PDA

View Full Version : States Rights ~ Connecticut raises Minimum-Wage

exotix
03-27-2014, 05:25 PM
Just In

Gov. Dannel Malloy has signed a bill that will raise Connecticut's minimum wage to $10.10 an hour by 2017, the highest for any state in the country.

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Malloy-Minimum-Wage-Connecticut-Obama-Bill-Law-Sign-252758541.html

Both houses of the State General Assembly approved the bill Wednesday.

The bill will increase the minimum hourly wage to $9.15 in January, $9.60 in January 2016 and $10.10 in January 2017.

State officials say 70,000 to 90,000 people now earn the minimum wage in Connecticut.

Republicans criticized the increase as another action that makes Connecticut un-competitive

Video Inside

Connecticut Gov. Dannel Malloy

.http://media3.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2014_13/284971/140327-malloy-arkin-1807_0c883d15d4fc188cab0a28e2b0a24800.nbcnews-fp-600-360.jpg

darroll
03-27-2014, 05:33 PM
Why not fifty bucks an hour.
This will add to inflation if our economy gets good enough to inflate.

Cigar
03-27-2014, 05:53 PM
37 Times the Federal Minimum Wage was Raised ... so if the Republicans are right about Raising Federal Minimum Wage causes Business to go bust and people to lose their Jobs ... you'd think that would have evidence x37

:laugh:

Peter1469
03-27-2014, 05:54 PM
States have this authority.

patrickt
03-27-2014, 08:00 PM
States have this authority.

And the right. If the citizens of Connecticut are willing to take the hit on jobs and pay the rising prices, it's fine. Of course, other than buying a few votes for liberals it won't really do anyone any good. Oh, wait, it does increase the taxes the minimum wage workers will be paying.

pjohns
03-27-2014, 09:08 PM
Actually, a state minumum wage is the only sort of minimum wage that makes even a modicum of sense. The cost of living in, say, California is nowhere close to the same thing as the cost of living here in Tennessee. And to try to factor in all the states, and come up with a meaningful average, is simply ridiculous. It is reminiscent, in fact, of Mark Twain's observation about a man with one foot in a bucket of ice water, and the other foot in a bucket of boiling water: He is, on average, "comfortable."

Yes, sometimes averages are utterly meaningless...

Bob
03-27-2014, 09:24 PM
Actually, a state minumum wage is the only sort of minimum wage that makes even a modicum of sense. The cost of living in, say, California is nowhere close to the same thing as the cost of living here in Tennessee. And to try to factor in all the states, and come up with a meaningful average, is simply ridiculous. It is reminiscent, in fact, of Mark Twain's observation about a man with one foot in a bucket of ice water, and the other foot in a bucket of boiling water: He is, on average, "comfortable."

Yes, sometimes averages are utterly meaningless...

I like Mark Twain.

Democrats can't touch that.

Bob
03-27-2014, 09:29 PM
CA will raise the minimum to $9 this July and to $10 by 1916. Some CA cities are already at $10 or more.

Question is what impact has the raises? One might, if one were a Democrat, see it as a boon to those who get paid. However, as we go deeper into the machine age, I expect fast food places to use more machines to get product to customers.

I see a system to take frozen patties and cook them and put them into buns, etc. and the customer pay at the site and the door opens to offer the hamburger. Cutting out those workers who got the raise.

Actually, in the city of highest wages, the machine is in operation.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2012/11/29/automatic_burger_machine_could_revolutionize_fast_ food.html

Automatic burger machine could revolutionize fast foodA San Francisco startup has created the world's first fully automated burger machine — and it could be coming to a fast food joint near you!
By: Marco Chown Oved Staff Reporter, Published on Thu Nov 29 2012

With a beep, a buzz and a whir — and maybe even a little sizzle — the world’s first fully-automatic hamburger machine can prepare, cook and serve a perfect custom-made burger without a single human hand being involved.

A San Francisco startup is taking the Silicon Valley attitude into the fast food market and hoping to revolutionize what they call “the most labour intensive industry in the country.”

Featuring glass tubes filled with lettuce and tomatoes, a meat-grinder, bun slicer, oven and bagger, the alpha machine is part Rube Goldberg, part Jetsons and promises to be the first step in burger evolution since McDonald’s proliferated around the world.

It can produce a custom-made, freshly ground burger, baked to order at a rate of 400 per hour. The machine will add the requested toppings, slicing tomatoes directly onto the burger, and pop out a neatly-wrapped sandwich ready for human consumption.

The makers, Momentum Machines, claim that their invention “does everything employees can do except better.”

The oven employs “gourmet cooking techniques never before used in a fast-food restaurant, giving the patty the perfect char but keeping in all the juices,” according their website.

“It’s more consistent, more sanitary,” and the company claims, “the labour savings allow a restaurant to spend approximately twice as much on high quality ingredients.”

Momentum is planning on demonstrating their invention in a soon to be opened restaurant in San Francisco before franchising it out to any restaurant, convenience store, food truck — or potentially even vending machine — that wants it.

As for all those grill tenders and line cooks made obsolete by the contraption, Momentum offers discounted technical training and says that the money saved on labour will be recycled into restaurant expansion and new job creation.

Plus, according to the website, “the general public saves money on the reduced cost of our burgers. This saved money can then be spent on the rest of the economy.”

It’s a delicious win-win.

Newpublius
03-27-2014, 09:33 PM
37 Times the Federal Minimum Wage was Raised ... so if the Republicans are right about Raising Federal Minimum Wage causes Business to go bust and people to lose their Jobs ... you'd think that would have evidence x37

:laugh:

People never get hired to begin with. Right now at 7.25 an hour a worker in one year gets 14,500, but what if he's actually not worth that amount? There are marginally talented people in this world, out of 300 mn Americans, half do in fact possess below average intelligence. There's your problem, because no matter where you make the minimum wage, somebody simply isn't worth it. In CT that's now a little over $20k. Minimum wage hides it's impact because it impacts a small percentage of the labor force, but the impact is there, the youth unemployment rate is a little over double the general unemployment rate. Over 2mn people in excess of what he general unemployment rate would predict are unemployed and this is exactly what we predict will happen when a price floor is imposed on this subset of the market, because we know that, statistically, the inexperienced, unskilled '18 year old' is statistically more likely not to possess the requisite skills to command the minimum wage, no matter what it is. CT just made it that much more difficult.

Newpublius
03-27-2014, 09:35 PM
CA will raise the minimum to $9 this July and to $10 by 1916. Some CA cities are already at $10 or more.

Question is what impact has the raises? One might, if one were a Democrat, see it as a boon to those who get paid. However, as we go deeper into the machine age, I expect fast food places to use more machines to get product to customers.

I see a system to take frozen patties and cook them and put them into buns, etc. and the customer pay at the site and the door opens to offer the hamburger. Cutting out those workers who got the raise.

Well, aside from that, employers simply will not pay workers not worth $20k+ (10.10*50*40)

A person's labor is simply not worth some arbitrary minimum amount just because the government says so.

Bob
03-27-2014, 09:45 PM
Well, aside from that, employers simply will not pay workers not worth $20k+ (10.10*50*40)

A person's labor is simply not worth some arbitrary minimum amount just because the government says so.

What actually happens to the workers is smart people invent machines that do the jobs at lower prices.

Newpublius
03-27-2014, 09:55 PM
What actually happens to the workers is smart people invent machines that do the jobs at lower prices.

That's part of it, people will attempt to 'substitute capital for labor'

Bob
03-27-2014, 10:11 PM
That's part of it, people will attempt to 'substitute capital for labor'

When I owned the machine shop and cut a lot of steel, aluminum and more, I could have paid one or more workers to use the common hacksaw to cut metal.

I elected to purchase a super fast saw that could bolt through a 3 inch steel bar in a few seconds. Course whis was in the late 1960s. Also, I bought new lathes for workers to use to create products.

Today, those machines are super slow compared to computer ran machines.

The largest lathe, the Colchester was this one.

And the smaller was this one.

Green Arrow
03-28-2014, 02:35 AM
Good on Connecticut. More states need to start taking more responsibility for their citizens and stop waiting for the federal government to do what is in the state's power to do.

zelmo1234
03-28-2014, 04:43 AM
This is well within the rights of a state to do!

It is not likely to lead to prosperity but rather bring more despair, to those that are already hurting.

but it makes people feel good.

Peter1469
03-28-2014, 04:44 AM
And that is what the minimum wage does.

Actually, in the city of highest wages, the machine is in operation.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2012/11/29/automatic_burger_machine_could_revolutionize_fast_ food.html

Automatic burger machine could revolutionize fast food

A San Francisco startup has created the world's first fully automated burger machine — and it could be coming to a fast food joint near you!

By: Marco Chown Oved Staff Reporter, Published on Thu Nov 29 2012
With a beep, a buzz and a whir — and maybe even a little sizzle — the world’s first fully-automatic hamburger machine can prepare, cook and serve a perfect custom-made burger without a single human hand being involved.

A San Francisco startup is taking the Silicon Valley attitude into the fast food market and hoping to revolutionize what they call “the most labour intensive industry in the country.”

Featuring glass tubes filled with lettuce and tomatoes, a meat-grinder, bun slicer, oven and bagger, the alpha machine is part Rube Goldberg, part Jetsons and promises to be the first step in burger evolution since McDonald’s proliferated around the world.

It can produce a custom-made, freshly ground burger, baked to order at a rate of 400 per hour. The machine will add the requested toppings, slicing tomatoes directly onto the burger, and pop out a neatly-wrapped sandwich ready for human consumption.

The makers, Momentum Machines, claim that their invention “does everything employees can do except better.”

The oven employs “gourmet cooking techniques never before used in a fast-food restaurant, giving the patty the perfect char but keeping in all the juices,” according their website.

“It’s more consistent, more sanitary,” and the company claims, “the labour savings allow a restaurant to spend approximately twice as much on high quality ingredients.”

Momentum is planning on demonstrating their invention in a soon to be opened restaurant in San Francisco before franchising it out to any restaurant, convenience store, food truck — or potentially even vending machine — that wants it.

As for all those grill tenders and line cooks made obsolete by the contraption, Momentum offers discounted technical training and says that the money saved on labour will be recycled into restaurant expansion and new job creation.

Plus, according to the website, “the general public saves money on the reduced cost of our burgers. This saved money can then be spent on the rest of the economy.”

It’s a delicious win-win.

Captain Obvious
03-28-2014, 06:42 AM
Goodbye mom and pop, hello walmart and mcdonalds

patrickt
03-28-2014, 06:47 AM
We also are ignoring the fact that businesses which wish to hire for jobs requiring no skills have to compete with welfare. Why take a minimum-wage job if you can do better on welfare?
http://dailycaller.com/2013/08/20/study-welfare-pays-more-than-work-in-most-states/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2013/09/02/on-labor-day-2013-welfare-pays-more-than-minimum-wage-work-in-35-states/

Liberals don't have a lot of experience with either working at minimum wage jobs or running a business that provides minimum wage jobs so they will believe that people who start working a minimum wage job at age 18 are doomed to a life of minimum wage jobs. Of course, those of us who work or run a business know that's nonsense. You start a job with the minimum wage with no skills and no resume. You have no record of performance. As you work you learn. As you work you build a record--for better or worse--and your next job is a better job with better pay and better benefits.

Liberals want people trapped in the poverty of welfare. They're easily controlled. People working and moving out of poverty are not popular with liberals.

Green Arrow
03-28-2014, 06:48 AM
Goodbye mom and pop, hello walmart and mcdonalds

It's not like a low minimum wage hurts them.

Codename Section
03-28-2014, 07:26 AM
Cool for Connecticut. That's federalism.

Green Arrow
03-28-2014, 07:30 AM
This is well within the rights of a state to do!

It is not likely to lead to prosperity but rather bring more despair, to those that are already hurting.

but it makes people feel good.

I think that's just a scare tactic. I've yet to see anyone who believes it present conclusive data supporting it.

Captain Obvious
03-28-2014, 07:35 AM
It's not like a low minimum wage hurts them.

Walmart and McDonalds have the density to absorb increases like this, mom and pop shops don't.

In a way this is actually good news for big retail, small shop competition will be crushed.

American culture = sprawl & monopolies

patrickt
03-28-2014, 09:09 AM
Walmart and McDonalds have the density to absorb increases like this, mom and pop shops don't.

In a way this is actually good news for big retail, small shop competition will be crushed.

American culture = sprawl & monopolies

I think that's just a scare tactic. I've yet to see anyone who believes it present conclusive data supporting it.

Mom and Pop are not going after the same customers as WalMart or McDonalds.

Captain Obvious
03-28-2014, 09:13 AM

Mom and Pop are not going after the same customers as WalMart or McDonalds.

Walmart sells everything. They suck small towns dry of competition when they move in.

Go back to sleep.

Mainecoons
03-28-2014, 09:44 AM
Small shops have been surviving on specialization for quite some time in this age of big box retail. I'm old enough to remember the age of small shops in America for buying most things. Here in Mexico, that is still the norm. And it works like this: Go from shop to shop to shop trying to find stuff. Pay more for it. End up in many cases having to order it and wait for a week or more.

No thanks. Big box succeeds because consumers like it and want it.

Some folks need to catch up in time.

Captain Obvious
03-28-2014, 09:49 AM
Small shops have been surviving on specialization for quite some time in this age of big box retail. I'm old enough to remember the age of small shops in America for buying most things. Here in Mexico, that is still the norm. And it works like this: Go from shop to shop to shop trying to find stuff. Pay more for it. End up in many cases having to order it and wait for a week or more.

No thanks. Big box succeeds because consumers like it and want it.

Some folks need to catch up in time.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-qI7u5PsaFgc/UAmDhG79rQI/AAAAAAAAADU/moDoy_xT3sc/s1600/%22Clone+Family%22+-+circa+1983+%28copyright%29.jpg

The Sage of Main Street
03-28-2014, 11:09 AM
Just

The bill will increase the minimum hourly wage to $9.15 in January, $9.60 in January 2016 and $10.10 in January 2017.

Republicans criticized the increase as another action that makes Connecticut un-competitive.

.http://media3.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2014_13/284971/140327-malloy-arkin-1807_0c883d15d4fc188cab0a28e2b0a24800.nbcnews-fp-600-360.jpg

Why would any state's citizens want to compete for the favors of Greedhead sweatshopping parasites?

The Sage of Main Street
03-28-2014, 11:12 AM
Why not fifty bucks an hour?
This will add to inflation if our economy gets good enough to inflate.

My turn:
You don't want to pay workers anything at all. Put them in chains because they weren't born rich.

darroll
03-28-2014, 02:36 PM
Walmart sells everything. They suck small towns dry of competition when they move in.

Go back to sleep.Not in our town does Wal-Mart hurt other businesses.
The quality of the US worker (Wal-Mart employee) does not care if Wal-mart has eggs or anything else on their shopping list. We are back to our local stores. Go Fred Meyers.

darroll
03-28-2014, 02:46 PM
My turn:
You don't want to pay workers anything at all. Put them in chains because they weren't born rich.Entry level workers are just joining the work force. When I was a kid I used to shovel crap from under the chicken pins. Was this job worth ten bucks an hour? The Mexicans will do it for five bucks now.

zelmo1234
03-28-2014, 03:08 PM

How about the congressional budget office?

http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/economy/198605-cbo-minimum-wage

What liberals do not understand is that companies and businesses have set operating costs. Of those cost of labor is a set percentage, If I am forced to increase the dollar per hour, then I can not provide as many hours?

it is not rocket science, Unless you look at this issue through the eyes of a liberal? Then you think that the business will just take less profit? That does not happen and that is why they do not understand the issue

Bob
03-28-2014, 03:19 PM
How about the congressional budget office?

http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/economy/198605-cbo-minimum-wage

What liberals do not understand is that companies and businesses have set operating costs. Of those cost of labor is a set percentage, If I am forced to increase the dollar per hour, then I can not provide as many hours?

it is not rocket science, Unless you look at this issue through the eyes of a liberal? Then you think that the business will just take less profit? That does not happen and that is why they do not understand the issue

Or prices go up to consumers.

Bob
03-28-2014, 03:27 PM
My turn:
You don't want to pay workers anything at all. Put them in chains because they weren't born rich.

I would probably do very well collecting bets were I to bet those who speak in favor of high minimum wages.

First, there should not be a minimum wage law.

But to win the bet in cyber money, not worth anything, it would be this..

Whom has actually paid payroll?

What do you know about why workers gladly take a job paying a particular sum?

Who knows all the costs of workers?

I speak of more than mere wages.

Newpublius
03-28-2014, 04:00 PM

Youth unemployment is much higher than general unemployment rate. 50% of minimum wage workers are under 25 and within that class, 21% of wage earners earn the minimum wage.

Intuition should be pretty obvious when looking at it from a yearly wage perspective. @ $7.25, that's $14,500. At $10.10, that's $20,200 per year, (Wage*50*40).

Do you believe that every person currently being page $14,500 through say $16,000 is automatically going to be paid $20K per year?

This is why demand curves are downward sloping.

It makes perfect sense too, I mean, we could apply this to barbershops and the government could say they're concerned about barbers and their welfare and establish a law setting the minimum price for a haircut at $20.00......

Or you going to get your haircut more or less? Don't get me wrong, you might get your hair cut the same number of times, but even if you do, note how you have less to spend on OTHER things......

There are even state programs out there which give tax credits to employers who hire ex-convicts and other persons suffering from various forms of mental disabilities. Why is that?

Why won't an employer pay these people minimum wage such that the state feels the need to subsidize the price of labor?

There's no free lunch, there never is.

At the end of the day its very simple, your labor is not worth a set minimum amount set by the government. If somebody does not value your labor up to the minimum wage, they simply will NOT buy that labor.

darroll
03-28-2014, 05:36 PM
If I had no couth and was running for office:
I would tell the people that big business just wants to keep you down by not wanting to raise the minimum wage.
I would tell them how tough it is raising a family working for a fast food place.
Poor little people.
Then I would go out and hire a Mexican to take care of my lawn.

nathanbforrest45
03-28-2014, 06:08 PM

Not to mention that marginally employable people will not have an opportunity to gain any work experience.

The Sage of Main Street
03-29-2014, 12:16 PM
Entry level workers are just joining the work force. When I was a kid I used to shovel crap from under the chicken pins. Was this job worth ten bucks an hour? .

Yes, it is worth $10, based on how much the average person would be able to stand doing it. Imagine if a judge said you had to do that or pay a fine. How much would you be willing to pay to get out of having to shovel shit?

Another basis is that it frees someone who has special skills to do his own work. Suppose he produces $100 an hour. If there were no janitors, the hour he will have to spend cleaning up his workspace costs the company $100, so that is how much the janitor is worth, minus profit for the company. I can see where it would profit the company to have someone come in and shave him if it freed him to do valuable work in that time. Or the company driver freeing him to do work over his cellphone or on his laptop.

patrickt
03-29-2014, 09:27 PM
Just In

Gov. Dannel Malloy has signed a bill that will raise Connecticut's minimum wage to $10.10 an hour by 2017, the highest for any state in the country.

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Malloy-Minimum-Wage-Connecticut-Obama-Bill-Law-Sign-252758541.html

Both houses of the State General Assembly approved the bill Wednesday.

State officials say 70,000 to 90,000 people now earn the minimum wage in Connecticut.

Republicans criticized the increase as another action that makes Connecticut un-competitive

Video Inside

It's sad with a troll starts a thread to get conservatives to condemn states rights and it doesn't happen.

Newpublius
03-29-2014, 10:12 PM
With respect to states' rights, ie reserved powers. I actually am of the opinion that the Contracts Coause should forbid any legislation on the topic, but naturally conceding Contracts Clause, employer/employee is inherently intrastate at its course and at the very least shouldn't be governed by Federal law, and constitutional issues notwithstandings, the should/shouldn't is still a different issue from can/can't

Bob
03-29-2014, 11:26 PM
States rights make perfect sense once you realize it is the State and not the Feds that holds most power. I blame Democrats for twisting this to make it seem the Feds should hold most power.

States wanted some way to link with each other. As the vehicle, they created a Federal government. It was more like a umpire than the players.

If state A had a dispute with state B, and could not resolve it, then the Feds held the keys.

The wording of the constitution backs my view up.

patrickt
03-30-2014, 07:40 AM
Congress has ceded their authority and the states are just starting to fight back.