PDA

View Full Version : First Doctor Visit in Five Years: Why Repubs Want Us Broke or Dead

Cigar
03-27-2014, 08:14 AM
First Doctor Visit in Five Years: Why Repubs Want Us Broke or Dead (http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/03/26/1287424/-First-Doctor-Visit-in-Five-Years-Why-Repubs-Want-Us-Broke-or-Dead)
I went to the doctor for the first time in five years today. Although I'm young, I had neglected a couple of health issues for at least a year. I couldn't afford care and was left hoping none of them developed into anything more serious. As a small business owner who narrowly missed the threshold for buying on the exchanges, I'm enrolled in Medicaid for this year until I can bump my income up a bit. The day my confirmation of benefits and card came was among the best of my life. I nearly broke down in tears.

But that isn't what this diary is about. Today, I went to the doctor for the first time in five years and saw first hand why Republicans have fought tooth and nail for a system that was so broken for every single stakeholder - except the insurers and the politicians who enable them.
What I found made my blood boil. Follow below the fold for a living example of what our "health care system" could have done to me and millions of others before the ACA. Let's just say the cheesy poof holding the fold would have been more than the food in my pantry.

My state has done fairly well with the Medicaid expansion, minus some delays in processing paperwork that might be expected in such a situation. Accordingly, last week I received my confirmation- albeit more than two weeks after I supposedly had coverage. When the doctor called this morning to say they couldn't find me in the Medicaid system, I spent an hour or so on the phone straightening things out. The folks from the local social services office were pleasant, helpful, and identified the problem quickly: a glitch on their end they promised would be fixed overnight. I couldn't complain. I know these caseworkers must be under an immense load and mistakes happen. Besides, I was just happy to have coverage.

The catch was that I'd have to be reimbursed for today's visit because I wouldn't show in the system until tomorrow. No big deal. But it was this that gave me a peak inside the profits Republicans are paid so well to protect.

With my doctor aware of the problem and its pending solution, my paperwork and appointment went smoothly. However, I spent nearly the entire ordeal wondering how this would have ended for someone less fortunate than myself. And how different it might have been for me and so many others a matter or months ago.

You see, I'm not in great shape financially but I make 10-15 bucks an hour catering for my company and working at a local gym (free membership!). Even with income equal to or greater than mine, what I found would be and undoubtedly has been horrifying for a great number of Americans.

Of course, payments these days must be made prior to service. The visibly concerned receptionist informed me my visit was $135. If we assume a $10 wage, what I make at the gym and the minimum wage proposal conservatives are throwing hissy fits over, that's 13.5 hours of work. I only spent about 20 minutes in the office but fair enough- doctors work hard and people's lives depend on them.

But, my doc also wanted me to get routine blood work done, something he said should be standard for everyone at some point before they turn 30. As he handed me the sheet to give to the lab, he raised his eyebrows and said: "Make 100% sure your Medicaid is worked out before going for this". Why? "Because", he then said, "It'd cost over $1000 out of pocket". So, had I gone anytime during the last 5 years, how many hours of work would that be at my wage? We'll take that nice round number and forget the "over" part. Easy math: $1000/$10 an hour = 100 hours.

But that wasn't it. It turned out I needed a script for one of the recurring issues I'd been forced to ignore. He handed me that after the lab paperwork and said "Same with this- You'd be looking at about $300 a month". I thanked him for the prescription and advice, as the wheels in my mind spun to do the math. $300 × 12 is $3600 a year. Or 360 hours of work at my wage.

Hang with me as I do the math here on paper. It isn't a small number.

13.5 hours of work for the visit + 100 hours for standard preventative lab work + 360 hours for one year of a generic medication = 473.5 hours of work.

At 40 hours a week, that's nearly 12 weeks of work. Or 3 full months. IF you can find full-time work. For one visit, normal lab work, and a necessary medication.
Let that sink in.

That doesn't include food, housing, transportation, or any other necessity. It doesn't include follow up appointments or the physical they insist on. It certainly doesn't include the financial flexibility to stimulate the economy through purchasing a home, shopping for retail goods, or starting a family.

But, it makes the insurers incredibly rich while any serious illness the last five years would have killed me financially, physically, or both. This is what they're fighting to protect. Republicans want to go back to a system where people like you, me and millions of others either die quickly or mortgage our financial futures for basic medical care.

They'd love to make us work 473 hours for a visit, some blood work, and a single medication. How many House ACA repeal votes now? And how many "replacement plans"? They'll fight with fervor to return us all to that standard, to enrich their owners and themselves while we die, until we fight back. Until we win.

That means fighting to protect and strengthen the law that allowed me to get there today. It may not be perfect but its a hell of a lot better than allowing a group of immoral insurers and politicians to kill us, at the bank and in our bodies, so they can live the high life.

And if those snakes running the insurance company cartels think the ACA was rough for them, they'd better wait to see what we do when we run the scum that work for them out of office. I'll be happy to show them catastrophic. I'll be happier to grin and pull the plug on an ugly industry when we finally achieve single payer. But for now, I'm happy to have coverage and relieved so many no longer have to work hundreds of hours to secure what should be a fundamental human right.
Let's get to work.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/03/26/1287424/-First-Doctor-Visit-in-Five-Years-Why-Repubs-Want-Us-Broke-or-Dead?detail=email

What follows is the denials .... :wink:

Paperback Writer
03-27-2014, 08:17 AM
Sorry but this is laughable:

And if those snakes running the insurance company cartels think the ACA was rough for them, they'd better wait to see what we do when we run the scum that work for them out of office. I'll be happy to show them catastrophic. I'll be happier to grin and pull the plug on an ugly industry when we finally achieve single payer. But for now, I'm happy to have coverage and relieved so many no longer have to work hundreds of hours to secure what should be a fundamental human right.
Let's get to work.

Do you arses realise that it is Obama who handed those "snakes" a free meal for the next few years?

Americans are either the stupidest people on the planet or the most trusting. Not sure which.

patrickt
03-27-2014, 08:21 AM
Cigar, the ass you kiss is of the man who wants all Americans, except for the elites, of course, to be on food stamps and unemployed. Conservatives want everyone working and moving ahead. That would include those for home "work" is a four-letter word.

Matty
03-27-2014, 08:30 AM
Medicaid! What that says to me is that someone else has to get out of bed, sick or well pull his boots on, go to work and pay for your doctor visit. Yep!

Cigar
03-27-2014, 08:31 AM
Cigar, the ass you kiss is of the man who wants all Americans, except for the elites, of course, to be on food stamps and unemployed. Conservatives want everyone working and moving ahead. That would include those for home "work" is a four-letter word.

So that's the bases of your political retort? :laugh:

That explains The GOPs results. :wink:

https://d13ja4ud2claol.cloudfront.net/digital/email/ocare_repfaces_01.png
https://d13ja4ud2claol.cloudfront.net/digital/email/ocare_repfaces_02.jpg

Peter1469
03-27-2014, 08:31 AM
The Daily Kos is trash. The people who read it and like it, are [edit]. I tried to think of a right wing website that is as vile, but came up empty.

Cigar
03-27-2014, 08:33 AM
The Daily Kos is trash. The people who read it and like it, are [edit]. I tried to think of a right wing website that is as vile, but came up empty.

So ... what you're saying is, you don't believe any of that is true?

Not surprising and expected.

Cigar
03-27-2014, 08:34 AM
Medicaid! What that says to me is that someone else has to get out of bed, sick or well pull his boots on, go to work and pay for your doctor visit. Yep!

Some of those same people did the same for Two Wars :wink:

Paperback Writer
03-27-2014, 08:34 AM

And to pay for foreign adventurism that made Blackwater and Halliburton extremely wealthy firms!

Mainecoons
03-27-2014, 08:36 AM
Yep, medicaid. The big and only success of ObombedItCare is the expansion of free health care paid for by taxing others or printing money.

MrJimmyDale
03-27-2014, 08:38 AM
I would rather watch a douche infomercial than read any more of that...........

LWNJ

Matty
03-27-2014, 08:39 AM
Yep, medicaid. The big and only success of ObombedItCare is the expansion of free health care paid for by taxing others or printing money.
I don't know how democrats grew up thinking they were entitled to free stuff, but they do!

Peter1469
03-27-2014, 08:39 AM
So ... what you're saying is, you don't believe any of that is true?

Not surprising and expected.

Anything in the Daily Kos is highly massaged to fit a far left agenda. And you ask if it is "true." Meh.

Cigar
03-27-2014, 08:50 AM
Notice how reality affects the Conservative mind :laugh:

The Train has left the station and The GOP is looking backwards down the track :grin:

Paperback Writer
03-27-2014, 08:52 AM

The Train has left the station and The GOP is looking backwards down the track :grin:

Were you dropped on the head as a child? You're impervious to reality and truth.

The fact is the ACA is just forcing people to purchase insurance, and as of today most are refusing to do so. This is not the same as our system which is a national health insurance. You are under the mistaken impression, somehow, that it is.

No offence but that's just ignorance.

Peter1469
03-27-2014, 09:14 AM

That could have been cut and pasted from a master list of "witty responses." The problem is that it really isn't witty if it is out of context with the discussion. :shocked:

lynn
03-27-2014, 09:44 AM
First Doctor Visit in Five Years: Why Repubs Want Us Broke or Dead (http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/03/26/1287424/-First-Doctor-Visit-in-Five-Years-Why-Repubs-Want-Us-Broke-or-Dead)

I went to the doctor for the first time in five years today. Although I'm young, I had neglected a couple of health issues for at least a year. I couldn't afford care and was left hoping none of them developed into anything more serious. As a small business owner who narrowly missed the threshold for buying on the exchanges, I'm enrolled in Medicaid for this year until I can bump my income up a bit. The day my confirmation of benefits and card came was among the best of my life. I nearly broke down in tears.

But that isn't what this diary is about. Today, I went to the doctor for the first time in five years and saw first hand why Republicans have fought tooth and nail for a system that was so broken for every single stakeholder - except the insurers and the politicians who enable them.
What I found made my blood boil. Follow below the fold for a living example of what our "health care system" could have done to me and millions of others before the ACA. Let's just say the cheesy poof holding the fold would have been more than the food in my pantry.

My state has done fairly well with the Medicaid expansion, minus some delays in processing paperwork that might be expected in such a situation. Accordingly, last week I received my confirmation- albeit more than two weeks after I supposedly had coverage. When the doctor called this morning to say they couldn't find me in the Medicaid system, I spent an hour or so on the phone straightening things out. The folks from the local social services office were pleasant, helpful, and identified the problem quickly: a glitch on their end they promised would be fixed overnight. I couldn't complain. I know these caseworkers must be under an immense load and mistakes happen. Besides, I was just happy to have coverage.

The catch was that I'd have to be reimbursed for today's visit because I wouldn't show in the system until tomorrow. No big deal. But it was this that gave me a peak inside the profits Republicans are paid so well to protect.

With my doctor aware of the problem and its pending solution, my paperwork and appointment went smoothly. However, I spent nearly the entire ordeal wondering how this would have ended for someone less fortunate than myself. And how different it might have been for me and so many others a matter or months ago.

You see, I'm not in great shape financially but I make 10-15 bucks an hour catering for my company and working at a local gym (free membership!). Even with income equal to or greater than mine, what I found would be and undoubtedly has been horrifying for a great number of Americans.

Of course, payments these days must be made prior to service. The visibly concerned receptionist informed me my visit was $135. If we assume a $10 wage, what I make at the gym and the minimum wage proposal conservatives are throwing hissy fits over, that's 13.5 hours of work. I only spent about 20 minutes in the office but fair enough- doctors work hard and people's lives depend on them.

But, my doc also wanted me to get routine blood work done, something he said should be standard for everyone at some point before they turn 30. As he handed me the sheet to give to the lab, he raised his eyebrows and said: "Make 100% sure your Medicaid is worked out before going for this". Why? "Because", he then said, "It'd cost over $1000 out of pocket". So, had I gone anytime during the last 5 years, how many hours of work would that be at my wage? We'll take that nice round number and forget the "over" part. Easy math: $1000/$10 an hour = 100 hours.

But that wasn't it. It turned out I needed a script for one of the recurring issues I'd been forced to ignore. He handed me that after the lab paperwork and said "Same with this- You'd be looking at about $300 a month". I thanked him for the prescription and advice, as the wheels in my mind spun to do the math. $300 × 12 is $3600 a year. Or 360 hours of work at my wage.

13.5 hours of work for the visit + 100 hours for standard preventative lab work + 360 hours for one year of a generic medication = 473.5 hours of work.

At 40 hours a week, that's nearly 12 weeks of work. Or 3 full months. IF you can find full-time work. For one visit, normal lab work, and a necessary medication.
Let that sink in.

That doesn't include food, housing, transportation, or any other necessity. It doesn't include follow up appointments or the physical they insist on. It certainly doesn't include the financial flexibility to stimulate the economy through purchasing a home, shopping for retail goods, or starting a family.

But, it makes the insurers incredibly rich while any serious illness the last five years would have killed me financially, physically, or both. This is what they're fighting to protect. Republicans want to go back to a system where people like you, me and millions of others either die quickly or mortgage our financial futures for basic medical care.

They'd love to make us work 473 hours for a visit, some blood work, and a single medication. How many House ACA repeal votes now? And how many "replacement plans"? They'll fight with fervor to return us all to that standard, to enrich their owners and themselves while we die, until we fight back. Until we win.

That means fighting to protect and strengthen the law that allowed me to get there today. It may not be perfect but its a hell of a lot better than allowing a group of immoral insurers and politicians to kill us, at the bank and in our bodies, so they can live the high life.

Let's get to work.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/03/26/1287424/-First-Doctor-Visit-in-Five-Years-Why-Repubs-Want-Us-Broke-or-Dead?detail=email

I also had a doctor's visit charge of $150 and lab work charge was $933.25. I have United Healthcare and this is how it was paid:

Office visit $150 Insurance company paid $62.32, I paid $25 co-pay, doctor wrote off $62.68 per contract.
Lab work $933.25, insurance allowed $56.67, I paid $56.67 since it was applied to my deductible and the lab wrote off $867.58 per contract.

The health insurance company paid very little on this claim, I paid more then the insurance did and the provider of care gets screwed.

Captain Obvious
03-27-2014, 10:09 AM

Fox News is definitely right-wing slanted but I think they're for the most part a somewhat credible news source.

Brietbart would be a good one.

Or anything patrickt or Mainecoons cites.

Captain Obvious
03-27-2014, 10:10 AM
I would rather watch a douche infomercial than read any more of that...........

LWNJ

Actually that sounds kinda interesting.

Cigar
03-27-2014, 10:30 AM
Were you dropped on the head as a child? You're impervious to reality and truth.

The fact is the ACA is just forcing people to purchase insurance, and as of today most are refusing to do so. This is not the same as our system which is a national health insurance. You are under the mistaken impression, somehow, that it is.

Like I said numerous times before, no I was not dropped on my head; I was smacked on my ass, and as soon as I find the Doctor, I'm kicking his Ass.

BTW .. tell us "EXACTLY" how The ACA is affecting "YOU" ... "Personally"?

... and sense when do you give a shit about who has to be "Fiscally" Responsible for their Health Care?

Cigar
03-27-2014, 10:33 AM
I also had a doctor's visit charge of $150 and lab work charge was $933.25. I have United Healthcare and this is how it was paid:

Office visit $150 Insurance company paid $62.32, I paid $25 co-pay, doctor wrote off $62.68 per contract.
Lab work $933.25, insurance allowed $56.67, I paid $56.67 since it was applied to my deductible and the lab wrote off $867.58 per contract.

The health insurance company paid very little on this claim, I paid more then the insurance did and the provider of care gets screwed.

I have BCBH ... $20 is the most I ever have to pay ... I glance over the Bill every once in while ... but everything north of $20 is covered.

Bottom-Line ... if you don't have Good Insurance (not saying it's Cheap, because Insurance never has been Cheap) you're Fucked. The only difference now is, you're not at the mercy of those Blood -Sucker anymore.

Good Luck trying to take it away now.

The Xl
03-27-2014, 10:38 AM

You have to understand something, Paperback. Obama could literally start shooting cats in the street and this dolt would cheer. He already sends American soldiers to their demise, and Cigar cheers. He takes away civil liberties and Cigar cheers. He passes a handout to the insurance companies, not single payer, and he cheers.

It literally doesn't matter what Obama does, good, bad, to whatever degree, he'll cheer for him. Because Obama is a Democrat and a "black" "man." That's all he cares about on the matter.

lynn
03-27-2014, 04:51 PM
I have BCBH ... $20 is the most I ever have to pay ... I glance over the Bill every once in while ... but everything north of $20 is covered.

Bottom-Line ... if you don't have Good Insurance (not saying it's Cheap, because Insurance never has been Cheap) you're Fucked. The only difference now is, you're not at the mercy of those Blood -Sucker anymore.

Good Luck trying to take it away now.

Its through my husband's job at Wellsfargo Bank who are a self-insured employer. They pay 11,000 and that includes the $3700 taken out of my husband's paycheck for the year and WellsFargo then puts those funds into their own bank account for healthcare. They pay United Healthcare a 5% to 10% fee to administer the plan for their employees. We have a $3,000 deductible that is applied to any testing, procedures we have done. They will pay the physicians' office visit fee and we pay a $25 co-pay.

Heyduke
03-27-2014, 05:02 PM
Statistics show that the #1 reason for a doctor visit, overwhelmingly, is to seek treatment for a common cold. Effen just take it easy, drink some OJ mixed with water, and watch an entire season of Portlandia on Netflix. Problem solved.

The guy went to the doc for the first time in 5 years. Let me guess, they weighed him, measured the circumference of his head, asked him about diet and excercise, and made him fill out a pile of paperwork in duplicate. What a lifesaver.

Hopefully they didn't run extensive tests resulting in a false positive, or puncture his colon with a screening. Hopefully he's not one of the 720,000 Americans who will get an infection from a hospital this year.

Bob
03-27-2014, 05:23 PM

Let that sink in.

Let's get to work.

So, it wasn't you that saw the doctor.

I don't need to read your link to notice the glaring tips in the article.

Daily Kos is one tip.

The problem with health care never has been you can't buy insurance. A few can't, they claim, but have they explored all options. Maybe you resent making low wages. Isn't that your choice?

First, look at what you do buy.

Food for instance; clothes, probably a car and fuel.

Why can't you figure out how to see a doctor at a discount?

As to pills, I get them. I admit that I suck off the system.

Do you admit you suck off the system?

Actually, you seem resentful you don't suck off the system far more.

Bob
03-27-2014, 05:31 PM

Do you arses realise that it is Obama who handed those "snakes" a free meal for the next few years?

Americans are either the stupidest people on the planet or the most trusting. Not sure which.

The insurance industry is laughing all the way to the bank.

Bob
03-27-2014, 05:37 PM

I knew it ahead of time so resisted the man. But democrats want something for nothing and Obama persuaded them that this is how to get something for nothing. If they can't purchase insurance, he promises to give them money that belongs to other citizens.

Bob
03-27-2014, 05:39 PM

I fully agree.

Bob
03-27-2014, 05:40 PM

Democrats do not care.

Cigar
03-27-2014, 05:41 PM
I fully agree.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-VuhVsDNVms4/UORxVmUGoaI/AAAAAAAAATM/2hShebjxhlA/s400/bend+over.jpg

Cigar
03-27-2014, 05:41 PM
Democrats do not care about your Whining.

I agree ... :wink:

Bob
03-27-2014, 05:48 PM
Fox News is definitely right-wing slanted but I think they're for the most part a somewhat credible news source.

Brietbart would be a good one.

Or anything @patrickt (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=348) or @Mainecoons (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=145) cites.

A lot of posters confuse talk shows with the news.

I used to watch FOX all the time. And the NEWS is straight up and mostly non political. Shepard Smith in my opinion clearly voted for Obama and he is their flagship news guy.

The others are talk shows. And to credit Fox, at least they put up both sides of all arguments.

Bob
03-27-2014, 05:57 PM

We have long had a decline in Americans willing to become doctors and nurses.

But when you read of the above fucking then realize the same thing is done by the Federal Government in paying for Medicare, maybe now you know why doctors don't want their own children to become doctors and same for nurses. A client of mine, pharmacist with his doctors degree from UC Berkeley once told me he absolutely did not want his children to get into his line of work.

No, America is fucking itself into being forced to import doctors who don't mind working cheap.

But hell, Obama loves it.

Bob
03-27-2014, 06:05 PM
I don't know how democrats grew up thinking they were entitled to free stuff, but they do!

I grew up as one of them. I also have family to this day who no doubt voted for Obama and will vote for any person so long as the person is a democrat.

We were taught as children how bad republicans are. We were fed a diet of bull shit so don't blame most of them who support Democrats.

As a person matures, some decided to study government and the more one studies it, the more correct you find out the republicans have it.

I am not saying republicans are perfect. They have plenty of flaws, flakes and so forth. But were being a flake a job, Democrats line up to take that job but republicans by accident might become flakes.

Bob
03-27-2014, 06:08 PM

I agree entirely Peter.

Peter1469
03-27-2014, 06:24 PM
Notice: Cigar was banned from this thread for changing a member's quote. (Without making it clear).

zelmo1234
03-27-2014, 06:31 PM
And to pay for foreign adventurism that made Blackwater and Halliburton extremely wealthy firms!

It was not jus those firms there was plenty of money to go around, if you were willing to do the dirty work that the government did not want to have it's finger prints on!

Dr. Who
03-27-2014, 06:39 PM
Cigar has been infracted for editing another member's post and attributing the edited post to that member.