PDA

View Full Version : Does Alaska wish to secede and join Russia?

pjohns
03-26-2014, 11:55 PM
There are those (oftentimes Russophiles) who appear to believe that the secession of Crimea, and its immediate annexation by Russia, is merely an expression of self-determination by the people of Crimea.

Well, that begs the question: Would it be perfectly okay for a part of the United States to secede and hookup with Russia?

It is not merely a theoretical question.

From UPI:

A petition seeking the secession of Alaska back to Russia received more than 10,000 signatures in three days and is well on its way to getting enough signers to require an official response from the White House.

The "Alaska Back to Russia" petition was created by an unnamed Anchorage resident (S.V.) last week and it has already gotten more than 18,000 signatures. The petition needs 100,000 signers by April 20 to warrant a response from the Obama administration.

Here is the link: 'Alaska Back to Russia' petition gets 10,000 signatures in three days - UPI.com (http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2014/03/24/Alaska-petition-seeking-secession-back-to-Russia-gets-10000-signatures-in-three-days/4791395684800/?spt=mps&or=1)

Green Arrow
03-27-2014, 12:51 AM
Why not?

I think a better question is...would Russia even want Alaska? I don't know why we haven't given it to Canada already.

pjohns
03-27-2014, 01:44 AM
I think a better question is...would Russia even want Alaska?

Well, it certainly would appear to want Siberia...

Green Arrow
03-27-2014, 01:45 AM
Well, it certainly would appear to want Siberia...

Touché :tongue:

Peter1469
03-27-2014, 06:35 AM
What do you believe the procedures are in the US for a state to secede from the United States?

There are those (oftentimes Russophiles) who appear to believe that the secession of Crimea, and its immediate annexation by Russia, is merely an expression of self-determination by the people of Crimea.

Well, that begs the question: Would it be perfectly okay for a part of the United States to secede and hookup with Russia?

It is not merely a theoretical question.

From UPI:

Here is the link: 'Alaska Back to Russia' petition gets 10,000 signatures in three days - UPI.com (http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2014/03/24/Alaska-petition-seeking-secession-back-to-Russia-gets-10000-signatures-in-three-days/4791395684800/?spt=mps&or=1)

Green Arrow
03-27-2014, 06:39 AM
What do you believe the procedures are in the US for a state to secede from the United States?

Is there one?

Peter1469
03-27-2014, 07:05 AM
Is there one?

No. I would suggest the reverse process to become a state.

pjohns
03-27-2014, 08:06 PM

Fair question.

Contrary to popular belief, I do not think that the Civil War (from about 150 years ago) forever "proved" that a state may not secede from the Union. If the old Confederacy was right about nothing else--and it was certainly not right about one of the core issues prompting this horrible conflict: the institution of slavery--it was, at least, correct about the matter of the right to secession, in my opinion. (Remember, the US federal government did not create the states, but vice-versa; and the creation should never be regarded as greater than its creator, it seems to me.)

Still, the very idea of a state's seceding and then joining Russia is so utterly repellent to me that the very thought of it makes me want to throw up. Perhaps it is a purely visceral reaction, rather than an engagement in intellectual gymnastics; but that is the way I feel, nonetheless...