes likely predates the level of urbanization we see today by thousands of years. In any case, it's not about high or low seratonin levels but our reaction to seratonin.