PDA

View Full Version : Common core looks terrible

Bob
03-26-2014, 02:32 AM
http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/common-core-parent-facebook-post-indiana-school-181841158.html

A Facebook update from a father frustrated with the Common Core math program (http://www.glennbeck.com/2014/03/25/check-out-this-frustrated-fathers-response-to-his-childs-common-core-homework/) at his son's school is making the Internet rounds after the father Jeff Severt expressed (via what looks like a kid's homework assignment) how convoluted the teaching approach is.

The worksheet posted to Facebook shows the elaborate Common Core (CC) formula for solving a math problem (as opposed to the simple strategy of subtracting the smaller number from the larger one). It instructs the student to explain why a fictional kid named "Jack" should be using common core strategies to solve the problem: “Jack used the number line below to solve 427 - 316. Find his error. Then write a letter to Jack telling him what he did right, and what he should do to fix his mistake.”

Severt's response reads, “Dear Jack, Don’t feel bad. I have a Bachelor of Science Degree in Electronics Engineering, which included extensive study in differential equations and other higher math applications. Even I cannot explain the Common Core mathematics approach, nor get the answer correct. In the real world, simplification is valued over complication. Therefore, 427 - 316 = 111. The answer is solved in under 5 seconds — 111. The process used is ridiculous and would result in termination if used. Sincerely, Frustrated Parent.”

Peter1469
03-26-2014, 05:00 AM
My mom was telling me about common core yesterday. She thinks it is a plot to destroy education in the US.

Green Arrow
03-26-2014, 06:44 AM
Of course it's terrible. It's taking the problem with our education system and putting it on steroids.

patrickt
03-26-2014, 07:07 AM
A corporation's efforts should be aimed at servicing the customers. When it starts servicing itself it's on a path to destruction. The same thing applies to government and local governments can sometimes provide services. The more remote the government gets the more it tends to service itself.

Green Arrow
03-26-2014, 07:14 AM
A corporation's efforts should be aimed at servicing the customers. When it starts servicing itself it's on a path to destruction. The same thing applies to government and local governments can sometimes provide services. The more remote the government gets the more it tends to service itself.

I like this post, because it's spot on. Interestingly enough, big corporations are spending lots of money defending Common Core.